Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > English Basses & the British Isles

Old 05-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Stamps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlopetro View Post
Is that a Crown? (English -> Monarchy -> Crown) Having a stamp sure makes it easier to ID those basses eh?

The insert in the back button of the Hart is sure a classy touch!

I noticed a stamp of 'Birmingham' on one of the posts on TB. None of your bass's stamps bear the location but rather the maker. - Intertesting - I wonder why some would rather mark the location rather than the maker???? Did England have certain areas that where known for instrument making simalir to say Mirecourt in France.

I also wonder if English makers where concerned with a better way of identifying their instruments than paper labels that could be removed? I have seen books with collections of photos of Violin labels, I wonder if anyone has ever catalogued English stamp?

Mystery????
On the Birmingham it is actually 2 lines that says (top) T.DAVIES - (bottom) Birmingham and stamped on either side, 18----98;

On the Hart, what ever was there originally was lost years ago so we made the new 'Coin' to mark the Bass and fill the empty hole.

On the Dodd (Crown?), the first Bass shown, I have no idea what that says in the upper Back. The two diamond shaped patches in the neck button were a from repair done ages ago.

Also, on my Gilkes is has the location as well as the name stamped by the bottom Block on the Ribs;

When stamped, the names are usually shown but on occasion the place might be under it but never without the name unless it's worn away or missing from a repair.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool and...

Amongst the Great English Basses, I am compelled to add this one to the list, aka 'The Mystery Bass'.

Just about everyone now (not all) have either said it's English or 'agreed' it's English. The difference between 'said' and 'agreed' is "THAT'S an English Bass!"(said) or "Yes, I agree, it looks English"(agreed). The Mystery as far as Origin, has come to a close. Period wise, I am still not 100% sure but I think we are close. Maker wise, your guess is as good as mine for the moment.

As far as using the word 'Great' next to this Bass, it comes only with comparisons of other Basses that are agreed as being 'great' sounding.
I place this Bass sound-wise between my former Dodd and my attributed Storioni which is currently in restoration. It sounds at least as good if not better than the Dodd and not quite as sweet as the Storioni. That opinion comes only a few days after it was strung up for the first time in at least 30-50 years if not more. From looking at the Bridge that came with the Bass as well as the size and shape of the BassBar, this Bass has never seen a steel string before as the Bridge was cut for Gut.

Add this Bass to the Gallery of the Greats.. please!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jack McFadden is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Jack McFadden Send a message via Yahoo to Jack McFadden
Default William Baker, 1833

Hello:
I'm new here, and maybe you'd like to look at my beautiful 1833 William Baker.

cheers,

Jack

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baker - front.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1334  Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1335  Click image for larger version

Name:	machine.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1336  
Old 11-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack McFadden View Post
Hello:
I'm new here, and maybe you'd like to look at my beautiful 1833 William Baker.

cheers,

Jack
beautiful indeed. You posted this on my English thread on TB and I remember it well. So, you are sending me this bass for being a good guy?

Well, in either case I would love to play it and compare with my Hart and English School basses. My Dodd, Gilkes and 4/4 Gamba are gone so I cant compare them anymore but still, I think 3 can be a party if you show up, no?

I have an early Hawkes roundback here to compare it to as well having Baker keys on it as well as an English Scroll, French Linings, German arching and Italian style bottom Block.. It's got a bit of everything in it.

I am curious to seeing how this stacks up to other fine English Pedigrees like your Baker. Please, make the trip over..

Thanks once again for posting the pics. The more the merrier.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack McFadden View Post
...and maybe you'd like to look at my beautiful 1833 William Baker.

cheers,

Jack
YES! Thanks!
Old 01-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Arrow new find..

A beautiful and rare English Bass just showed up on the market. My first thoughts were that it reminded me of the attributed Dodd I had a few years back which we never really confirmed its identity. The following morning after this new find was posted Anthony Houska of the Contrabass Shoppe emailed me to tell me just about the same thing. This new find by George Craske is of similar work to my attr. Dodd. Not exact but close enough in my opinion to warrant mentioning it. Mr. Houska is quite certain that my old bass was by Craske as well.

Here is the Craske;

Here is the link to the former attributed Dodd it resembles.

Craske reportedly made only about 20 double basses and is also listed as an out-worker or supplier to Dodd. We were never able to make out the Stamp on the Back as one shop thought it said 'Betts' but it clearly didn't match the other stamps of Betts. Maybe the stamp is from Craske, I don't know.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Interesting. I see at least as many differences as similarities. In my opinion, it is not possible to accurately attribute a bass via internet-posted pictures. You really have to see it in person to absorb the maker's influence and inspect clues like the linings, edge work, etc. I looked at the posting on CS's website--wow, talk about long-winded!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question well..

Speaking of English, who do we really think made this Bass?

When you see a classic d'Salo/Maggini B.S. Fendt, it becomes a bit obvious what it is. Most all other English basses are hard to identify, at lease in my opinion.

(Fendt pics courtesy AES.. Thank's Arnold)
Old 03-15-2011, 01:56 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up Whopper landed..

This Whopper is not a burger. It is a 4/4 bass by William Tarr from Manchester, 1929 #8. Tarr is recorded as producing 208 basses, mostly Gamba models. This bass has Violin corners and a flatback as with all W.Tarr basses that I know of.

It is written that at one music festival in Dublin where the Gentleman's Orchestra of Manchester performed, all of the 9 basses were made by Wlm. Tarr. This later became the Halle Orchestra. This and the other basses are known as the Halle Tarr basses. Full sized violin models.

In 1959 this bass was cut down a bit by maybe 2" or more in length and an inch or so in the width of the bouts. Recalling the measurements I took last night, the lower bout is currently 29" or so, the upper is 23"+ and the center almost 17 1/2". This was a HUGE bass but, with the flatback and the upper angle break, quite playable.

The Neck stand looks 100% original, out maybe 20mm. The joint is a wide slightly dovetail but mostly a hidden mortise with only maybe 1-2mm of difference between the the Top and the Neck as far as dovetail taper goes.

The Gears, original Manchester Tarr Gears, not unlike Baker's in construction but a different design. In fact, the Gears Arnold used for the copy of my Cornerless are actually Tarr copies but mis-named by the dealer that sells them. Once i get pics up in a few weeks, all of this will be clear.

Using a UV light, magnifier and flashlight, I cannot find a graft in the Neck/Pegbox joint. The Scroll is the real deal, Early Tarr. The FFs are about the most beautiful Norther English FFs I have ever seen. Long, wide, slightly slanted and beautifully cut. The Top is 'highly arched.

The sound, fasten your seat belts. This IS an Orchestra Bass. Deep Organ lows, smooth and sweet mids and LOUD.

I have seen one other Tarr like this but still full sized, not Cut. I do not know for sure is that one was a Halle bass but surely the same exact model, 4/4 violin flatback.

Both the Top and Back are made in 4 pieces. One main book-matched piece and narrower split and matched wings that are cut thru in the C bouts. The Corners are very subtle on these models.

This model is the King of the Northern English models.