Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road
Default NZ Bass Camp.

We're having a double bass camp in Martinborough (Wairarapa). starting on Jan 29th and running until Jan 31st. Classical bassists Hiroshi Ikematsu, Vicki Jones and jazz player Nick Tipping are advertised as being 'on the staff'.
Hiroshi is principal bassist with the NZSO and is described as one of the finest Japanese bassists of his generation. I've heard him play solo and I can tell you he's a great player - he studied with Gary Karr.
Martinborough is a lovely little rural town set in between numerous vinyards and is only about an hour from Wellington. Obviously yours truly will be going and hoping to get some bowing help from Hiroshi. Full registration is only $NZ230, which covers meals and accomodation - that'd be about $US150!
I think the camp is being held on a Marae, so the sleeping arrangements might be communal (lots of beds in one big room), but I'll try to find out more.
They sent me a registration form so, if anyone is keen to go, PM me your email and I'll send all the info on to you. I only found out about this camp by chance - they've had a couple before that I didn't know about - so I'm very excited about it. If you play double bass and live in NZ, or nearby, you must go! We don't get many opportunities like this Down here (NZ).