Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > Italian Bass School

Old 10-29-2009, 06:42 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Guiseppe Lombardi

Sometime around 1975/78 or so while in the NY shop of Paul Biase I tried this new Italian Bass by Lombardi he had just brought over from Italy. The price then was about what my old Italian bass had cost me with purchase and restoration combined. That was the last time until just a couple of years ago when I was offered one from a friend in Italy that saw one for sale and thought I might be interested. I then made the deal and had it shipped over. In the mean time looking on like I found 3 others for sale. All of them were round backs but this one was a flat back. I don't recall what he back was on the first one I tried about 30 or so years ago but the sound was nice.

When I unpacked the bass, I found it in just about its original state with all the fittings but maybe the bridge but not sure. All of the parts that would normally be Ebony were Wenge, an exotic African hardwood. This included the Fingerboard, Nut, lower saddle, tailpiece and the endpin socked.

I did a basic set up and even played the bass in a concert shortly after arrival. The sound was pretty loud. Bright under the ear with the old set of flatchromes on it but deep sounding overall and in the distance.

A few months later I had a visit from Nick Lloyd and Phil Maneri (aka Uncletoad on TB). Phil had brought Nick along to look at this nice big Bass I had there for sale which is know known to us as the 'Alsatian Queen'. I had asked Nick before coming if he could pick up an old Italian Bass I recently bought that needed a big restoration. After examining that bass, he said he had room for 2 more basses in the car besides the 'Queen and did I have one other Bass possibly that needed less work like set-up or whatever. I showed him the Lombardi and mentioned it needed a Fingerboard and Bridge at least and a good setup afterwards.

Well, when all was done, the winter was in full swing when he noticed that the Back which was repaired one some time ago needed to be done once again as the repair was failing in our dry winter weather. At that point I gave him the ok to take off the back and do a full restoration on it.

The Lombardi is back from its restoration now looking and sounding better than ever. It was made in 1981 but sounds and looks much older. Here she is;

I took it out to a rehearsal a week ago and I was quite impressed with the sound.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

nice bass!
Old 10-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Junior Posting Member

Stefano Senni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Stefano Senni

a great looking Lombardi
Old 11-03-2009, 06:37 AM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Nice.

I know it's not "ideal" from most builder's perspectives, but I love the look of a slab cut top!

BG