Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 02-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Junior Posting Member

Mike Weems is on a distinguished road
Default Mystery Cello 1670?

I know this is a bass forum but I have this cello and since cellos are double bass's little brother I thought someone here may be able to help me ID it. this is the state this cello was in when I received it and I have been moving it from place to place for the last 20 years. decided to do something with it. I had a Hamm violin of similar construction 1830's. It dose have a date of 1670 written on the back in what looks like lead. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	140217_001.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	795.8 KB
ID:	2926  Click image for larger version

Name:	140217_002.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	844.0 KB
ID:	2927  Click image for larger version

Name:	140217_007.jpg
Views:	897
Size:	796.0 KB
ID:	2928  Click image for larger version

Name:	140217_010.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	605.8 KB
ID:	2929  Click image for larger version

Name:	140217_011.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	662.5 KB
ID:	2930  

Click image for larger version

Name:	140217_014.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	623.3 KB
ID:	2931  
Old 02-18-2014, 12:55 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 1670 or $16.70?.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weems View Post
I know this is a bass forum but I have this cello and since cellos are double bass's little brother I thought someone here may be able to help me ID it. this is the state this cello was in when I received it and I have been moving it from place to place for the last 20 years. decided to do something with it. I had a Hamm violin of similar construction 1830's. It dose have a date of 1670 written on the back in what looks like lead. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ok, the condition of the wood is way way newer than 1670. The scroll and neck look a bit like Yankee construction like Prescott. I think it was maybe refinished as the back looks new and even inside the back doesn't look that old. Maybe, just maybe it's from 1870 which is late for Prescott but it looks more like 20th century condition. Maybe $16.70 was the price back then but in no way was this made that far back.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:09 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default Thanks

I did not think it was that early but the construction is so odd I could not place it. Thanks again for the info. At least that's a starting point for me. Note about the construction originally the ribs fit into channel cut into the back. Also there is a repair label J Metheny 1921. I agree that might be a price or a twisted joke.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:32 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up construction..

Quote:
I did not think it was that early but the construction is so odd I could not place it. Thanks again for the info. At least that's a starting point for me. Note about the construction originally the ribs fit into channel cut into the back. Also there is a repair label J Metheny 1921. I agree that might be a price or a twisted joke.
Mike, that IS the construction of the early Yankee school. That is guitar style construction and was partially done in Europe as well in the early days. The Scroll and Pegbox is definitely Yankee and I attribute it to Prescott or one of his workers of followers.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Maybe Prescott Cello

Just looked over your Prescott bass Restore pics. The peg box walls on this cello originally hand inlayed tuner plates not friction pegs. The figured maple sides were fit later. thanks again as usual your help is invaluable.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Prescott

Quote:
Just looked over your Prescott bass Restore pics. The peg box walls on this cello originally hand inlayed tuner plates not friction pegs. The figured maple sides were fit later. thanks again as usual your help is invaluable.
Yes, Prescott Cellos were 4-strings and they were mostly but a few not Cellos but Church basses with gears on plates. The double basses were made with 3 strings and most of them have since been converted to 4-strings. A few basses have the old plates with 4-strings and might have been converted in Prescott's time as I don't know of any basses he made in 4-strings originally but they could have been made in 4s as well.