Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > Italian Bass School

Old 02-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb "Cornerless Italian & Spanish Basses"

I know we have a similar Thread in 'General Bass Talk' but I thought I would kick off another Thread about this subject as this Guitar/Pear model that we occasionally see is usually of the Italian School.

Recently, a Bass player in 'The NYC Ballet' acquired David Walters' cornerless Bass attr. to Testore. Some have referred to it as a Spanish Bass as they too are known for making this style but did they really make them? Every old cornerless Bass I have seen looks Italian to me regardless of what they call it. Does anyone really know what the origin is of the Cornerless Bass?

The Bass I just acquired has a Brescian type Scroll with a Cornerless shape. The Scroll is on the short side with plugs visible from its 3-string days. The non-ebony Tailpiece also has 3 plugs from when it was a 3-stringer but has since had 4 new holes drilled and an upper lip added at the top of the TP.

This Bass though is loooong.. 44 1/4" string length now but about 44 1/2" if we make a new Bridge with the current Neck and neck-set. For this, we have a vague plan as far as shortening the string length and keeping it playable as well as its thick organ-like sound.

So, please post your Italian Cornerless Bass stories here and post any pics of any Bass you can find anywhere that is both 'Cornerless and Italian' in origin for discussion purposes. I will get my page up in a day or so from this posting and then link it from here.

NOTE: As of this edit on 4/29/07 I just changed the title to include Spanish Basses as many 'attributed' Italian Cornerless Basses may be actually Spanish. Although this style is believed to have originated in Italy, it is the main style that was adapted in Spain as well.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Posting Member

Brian Glassman is on a distinguished road
Default Modello "a Pera"

Here's a new made Italian Pear shaped bass by Sergio Scaramelli of Cremona:

http://www.contrabbassi.it/contrabbasso_pera_cassa.htm

BG
Old 02-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Similar..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Glassman View Post
Here's a new made Italian Pear shaped bass by Sergio Scaramelli of Cremona:

http://www.contrabbassi.it/contrabbasso_pera_cassa.htm

BG
Very similar to my Bass in basic shape and form but mine I believe is quite a bit bigger.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Smile Storioni Bass

Ok Guys, heres my Storioni Bass.

Two older appraisals have it as a Gasparo d'Salo and I do see the Brescian connection in the Scroll but not in the age. The FFs have me puzzled and the Varnish looks fantastic. Still, I can't be 100% certain it's actually Storioni or even another more famous maker. The sound is to die for and the beauty, well that depends on what you like. Stunning is my description. What's yours?
Old 02-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Posting Member

davidseidel is on a distinguished road
Default thats a beautiful big guitar

Wow that is an impressive looking instrument. Does the guitar shape have any advantages or disadvantages for practical playing comfort? I never have tried one myself. Funny how a long stop doesn't always feel noticeable. Will you take it on a gig in present condition?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Junior Posting Member

Ron Lacey is on a distinguished road

I'd go with impressive, too. With a 44 1/4" scale length it must be huge!! How do you carry that beauty with no corners to grab?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidseidel View Post
Wow that is an impressive looking instrument. Does the guitar shape have any advantages or disadvantages for practical playing comfort? I never have tried one myself. Funny how a long stop doesn't always feel noticeable. Will you take it on a gig in present condition?
It is so easy to play, My Gilkes is 41" string length and is harder to play with its higher shoulders and violin corners. The middle bout on the Storioni is 1 1/8" wider but it's easier to bow without hitting anything.

I took the Bass to an Orchestra rehearsal tonight. We had to add an extra 'p' from pp to ppp because this Bass added to much bottom to the orchestra and I was plucking in 5th position in the pizz sections to play softer. With my other Orchestra I have rehearsal tomorrow (thurs eve.) and Saturday morning with a Sat. eve. concert. Yes, I am playing the Bass now as-is but with a basic set-up that took me about 4 hours last night. I made a new Nut after I took off the extension, re-cut the Bridge top and changed the strings. The E-string is still in the 'A' peg like it was with the Extension but it's a Stark non-ext Flexocor. The other strings are reg Flex, normal gauge, not Starks.

Quote:
Ron Lacey; I'd go with impressive, too. With a 44 1/4" scale length it must be huge!! How do you carry that beauty with no corners to grab?
It is not easy to lift or carry. Something I will have to get used to. The sound is well worth any simple troubles like that. Tonight I stood up for over 2 hours straight, no break. Tomorrow I have a 3 hour rehearsal with a break. I will be sitting as there is a stool there for me.

With this Bass I can feel the sound better then I can hear it. I have to lean into the neck to hear my intonation. The Bassist on 3rd stand who knows this Bass and first told me about it a few years ago mentioned how loud it was tonight. The bottom two strings are earth shaking. It's more like a tidal wave pushing from under the ocean than a 20ft surf with everything out front like my Gilkes is which by the way is a cannon over the Storioni but the Storioni is an earthquake to be felt. By the time you hear it, it's too late!
Old 02-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Junior Posting Member

Ron Lacey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The bottom two strings are earth shaking. It's more like a tidal wave pushing from under the ocean than a 20ft surf with everything out front like my Gilkes is which by the way is a cannon over the Storioni but the Storioni is an earthquake to be felt. By the time you hear it, it's too late!

Yeah, that's the stuff!! That's what I love about THE BASS!
Old 02-09-2007, 12:28 AM
Posting Member

Ken McKay is on a distinguished road

That is one cool big guitar.

Here is the start of mine that I am building. http://www.upnorthstrings.com/cornerlessbass.html
Old 02-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up re: Big Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McKay View Post
That is one cool big guitar.

Here is the start of mine that I am building. http://www.upnorthstrings.com/cornerlessbass.html
I played it last night in my main Orchestra sitting on a stool and I must tell you it was sooooo comfortable. No Corners hitting my legs or Bow. The length was not painful. Just a bit out of tune from time to time but I will improve with that as I already have. The day before, I could not play the Vivo solo in the Pulcinella in tune. Last night I almost nailed it. Just a few notes and shifts I need some extra traveling to reach the intonation point. So in just a few days I have gone from 'total fear' of a bass over 42" to 'not so bad' on a Bass over 44"! Now, put that in your Bow and smoke it!

On the sitting thing, I must admit that this Bass just melted in my lap like no other has while sitting. I often alternate between sitting and standing mainly due to some discomfort with the Bass on the stool. Last night I was ready to put this Bass and its feel in my personal 'hall of fame' as far as all time most comfortable goes.

Ken, go and make your cornerless Bass. As much as an eyesore they might be to some makes up the difference in comfort for the player. Yes, carrying it out of the case is not as easy (so I grab it under the FB) but once you play it standing or sitting, all those problems go away in your mind.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Junior Posting Member

Charlie Hack is on a distinguished road
Default GUITAR vs. PEAR

Beautiful bass, Ken. The varnish is such a beautiful, deep color. Another question from an overly curious student: What is the difference between the two terms 'GUITAR-model' and 'PEAR-model'? One reads of the 'French Pear Model', but I suspect that is in reference to the older Gamba-form basses with sloping shoulders and... well... rather 'healthy' bottoms. But I have also heard of cornerless basses referred to as pear-shaped, and they certainly look like pears. Perhaps it has something to do with the relative sizes of the bouts?

Cheers all,

Charlie
Old 02-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Names..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hack View Post
Beautiful bass, Ken. The varnish is such a beautiful, deep color. Another question from an overly curious student: What is the difference between the two terms 'GUITAR-model' and 'PEAR-model'? One reads of the 'French Pear Model', but I suspect that is in reference to the older Gamba-form basses with sloping shoulders and... well... rather 'healthy' bottoms. But I have also heard of cornerless basses referred to as pear-shaped, and they certainly look like pears. Perhaps it has something to do with the relative sizes of the bouts?

Cheers all,

Charlie
Yes, the Varnish is beautiful and of a very high quality as is the wood under it. On the names, like anything else, these are just nick names to describe a shape. Pear or Guitar describes a cornerless Bass just fine. Pear also refers to a sloped top bout as in the French Basses you mentioned. My Loveri is a Pear shaped Bass but it's not Cornerless! However, it was cut down to this shape in 1937 which was around the time we started seeing those French Pear type Basses in Gamba or Violin shape as long as the shoulders are extremely sloped.

By the way, I played my Cornerless Bass tonight in a concert. The sound is hard to describe but something that I have only dreamed about in the past if that helps at all.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road
Default Godfrey Sheppard cornerless

Here's a link to a bass patterned after Storioni.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Patterned after?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post
Here's a link to a bass patterned after Storioni.
I wonder if he is using the Bass pictured in the Elgar Book. Last I heard, that Bass is NOT a Storioni. Although my Bass was attributed to Storioni when in the possession of the previous owner, it doesn't mean that it is. Attributions can be misleading if the original is not what it claims to be.

In either case, his copy is very similar to mine in style but the dimensions have been modified to have a shorter and more normal strings length.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Posting Member

Ken,

Could you please look inside there when you get a chance and tell me the bracing on the sides. I am at that point in my cornerless construction and need some help.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Bracing?

Quote:
Ken,

Could you please look inside there when you get a chance and tell me the bracing on the sides. I am at that point in my cornerless construction and need some help.
There is no internal Bracing that I can see but the Ribs were repaired in the past and Doubled all around in Spruce. It looks to be one continuous bend all around each Rib. I don't know if this is the best way or not.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Posting Member

Ken, sorry to be a pest but does the doubling spruce run the same way as the sides or across?

I am thinking about doing this type of bracing across the sides in 4 places on each side. What do you think?http://www.contrabbassi.it/contrabba...struments.htm# go down to part under construction and look at the cross braces on the sides.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Ribs..

Quote:
Ken, sorry to be a pest but does the doubling spruce run the same way as the sides or across?

I am thinking about doing this type of bracing across the sides in 4 places on each side. What do you think?http://www.contrabbassi.it/contrabba...struments.htm# go down to part under construction and look at the cross braces on the sides.
Yes, I see that on Sergio's page but that is not a Guitar shape model. My Loveri Bass with new Ribs from Scalzilli (replaced in 1937 when he cut the Bass) has a center strip in the center Bout from Top to Back. I don't know if that's good or not. My cornerless Bass has the typical inner linings and the Spruce doubling grain runs from top to back in direction 90 degrees (opposite) to the grain of the Ribs.

Here are some photos from Jeff Bollbach's web showing Wood/Linen striping which would be better I think than complete doubling as far as controlling 'voids' in the joints.

If my Ribs need to be re-done internally, this is what I would feel better about seeing in a restoration.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Senior Posting Member

Matthew Tucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew Tucker

Stefano Sciascia told me that his old italian cornerless bass has "TELA DI SACCO" (sack-cloth) lining all around, and no visible wooden reinforcement.

Last edited by Matthew Tucker; 02-19-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb sack-cloth lining all around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
Stefano told me that his old italian cornerless bass has sack-cloth lining all around, and no visible wooden reinforcement.
Sack-cloth lining all around? Oh, ok but it would be nice if we could see some pics of Stefano Sciascia's Bass you refer to. Also, if the Bass is old and has a lot of rib cracks, stripping like in Jeff's pics would make it easier to repair.

One other thing especially in new Basses is that when the Back moves thru the seasons you want either a seam to pop or the Rib to crack. If the Rib construction is too strong like with 20th century German Basses with lining in and outside the Ribs, Only the Top will crack or in the case of a Flatback, maybe the Back as well.

Just ask any repairman in the northeast how many Juzekish Basses (mainly those Germanic style shop Basses with outer linings on them) are flooding the benches this winter with cracks. Arnold, Jeff and a NJ repairman have told me how busy they are with mainly these 'stronger constructed' Basses just 'cracking up' and not from my jokes!

One of my newer Basses (20th century) was repaired this past summer and in the beginning of this winter each lower seam popped from the bottom Block up about a foot or less on each side a few weeks apart from each other. After I re-glued them nice and tight with hide glue, the Top split up a few inches from the outer lower flank from the edge thru the purfling in line with the outer edge of the F-hole but only about 6" long. I glued that right away to stop it from spreading. A week later the lower seam on the same side popped again and this time some splinters of the Back were still on the Ribs so I know it wasn't my Glue job. The wood just needed to move. Then I decided to leave it alone until after the winter and fix it in the spring after the Bass settles from the dry weather.

So, don't build the Ribs so strong that the Top or Back becomes the first victim.