Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 02-27-2010, 12:03 AM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road
Default Bridge Price

Does anyone know what the ballpark figure is to get a pro quality bridge made with aluminum adjusters? The only "quality" shop near me is charging $550.00 for a bridge with aluminum adjusters and that's before taxes...Seems high?
Old 02-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Posting Member

Jeremy Darrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Stark View Post
Does anyone know what the ballpark figure is to get a pro quality bridge made with aluminum adjusters? The only "quality" shop near me is charging $550.00 for a bridge with aluminum adjusters and that's before taxes...Seems high?
Depending on the market you're in, I don't think thats too far off the mark. Though, I haven't had to replace a bridge in a long time.

Last edited by Jeremy Darrow; 02-27-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Stark View Post
Why do you need or think you need a new Bridge? Unless it's broken, warped or 3/8" or more too low the old Bridge should still be usable. I have shimmed many bridges in the legs of the un-threadded part of the adjusters from 3/16" -1/4" height or so after re-cutting the top to re-space the notches to my liking. Just because you don't know how to do this yourself doesn't mean you need a new bridge. That is assuming we are at option #4 and not 1-3.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Posting Member

Adrian Juras is on a distinguished road

Calvin, if you tell them that you want a student model they won't charge you near that much for it. It is basically how long they spend on detail work. The foot fitting, and arch are just as good IMO.

Last edited by Adrian Juras; 02-27-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Juras View Post
Calvin, if you tell them(I assume Heinls) that you want a student model they won't charge you near that much for it. It is basically how long they spend on detail work. The foot fitting, and arch are just as good IMO.
Please no assuming. This could be a store, person in Toronto, Boston, anywhere. I don't want any person or store named.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb too high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne holmes View Post
IMO - it is high, unless there is a lot of work to do on the finger board, nut, or tailpiece/wire to allow the bridge to function correctly. Just the bridge with adjusters- it's too high. IME, the best bridge available with adjusters fitted shouldn't run over $450 regardless of the location in the U.S.
I think Location has a lot to do with price. It is tied to overhead and how much an hour costs in that shop. I heard that one major NYC shop is charging close to $700 for a bridge with adjusters. That to me is high. I think $550 is high too. Working in your Garage and working in a commercial space in a big city means prices will vary. Now, if the guy in the Garage makes the same product as in the City shop then it should cost less on the overhead side but not necessarily. Getting what you pay for is not always the case either. Some shops charge $50/hr and some $100/hr. The quality or grade of work is not always better in the more expensive shop. Also, the more expensive shop is not necessarily making more net profit either. They have a bigger rent and overhead to cover.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Junior Posting Member

Charles A Thomas is on a distinguished road
Talking bridge adjusters

Check to see if the bridge fits the top, if it does and it is not leaning forword, if so the bidge is fine, string spacing can be changed fairly easily, and putting adjusters on is not rocket surgery.