Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > Modern Handmade Basses

Old 10-05-2015, 08:26 AM
Posting Member

Jeremy Darrow is on a distinguished road
Default Seth Kimmel Cornerless Bass

I just got home from a tour that included some stops in the Pacific Northwest. While I was in Eugene, OR, I had the chance to visit with Seth Kimmel and to play one his recent basses. It's a cornerless model with a removable neck (I'll post a picture later). The bass is beautiful and sounds great pizz and under the bow, it's also one of the best-playing basses I have come across. Seth is a unique guy and his character is reflected in the bass. There is a heart-shaped opening on the e-string side to make it easier to carry the bass, along with two heart-shaped sound ports on the upper shoulder and few other tiny hearts inlaid on the scroll and back in contrasting wood. This bass really impressed me and was a lot of fun to spend some time with.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Darrow View Post
I just got home from a tour that included some stops in the Pacific Northwest. While I was in Eugene, OR, I had the chance to visit with Seth Kimmel and to play one his recent basses. It's a cornerless model with a removable neck (I'll post a picture later). The bass is beautiful and sounds great pizz and under the bow, it's also one of the best-playing basses I have come across. Seth is a unique guy and his character is reflected in the bass. There is a heart-shaped opening on the e-string side to make it easier to carry the bass, along with two heart-shaped sound ports on the upper shoulder and few other tiny hearts inlaid on the scroll and back in contrasting wood. This bass really impressed me and was a lot of fun to spend some time with.
Pictures = "proof of life"! (:
Old 10-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Posting Member

Jeremy Darrow is on a distinguished road

Here's a picture:

Seth has more images, including the heart cutouts and inlays, on his website.

http://www.sethkimmel.com/#!bigfoots-guitar-photos/cxdd

Edit: It seems my own photo didn't link correctly. Seth's are much nicer anyway and really show off the bass. I wasn't sold on all the hearts at first, but I came to think they were really charming and gave the bass a feeling of playfulness.