Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 02-19-2008, 03:28 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow KC Endpins...

I want to report about this new and fantastic Endpin I have been trying. It's the new KC Strings Wood Endpin with Carbon fiber rod and metal tip. I use a rubber tip screwed on when needed on slippery floors too.

They make several types but this is the type I am using at the moment;

I got two of them in different lengths and different Rod sizes as well for the two Endpin types My Basses have already.

I first tested this on a few Basses at Arnold's shop and the sound difference was very noticeable. Now I use them with almost every Bass of mine. I carry the adjustable rod that came with my Endpin just in case I need to go higher but so far, it's been only the KC unit that I've needed.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:33 AM
Posting Member

davidseidel is on a distinguished road
Default kc

Thanks for posting those thoughts Ken - I have been thinking of trying these too, so its great to know that you could feel a difference there. What do you do with the pin when you transport the bass? Also did you just estimate an approximate length and order it that way?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool what..

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidseidel View Post
Thanks for posting those thoughts Ken - I have been thinking of trying these too, so its great to know that you could feel a difference there. What do you do with the pin when you transport the bass? Also did you just estimate an approximate length and order it that way?
I always take the Pin out and put my Wheel in! If I don't use a wheel, I would push the adjustable Pin inside but in this case, just remove it.

I mostly sit so I measured with two of my Basses, the Martini and the Gilkes. The Gilkes has the Carbon Fiber rod Endpin and the Martini has that metal rod. I adjusted the height, measured it and gave the #s to KC to custom make the 'Pins.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Junior Posting Member

Ron Lacey is on a distinguished road
Default Peg Leg anyone

I haven't tried it but I think the KC Strings "Peg Leg" is a clever solution to a Laborie style endpin without drilling a hole in your bass. Anyone tried one?
Old 02-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

Here's a source for metric carbon fiber rods (this page is for solid rods, not tubes). The sound difference is remarkable, even on my inexpensive bass.

Following luthier Michael Hartery's suggestion, I got one of these and stuck one of Bob Golihur's endpin balls on it. Cut the rod in half and now I have a backup:

http://www.cstsales.com/metric_carbon_rods.html

Certainly not nearly as elegant as the wood turning, but it weighs very little, sounds good, and is inexpensive. Just another (low-budget) thought...

Last edited by Eric Swanson; 02-23-2008 at 05:41 PM.