Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 01-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool How many?

More than I deserve.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Junior Posting Member

Nick Foster is on a distinguished road

I play through a Mesa 400Plus head, a Mesa 810 Powerhouse and various accessories. I get incredible warmth and deadly tone from this beast.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jack Jackson is on a distinguished road

Nice tone indeed, Chris. A great groove on "Standard Procedure"! And "Can't Hide Love"? Wow! I'm a blues-player, turned Christian, but I love Jazz music, especially the Rippingtons. Kim Stone is my favorite bassist.

I have a chance to buy a barely-used Black Tiger 4. Trying to work it out financially so I can stand up and be a Smith-owner. Jazz basses have always been in my price range. Currently, I play a 17 year-old Hamer Chapparel bass (mahogany body, bolt-on maple neck). It's time for a replacement. I'm trying to decide between a Victor Bailey Jazz ($2,000) or this guy's Tiger ($3,700). Then I can refinish my Hamer and give it to my son, if he makes it home from Iraq.

Anyway, I'm hoping to become a Smith-man soon. Take care and God bless...

Jack from Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Rhodes View Post
Al, that is "THE" bass! Just sitting on the stand - many people look and go --- "oohhhh".

The MD-7 is a heavy bass also. Luckily I can strap her on and play a few tunes - easily. Big Shoulders!

You can hear the tone of this bass well in the below video link.

Here is a youtube.com video link:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RgYJbwvmkms
Old 04-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jack Jackson is on a distinguished road

Oh by the way, I play through a Carvin RL600 head with two 2-10 cabs. The cabs are so lightweight, when I first lifted them, I thought they must have left out the speakers! It fills most clubs nicely with a warm tone and nice punch. It has a direct XLR out for larger venues or the great outdoors. I will eventually replace it with an Eden rig. But first things first. I've got to get Smith!!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Junior Posting Member

ramon ramos is on a distinguished road
Talking praise and worship with a smith, the only way to gooo!

praise him jack, my name is ramon here in southern calif. and i'm also a church bassist. i just wanted to highly encourage you to get your hand's on that smith black tiger bass! if you haven't already done so, it's your blessing for the taking. you will never regret it if you get. i own a basic bsr6mw and the tone is well everything you would expect from a world class bass like smith. man at $3700 it's a great deal considering the condition of the bass with no modification's. i'm happy for you jack, i hope you do buy the smith. the neck's on smith's are the most thinnest in the buisness! so comfortable. i liked that you posted your bass rig by carvin rl600 it's got some serious punch,no lite weight. i'm also using carvin i have their bx1200 mono block it put's out 1200watts! of clean signal i'm running a carvin two 10's with a 100watt horn cab and the best part is the low end is on channel 2 with a carvin 18''cab. i'll probably never reach 1200watts but you never know.you mentioned that you want to get eden cab's? you know iv'e noticed alot of smith owner's prefer the eden line i wonder if it's the construction or the electronic's or a combination of both i'll have to check out the eden line. well jack go get that tiger and be blessed.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:11 PM
Junior Posting Member

Keith Copeland is on a distinguished road

My rig consists of an EA Micro 300 amp (2 lbs) and either Schroeder Mini 10+ L (17 lbs) or an EA Wizzy 10 (17 lbs) all connected to Furman PL-Plus Series II power conditioner. Our church's Music Ministry include a 30 member (and growing) gospel choir, drums, electric guitar, percussion and electric bass (yours truly) with a Leslie organ added to the mix. Even with no PA support, my bass cuts through the mix like a blow torch!!! People cannot believe the soundstage that my tiny setup projects-myself included! My current bass is a Peavey Cirrus 5 Bubinga/Walnut (considered by many to be a poor man's Smith. But as nice as it is-IT IS NOT A SMITH!). As soon as I am blessed with the resources, I will add a BSR5GN to my weapons of praise.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste!
Old 04-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Talking Tim's Going to Kill Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Smith View Post
Normally I have my cabs stacked on top of one another, but I decided to lower the cabs today to place my Eden covers on them and I really loved the way the cabs sounded closer to the floor. So I think I'll run them this way for now on.

Tim is going to kill me but I have traded my Eden WT 550 for an Aguilar DB 750 Bass Head. Herer are the specs:

The DB 750 bass head is a ground-breaking hybrid amplifier with a discrete MOSFET output section and an all-tube preamp. A perfect
combination of raw power and enormous headroom, the DB 750 sets the precedent for all hybrid heads. This head develops 750 watts of high fidelity tone in 4 ohms, 975 watts into 2 ohms.
Specs
Accepts 2, 4, and 8 ohm loads
Tuner Out with Mute
Self-Diagnostic Protection Circuit and Thermal Overload Protection Circuit (both with LED Indicators)
Short Circuit Protection
Power Output: 750 watts @ 4 ohms, 975 watts @ 2 ohms.
Preamp Section: Three 12AX7s and one 12AU7
Power Section: 12 complimentary lateral MOSFETs
Transformers: Custom Aguilar toroidal power transformer.
EQ Section: Tube-driven shelving type treble (+/ - 12dB @4kHz), mid (+/ - 12dB @ 400Hz), and bass (+/ - 12dB @ 40Hz) controls.
Deep Switch: Adds 3db of broad-band boost at 30 Hz.
Bright Switch: A passive RC pre-emphasis circuit at 5-7 kHz.
Effects Loop: Send pot is push/pull for line or instrument level; return pot is push/pull for parallel or series operation.
Inputs: One 1/4" input jack with an active/passive switch. One 1/4" power amp input.
Outputs: Two Neutrik Speakon speaker outputs, one Jenson XLR balanced output (-32dB pre- and post-EQ) with a ground lift switch, and one 1/4" jack preamp output.
Cooling: High quality whisper fan
Power Requirement: 100, 120, 230 VAC 50 - 60 Hz
Dimensions: 19" W x 14" D x 5.25" H
Rack Size: Three Spaces
Weight: 43 lbs
Warranty: Ten year limited

Sorry Tim, Al
Old 04-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Senior Posting Member

Old 04-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default weapon of praise!. right on

hi keith, this is ramon i just want to continue this thread by saying that wow! 30+ choir group! that's great and those leslie speaker's must be awsome. but when you show up with your new smith bsr5gn! your fellow band mate's better look out. that unique smith sound is gonna bring down the house. as a fellow smith owner i can first hand tell you that your church worship will never be the same!. i'm a fellow church bassist here in so. calif. refuge temple. it took me probably close to 7 year's to get my hand's on a smith bass and the sound a smith put's out is definately in a class of it's own. i hope that your wait will be a short one and that you let us know about your new smith bass
Old 04-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default nice!!! aquilar is top notch

that's a low down winner! congrat's
Old 04-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Default Kill you???

Kill you??? There's all kinds of flavors out there. We all just have decide what works best for us.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Kill you??? There's all kinds of flavors out there. We all just have decide what works best for us.
I know how you feel about the Eden heads, anyway I loved my WT 550 but I'm moving in a different direction head wise anyway. My cabinets will remain Eden.

Al
Old 04-14-2008, 03:10 AM
Junior Posting Member

Keith Copeland is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramon ramos View Post
hi keith, this is ramon i just want to continue this thread by saying that wow! 30+ choir group! that's great and those leslie speaker's must be awsome. but when you show up with your new smith bsr5gn! your fellow band mate's better look out. that unique smith sound is gonna bring down the house. as a fellow smith owner i can first hand tell you that your church worship will never be the same!. i'm a fellow church bassist here in so. calif. refuge temple. it took me probably close to 7 year's to get my hand's on a smith bass and the sound a smith put's out is definately in a class of it's own. i hope that your wait will be a short one and that you let us know about your new smith bass
Thanks, Ramon!!!! I am looking forward to getting a Smith and will definitely share my experience!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Junior Posting Member

Smile top of the line smith!

hello keith, just want to add that i hope you get the best smith possible you can get.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Junior Posting Member

Michael Harrison Jr. is on a distinguished road

Much like an earlier poster, I barely rely on much amp use anymore and also have grown very use to in ear monitoring. I do a lot of musical theater work, and most of the time due to mics on the piano, strings, horns, etc, it became much easier to just run a GK 250 head as a DI, post EQ, and no amp. Even for more traditional gigs, I'm quite happy running off the house system and having the mix in my ears tailored to the way I want it. For anything without a house system, I have a GK 210 cab that I use for DB and electric. It gets the job done.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Junior Posting Member

Franklindayala is on a distinguished road

I have the SWR bass 350 head with Goliath III (4x10) cab. But recently bought the Aguilar DB750 bass head.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Taking It Back

When I first joined KSBF my rig was exclusively Ampeg, I then migrated to Eden and you've all seen my posts, I even tried the Aguilar rigs and all of them are great. But I got to tell you for me the rig that most predominately delivered the sound I want is Ampeg. I currently own the 610 SVT classic with a B2RE head ran passively through a Fender 1200 watt power amp and it is phenomenal.
Tim I thank you for all the info and direction you've given me and countless others, you are the man.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

What suits one man's fancy doesn't necessarily do it for another.. Use what sounds good to you.

I almost wound up with an ampeg SVT4PRO and 810 classic cab because peavey was being slow about delivering my firebass 700 and 810tvx cabs.. in the end it all worked out though.. I love Peavey gear..

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 07-13-2008, 02:24 AM
Junior Posting Member

RichardManning is on a distinguished road
Default ADA all the way

After spending loads of time and a small fortune (at least to me) back in the '80s and early '90s, I finally built my perfect bass rig. It just so happened that the manufacturer gave it a marketing name, ADA called it the "Modern Bass Quartet" and if you were reading Bass Player magazine back then, you probably saw the rig on the outside back cover more than a few times

I bought this rig new in '93-'94 (as I could buy new components and sell my old stuff, piece by piece).

My rig consists of:

1 - ADA MB-1 Bass Pre-amp
1 - ADA B500B bi-amp amp
1 - ADA Bassline HX (2 x 10 + 1 switchable 5")
1 - ADA Bassline 15 ( 1 x 15)
1 - ART MIDI controller (a leftover from previous gear that still worked for the ADA)

I also have a Furman power conditioner, wrapped in an SKB ATA 4U case with the MB-1 and B500B.

All the components are perfectly matched to get a wide range of tones of various vintage amps and basses and combinations, with 128 programs for storage, accessed at 1 or more clicks of a MIDI footswitch.

Other than a bit of Trace Elliot kit (wish I could have bought that new TE MP11 and matching footswitch that was all shiny new at my local bass gear place so long ago! only piece of gear I regret not being able to get $$$. If anyone has either or both of these and willing to part with it, let me know

Regards,
Richard
Old 08-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Junior Posting Member

Tim Brosnan is on a distinguished road

Fender Bassman 250/210 combo for me. Light, loud enough for what I need, and great tone.