Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > DB Strings at Ken's Corner..

Old 10-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool humm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Sheridan View Post
I'd like to see them add that little fuzzy nubbins at the tailpiece end of the string that most string makers use. I do like that the tailpiece end has a holding piece that will fit through the hole of the tailpiece. (There must be names for these two things?)
I'd had Helicore's on my Carcassi model and first replaced the D and G with the Eurosonics. My first impression was that I didn't like them. I put the bass in the corner, came back a couple of days later and couldn't believe the volume difference between the two brands. So I changed out the E and A too.
When you are in the position of showing basses it's really a relief to have a string that will demonstrate both pizz and arco and not have to change the strings out. Until now I've used Helicor Orchestra strings because I think they're a better hybrid than the hybrid.
I'm still a big fan of the original Flexocor for arco and Spirocore Weichs for pizz. I tried a set of Bel Cantos recently and was really disappointed after hearing so much praise for them. Maybe it was the bass? The Bel Cantos came out just as I was moving to Mexico and I didn't get to try them out until late spring. Everyone has been raving about those strings, but at least on this bass the Eurosonics performed better especially on pizz, and they're about half the price.
best,
On the delay response with the Eurosonics I can only attribute that to the lessened tension on the Top. It took time for the Bass to respond to them. On the Basses I have here (the good ones..lol) I see immediate response in most cases when trying strings. On the Bel's, some basses they do wonders for and some not. Also, it depends on what you want to hear. On the same exact bass, one customer likes Orig Flex and I hated them but I loved the Stark 92s instead. Different ears and hands as well.

I think that for selling low to mid-priced basses, the Eurosonice are good strings to put on the bass to cover the bases. The Orch. Helicores to me are Hybrid strings as well but they are not very consistant from set to set in the gauges or the quality. I can't handle that so I avoid those strings for the most part.

Flexocor 92s is a favorite of mine as are the Evah's in both Orch and Weich gauges. I also like the Belcantos but this is the C-extension set. The regular E is different. The C-extension string feels great on one of my basses and a bit too stiff/heavy on another. On the bass that it feels heavy, the bass is even and works with the regular 92 E. The one where it feels ok is a bass that needs a Stark E 92. I mentioned to the Dist. that Tomastik needs to make this E/C a bit smaller in tension/diameter and call the current one Stark as it feels it and make a regular tension one for the basses that don't need the extra umph from a string. Too many people switch Es because of this. The E is the hardest string to get moving. Remember, many of these oldies we play never had the E/4th string in mind when they were made. Some do fine and some need a bit less tension. My Hart bass is fine with a balanced set while some others I have need help down below. Finding what works is always a hunt for me. The Eurosonice are a nice string to start with I think. They are right down the middle, as planned!
Old 05-21-2016, 03:13 PM
Junior Posting Member

John Cubbage is on a distinguished road
Default Contrabass Strings

Thank you for having this thread on double bass strings.

Recently I saw a video of a bass player who had strings on his bass that had green silk end wrapping with a purple thread spiraling over the green. Can you tell me what brand / model of string this was?

Thanks.

- Dr. C.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:17 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cubbage View Post

Recently I saw a video of a bass player who had strings on his bass that had green silk end wrapping with a purple thread spiraling over the green. Can you tell me what brand / model of string this was?

Thanks.

- Dr. C.
Not sure. A pic might help.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:05 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default Green with purple strings?

Quote:

Thanks.

- Dr. C.
Please use the address below and watch the video segment. The player shows a close-up of the strings, green silk wrapped with purple spiral, on the video.

https://youtu.be/MX4-oSVv31M?t=206

Thank you for your input.

- Dr. C.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:08 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool I think..

Quote:
Please use the address below and watch the video segment. The player shows a close-up of the strings, green silk wrapped with purple spiral, on the video.

https://youtu.be/MX4-oSVv31M?t=206

Thank you for your input.

- Dr. C.
Maybe the newish Evah Pirazzi strings from Pirastro.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:02 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Green and purple bass strings

Thank you.

If you go to the website for Shar Music you can click on the camera icon under the Winding" column and see the colors each string is wrapped in silk at the ends. The Pirastro Evah Pirazzi has no picture of their end wrapping, so you could be correct about which string those colors belong to.

http://www.sharmusic.com/shop.axd/St...=1464107951208

By the way, I am shocked at the string prices. Back in 1968-72 I could go to Shroeder's Music supply downtown Manhattan (S. Park Ave. or S. 5th Ave?) and buy Pirastro Flexocore bass orchestra strings for $23 to $25 dollars a set. Now they want ten times that price? Wow! I'd like to see modern manufacturing technology bring the prices down.

Thanks again for the string information.

- Dr. C.