Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > New Forum Member Introductions

Old 09-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Junior Posting Member

John Leach is on a distinguished road
Default Here to Learn

I am a 62 yrs old bass guitarist, who is covering classical music double bass in a local community orchestra. I used four and five string bass guitars for the first 3 years, then began attempting to learn arco on a NSD WAV 4. With a lot of tweaking on an outboard pre-amp, it sounds somewhat better than a double bass of the same price range. Storage space is limited in my small home, and the smaller footprint of the EUB is handy also.
As I get older, I will shed some of the electric bass gear, and have room for a decent double. That is if I can gain the skill necessary to do it justice.
It seems a little strange to me, but there is no conflict between the two instruments, the string length, size and shape of the neck is different enough that they are two entirely different instruments to me.
I realize that at my age and talent level, I will never attain the level of competency of most of the members here, I hope to learn by "osmosis" just by being here.
I want to point out that I am not trying to revolutionize classical music with electronics, just trying to get by until I can do better. I'll try not to embarrass the forum, I'll stay quiet, and try not to ask too many dumb questions.

Thanks,

John
Old 09-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Senior Posting Member

Oren Hudson is on a distinguished road

Welcome John,

Nice to have someone older than I am (58 in December) on board. Double bass is cool, but I can put, but unfortunately, what I know about on my little toe nail. I had several relatives that played double bass, but I came along right at The Beatles and had to have electric bass. Plus, My family lived in an apartment at the time. A very small apartment, and drove a Volkswagen Beetle. Room was a big problem.

I seriously doubt that you can embarrass the forum. Not with Richard and me around. We can handle that with our childish behaviour and remarks quite well. Want to be subjected to that, then just look at the Bull Pit section. Glad to have you. Before I go, just gotta ask if you've ever had grits?
Old 09-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Wink lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Hudson View Post
Welcome John,

Nice to have someone older than I am (58 in December) on board. Double bass is cool, but I can put, but unfortunately, what I know about on my little toe nail. I had several relatives that played double bass, but I came along right at The Beatles and had to have electric bass. Plus, My family lived in an apartment at the time. A very small apartment, and drove a Volkswagen Beetle. Room was a big problem.

I seriously doubt that you can embarrass the forum. Not with Richard and me around. We can handle that with our childish behaviour and remarks quite well. Want to be subjected to that, then just look at the Bull Pit section. Glad to have you. Before I go, just gotta ask if you've ever had grits?
I have been thinking lately or re-naming 'The BULL PIT' to be called 'THE PLAY PEN'. It's so much closer to a neighborhood sandbox than it is a main street sports bar.. you think?
Old 09-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Welcome John, from another old guy. I think it's great that you're out there working on your playing. 62 doesn't sound old, you've got plenty of good years to get that bowing down. Doing what you're doing will keep you young. You should look around at Chinese basses, when you're ready to get a double bass - I have one that is fantastic. Hey, don't be afraid to get involved and ask questions - there are plenty of people here who will give you excellent advice, and no one is into judging. You'll learn a lot. Ken is really nice and has a huge knowledge base - as well as a quirky sense of humour. Oren has a heart of gold and a great ability to cheer people up. I've personally made many friends on this forum. You'll get to know them all. Nice to meet you.

Hey Ken, I'm pleased that you're going with the sandbox idea because I hate sports bars.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Junior Posting Member

John Leach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Hudson View Post
Welcome John,

Before I go, just gotta ask if you've ever had grits?
Actually I was born in Burlington, NC, and I loves me some country cured ham, eggs,grits,homemade biscuits, and red-eye gravy, the cardiologist's nightmare,

And I do have a sense of humor, just kind of quiet.

Thanks,

John
Old 09-08-2009, 12:23 AM
Senior Posting Member

Oren Hudson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Leach View Post
Actually I was born in Burlington, NC, and I loves me some country cured ham, eggs,grits,homemade biscuits, and red-eye gravy, the cardiologist's nightmare,

And I do have a sense of humor, just kind of quiet.

Thanks,

John
WOW! Burlington is just up I-85 from me and you are talking a serious meal. I think that we'll get along real good. Don't be afraid to let your humor "bust loose" from time to time. Just don't preface anything by "Hey ya'll, watch this."

So how did you ever leave The South? Maybe you whistle Dixie most of the day to get by.