Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 02-09-2015, 08:06 AM
Junior Posting Member

Chas Krijnen is on a distinguished road
Default What's going on with the electronics/pickups?

Dear Ken Smither's,

In 2012 I bought a new Ken Smith Quilted Maple 5EG. It's beautiful looking and sounding bass. But a little time ago I have some trouble with it.
I have setup the bass and pickups myself when I first got it. I screwed (up and down) the soapbar poles one time, but found it had no huge sound improvement, so I screwed it (factory default) all back to flat in the pickup.

First of all, I'm very respectful and gentle with all of my instruments, so this problem came all at once. The problem occurred all the sudden. Since a short time it happens often when the bass isn't plugged in for a while. And only occurs on the front pickup when I toggle the series/paralel switch. I did change the batteries, but found no cure. There are also no lose wires or joints in the electronics cavity.

I found a work-around the problem... when I slap against the front pickup, it will work again... You may know that it isn't the cure, so please help!

I made a little clip of it with my phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMT_...w&spfreload=10

again, please help!

Last edited by Chas Krijnen; 02-09-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:26 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Oh my,,

You should be asking US directly, not bass players but the makers of your bass. Makes sense? Email me at support@kensmithbasses.com and start from the beginning.

You have either a loose wire on your pickup, a broken connection Inside your pickup coils (not repairable) or a bad switch. That's my guess from the description. I would need the bass in hand to fix it.

In the future when you buy a new Smith bass, Don't touch the settings unless you know what you are looking for and how to do it without damage.

Look under the pickups and re-solder the wires and start there. Maybe you will get lucky.

Also, putting this on Youtube for the world to see your complaint doesn't score any points with us. You did not say on YouTube how you first messed with a bass and then it was broken.