Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > Chinese/Asian

Old 09-07-2009, 04:41 AM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Christopher Basses

I'm the proud owner of a Christopher 500 series fully carved, spruce/ebony violin shaped double bass. It took me a while to get the set up right, but now it really seems to be singing. I've got Bel Canto strings on. Are there any Christopher owners out there who want to talk about these basses?
Old 09-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Senior Posting Member

I guess not.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Posting Member

Ken McKay is on a distinguished road

Richard,

I have a good customer who plays a nice shiny Christopher. I don't know the number or model but he gets a great amount of tone from that bass. He uses Helicore strings and has the height of his strings a bit high by my standards. The neck is a bit thick and it is heavy bass overall. The finish is very nice with not a flaw anywhere. The fingerboard is high quality ebony and is dressed well.

They are a nice instrument similar to some Shen models and X Sun.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McKay View Post
Richard,

I have a good customer who plays a nice shiny Christopher. I don't know the number or model but he gets a great amount of tone from that bass. He uses Helicore strings and has the height of his strings a bit high by my standards. The neck is a bit thick and it is heavy bass overall. The finish is very nice with not a flaw anywhere. The fingerboard is high quality ebony and is dressed well.
They are a nice instrument similar to some Shen models and X Sun.
Thanks Ken,
It was getting a bit lonely on this thread. Luthiers in NZ seem to like setting up basses too high - none of the local ones play a bass, could be the reason. After mine came back from three luthiers, I read Ken's (Smith) advice and wound my adjustible bridge right down. It's not a perfect set up now, but it's pretty good. Mine is a 503 violin shape - 2nd to top model. They do have a thick neck, but I'm really enjoying playing mine. It has a good tone and seems to love the Bel Canto strings. Mine doesn't seem too shiny, but I seem to be scratching it quite a bit - my bass gets a lot of playing and moving around.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:07 AM
Senior Posting Member

I took my Christopher out on a gig tonight - it was very, very slightly amplified. The room was big and empty. The bass filled the space. I really like my Christopher.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Posting Member

I've had a busy week at work and only got to put my hands on my Christopher for about 10 min. last night. I wish I could have stayed longer as it felt so good.
Hey, this thread is mainly me.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Junior Posting Member

Rick Auvil is on a distinguished road
Default Christopher 5-String

Just playing my Christopher 500 series Busetto fiver for a bit. Giving thanks (after all it IS Thanksgiving evening!) It's sounding better every week! My wife always complains about the low B; it seems to keep her awake! Happy Thanksgiving to all - give thanks for your families, your health, and your talent!
Old 11-29-2010, 02:13 AM
Posting Member

Terry McDougal is on a distinguished road

I've tried those Christophers and they sound great to me.
I tried basses from the 500 and 600 series - quite similar, methinks.

Last edited by Terry McDougal; 11-29-2010 at 02:14 AM. Reason: adding intfo
Old 06-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Posting Member

Shane Wilcox is on a distinguished road

In case anyone is interested, I am the proud purchaser (if not quite yet the possessor) of a new Christopher 401T (i.e. carved Gamba flatback). It's a biggish 3/4 size (on some websites it appears to be listed as a 3/4-7/8), dark matte stain, nicely put together and with Rubner machine heads and an adjustable bridge. It's strung with Corellis (I'm assuming from their gauge and tension that they are the 370M, but waiting on confirmation of that), and sounded loud and rich played pizz.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to play it under the bow. The vendor (an experienced bassist, but not a luthier) loosened the strings (in his defense, it was only a little) in order to lower the bridge and the sound post dropped. He thinks it may have been on the short side, but will obviously be getting it back to his luthier. Good that it happened in his shop while he was messing with it!

I compared it with a Stentor (see other thread), and a German carved bass from the 60s (looks very much like the vendor's Hofner from a similar time). Much bigger and "fuller" (I guess more pleasant combination of harmonics??) sound than either of them, at least pizzicato. There were a number of other Chinese and Korean basses there, but these were not really in the same league (or price bracket!)

I'm looking forward to its arrival, probably in a week or so, and if I have anything further to add, especially regarding how it plays bowed, I will.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wilcox View Post
In case anyone is interested, I am the proud purchaser (if not quite yet the possessor) of a new Christopher 401T (i.e. carved Gamba flatback). It's a biggish 3/4 size (on some websites it appears to be listed as a 3/4-7/8), dark matte stain, nicely put together and with Rubner machine heads and an adjustable bridge. It's strung with Corellis (I'm assuming from their gauge and tension that they are the 370M, but waiting on confirmation of that), and sounded loud and rich played pizz.
Well done Shane!
I'll look forward to hearing it.
Let me know when you're taking it to a gig.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:44 AM
Posting Member

Shane Wilcox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
Well done Shane!
I'll look forward to hearing it.
Let me know when you're taking it to a gig.
Cheers, Richard. Have a gig at Meow on 1/7/11; hopefully I'll be comfortable enough with it by then to play some relatively straightforward country in a new band I seem to have got myself into.

Apparently the strings on the bass are Corelli 370TX, the "heavy" tungsten set. If these are the heavy ones, I'm not sure I'd be able to see the light gauges. Have a good rep as a bowed string, so looking forward to trying them.