Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Strings

Old 11-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Posting Member

Greg Lorisco is on a distinguished road
Cool Bass Burners Taper Core

What is the difference or advantage in using just the taper B vs a taper B, E, and A?

For the low B (130) it really adds to the clarity and intonation, but I can’t tell the difference between a tapered E or A and a non-tapered E or A.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Lorisco View Post
What is the difference or advantage in using just the taper B vs a taper B, E, and A?

For the low B (130) it really adds to the clarity and intonation, but I can’t tell the difference between a tapered E or A and a non-tapered E or A.

Any thoughts?
If YOU can't tell the difference then maybe it doesn't matter for YOU. The tension is different between the two styles and some players and or basses benefit from the taper design. The B seems to change more between the two styles. We use to Taper the Ds as well but found the difference too slight to continue making them tapered so we stopped on the Ds.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Posting Member

Ahh? So the tension is less with the taper than without?

And I guess I should have said that the E and A sound better to me with a non-taper core; fuller, rounder, more punchy, exactly what you (I) would want the meat and potatoes section of the bass to sound like.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb maybe...

Quote:
Ahh? So the tension is less with the taper than without?

And I guess I should have said that the E and A sound better to me with a non-taper core; fuller, rounder, more punchy, exactly what you (I) would want the meat and potatoes section of the bass to sound like.
With the TC you must raise your bridge saddles up or lower them with non tapered ones. The extra height if not adjusted might be the difference you feel. The TCs sit down lower near the core and the bridge saddles need to be raised up if switching from non tapered. The same in reverse or going from TC to Non TC.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
With the TC you must raise your bridge saddles up or lower them with non tapered ones. The extra height if not adjusted might be the difference you feel. The TCs sit down lower near the core and the bridge saddles need to be raised up if switching from non tapered. The same in reverse or going from TC to Non TC.
Good point!

Thanks
Old 11-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Posting Member

Ken, can you explain the different attributes of the taper vs straight string? I.e. tension, sound differences, intonation, action, etc?
Old 11-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool well..

Quote:
Ken, can you explain the different attributes of the taper vs straight string? I.e. tension, sound differences, intonation, action, etc?
I can try but this is only my personal feelings on it. I think that certain things like after lengths and bend angles at the head and bridge change the feel and maybe the tension under your fingers. Mostly to me it's the feel but I never measured it other than just feeling it.

The tapered type string seems more true to my ear in tone and intonation. You can't cheat as much with them. Some people like the 'less definite' type intonation when playing because playing anything perfectly in tune is nearly impossible. The pressing down of a string bends it over the fret and sharpens the note as down any microscopic bending of the string to either side. Sometimes things go unnoticed and sometimes not.

To me, the TC string brings out the best in the bass. You just have to measure up to the instrument and try playing it as accurate as we tried in building it. Sounds easier than it is. If you think that's a challenge then try playing the Double Bass perfectly in tune in a Symphony Orchestra.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Posting Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I can try but this is only my personal feelings on it. I think that certain things like after lengths and bend angles at the head and bridge change the feel and maybe the tension under your fingers. Mostly to me it's the feel but I never measured it other than just feeling it.

The tapered type string seems more true to my ear in tone and intonation. You can't cheat as much with them. Some people like the 'less definite' type intonation when playing because playing anything perfectly in tune is nearly impossible. The pressing down of a string bends it over the fret and sharpens the note as down any microscopic bending of the string to either side. Sometimes things go unnoticed and sometimes not.

To me, the TC string brings out the best in the bass. You just have to measure up to the instrument and try playing it as accurate as we tried in building it. Sounds easier than it is. If you think that's a challenge then try playing the Double Bass perfectly in tune in a Symphony Orchestra.
To my ear the non-taper has a deeper fuller sound than the taper, but I have to admit that is based on a comparison of other (non-smith) strings. So comparing the KS regular to another brand tapers, the KS have a deeper fuller sound. Maybe that is because all KS strings have fuller sound and the KS tapers will sound the same only with more clarity? I don’t know.

This is my first time using KS strings (not on a KS bass), and I like the result. I will need to try KS tapers to tell for sure the difference.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Question Well?

Quote:
.... I will need to try KS tapers to tell for sure the difference.
So, have you tried them yet?

Old 01-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
So, have you tried them yet?

Yes. I tried them on my Pedula Thunderbass 5 and my BT6. IMO they lack some of the “meat” of the regular KS Burners. But the burners add a great meaty sound to the Pedula Thunderbass 5. And are awesome on the BT6 as well.

They do add some clarity, but where I play mostly they want to hear the low rumble all the time so clarity doesn’t give me enough bottom. So I use the regular burners with only the tapered B.