Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb BSR 'J'-Series Announcement

After careful consideration, the 'J'-Series models have been Discontinued.

I will be glad to answer any and all questions about this model or its history.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Junior Posting Member

Amit Shtriker is on a distinguished road

Ken,

I saw this and just thought it would be just appropriate to say some words on the J line:

After a little more than 10 years with by BSR4J-MW, I can definitely say that this bass has made me the bass player I am today.

I don't know about the other J models, but this bass is so versatile that it is sometimes hard to believe.

I have managed (and still do) to get sounds ranging from 70's style classic Rock, Folk, Funk, Motown to 90's style alternative Rock, Nu Metal, progressive Rock, Pop, R&B Reggae and Dub, all using only the pickup blend knob and style appropriate finger/thumb/pick techniques, just rarely using the onboard EQ to fatten up bridge pickup sounds.

Some guys that I have played with or heard recordings I have made with the bass couldn't believe that these sounds came out of a modern bass "that was made for playing jazz fusion bass solos".

Most of the times FOH engineers use my direct sound with very little console EQ if any.

I have had thoughts upgrading it to a better KS neck-thru model, or adding a "classic" electric bass to it but by the time I saved the money, I realized that I am going to stick with it and nothing is missing.

Coupled with my custom made overdrive, I can also get dirty/ugly/bad sounds with it - this is how versatile it is.

It is also build like a rock! After 10 years of Rocknroll style stage abuse - it still feels and plays so well!

So thank you Ken for making such a deeply emotional, versatile, musical and inspiring instrument, even if it was supposed to be an "entry level" one. This is the bass of my life, and will always stay my main one, if not the only one (as of now). Proud to be an owner of such a great instrument.

Hope I am not the only one that feels that way...
Old 02-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit Shtriker View Post
Ken,

I saw this and just thought it would be just appropriate to say some words on the J line:

After a little more than 10 years with by BSR4J-MW, I can definitely say that this bass has made me the bass player I am today.

I don't know about the other J models, but this bass is so versatile that it is sometimes hard to believe.

I have managed (and still do) to get sounds ranging from 70's style classic Rock, Folk, Funk, Motown to 90's style alternative Rock, Nu Metal, progressive Rock, Pop, R&B Reggae and Dub, all using only the pickup blend knob and style appropriate finger/thumb/pick techniques, just rarely using the onboard EQ to fatten up bridge pickup sounds.

Some guys that I have played with or heard recordings I have made with the bass couldn't believe that these sounds came out of a modern bass "that was made for playing jazz fusion bass solos".

Most of the times FOH engineers use my direct sound with very little console EQ if any.

I have had thoughts upgrading it to a better KS neck-thru model, or adding a "classic" electric bass to it but by the time I saved the money, I realized that I am going to stick with it and nothing is missing.

Coupled with my custom made overdrive, I can also get dirty/ugly/bad sounds with it - this is how versatile it is.

It is also build like a rock! After 10 years of Rocknroll style stage abuse - it still feels and plays so well!

So thank you Ken for making such a deeply emotional, versatile, musical and inspiring instrument, even if it was supposed to be an "entry level" one. This is the bass of my life, and will always stay my main one, if not the only one (as of now). Proud to be an owner of such a great instrument.

Hope I am not the only one that feels that way...

I know what you mean there. I am happy to hear of your success with the J-MW model which is an upgraded J with just the walnut top on the wings and gold hardware.

The M model is the exact same bass with with pickups that pull out even more sounds that are in the woods. Since most people want a traditional looking bass when going for a J style instrument, the demand for this at lease here has been minimal. Actually, we have gotten several requests over the years to upgrade their J model with the M model pickups. I would have to conclude that in this case, making the M over the J is just 'buyers choice'.

Aside from J or M model bolt-ons, over 90% of our orders are for neck-thru models. So once again, buyers choice dictates what we will make going forward as it has been in the past for the most part.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Junior Posting Member

Nick Foster is on a distinguished road

I know this kind of old news in the Smith world but I will say that I'm still a little sad that the J series has gone the way of the Dodo. I bought my first Smith (I think) back in 2001 and was just a standard five string J and it was everything I hoped it would be. It served me well on many tours in many cities all over Canada and it still sits proudly along side my BSR6EG, which is now my main bass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smith basses1.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	2743  
Old 06-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Foster View Post
....It served me well on many tours in many cities ....
I know I've never owned a Smith that didn't serve me well.