Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Music [BG] > Jazz and R&B Corner

Old 01-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jake Newcomb is on a distinguished road
Question Favorite James Jamerson

I was in a department store earlier and they started playing some early Stevie Wonder with Jamerson on bass. I went and stood under the speaker and listened to it. That's been a common thing for me lately to be jamming out next to a speaker in stores when they play good music. They were playing the Giant Steps album at a used CD store the other day and I was too in to it to notice if anybody was looking at me funny.
Anyway, I'm wondering what are your favorite songs with Jamerson on the bass? One of my favorites is the whole Stevie Wonder album My Cherie Amour. He's bangin' on that.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:14 AM
Posting Member

Steve_M is on a distinguished road

My fave is

Supremes - Keep Me Hangin' On.

Simply because the bassline takes so many unexpected dips and swerves away from the trad root note progressions and from the standard rythmn pattern. Its a complete tour-de-force of the things I like so much about Jamerson. The creativity in those 2m 38secs is astounding.

What I like most about Jamerson was that he used his musical knowledge to make his life easier - why stretch all the way to a root note when there was a already perfectly good third sitting a fret up?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road

James Jamerson was a 1-fingered playing stud! Favorites? I don't have enough strength in my fingers to type it all out! All of the early Motown stuff he played on is priceless. Oh my, what an extensive list of credits! With Jamerson, the Funk Brothers were undoubtedly the most underrated group of in-the-pocket-players on the planet!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 03-05-2007 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Revised.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road
Red face James Is The Man!

I've been mesmerized by Mr. Jamerson since I was 10 years old.

In 1968, at the age of 10, I heard "Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing" with Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell, and it was my first memory of REALLY being aware of the beauty of a bass line.

Years later, after I began to play bass and to fully appreciate the folks who did it well, I started to listen to Mr. Jamerson more carefully. "I Was Made To Love Her" by Stevie Wonder is a magical playground for James! I don't believe he plays anything the same way twice in that tune, except for the hook. It's hypnotic!

Listen to "Ain't That Peculiar" by Marvin Gaye or "Going To A Go Go" by Smokey & The Miracles. The genius of Mr. Jamerson is undeniable!

Of course, "Bernadette" by the Four Tops is classic, and my emotional bass-playing favorite is "What's Going On?" by Marvin Gaye.

There will never be another James Jamerson.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Senior Posting Member

Ronson, couldn't have said it better if I tried.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
I've been mesmerized by Mr. Jamerson since I was 10 years old.

In 1968, at the age of 10, I heard "Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing" with Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell, and it was my first memory of REALLY being aware of the beauty of a bass line.

Years later, after I began to play bass and to fully appreciate the folks who did it well, I started to listen to Mr. Jamerson more carefully. "I Was Made To Love Her" by Stevie Wonder is a magical playground for James! I don't believe he plays anything the same way twice in that tune, except for the hook. It's hypnotic!

Listen to "Ain't That Peculiar" by Marvin Gaye or "Going To A Go Go" by Smokey & The Miracles. The genius of Mr. Jamerson is undeniable!

Of course, "Bernadette" by the Four Tops is classic, and my emotional bass-playing favorite is "What's Going On?" by Marvin Gaye.

There will never be another James Jamerson.
For all those that seek to listen to the the magic of James Jamerson, you can pick up the DVD or the CD at you local Wally World (better known as Wal-Mart)
Old 03-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road
Post James Jamerson Afficionado?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Smith View Post
For all those that seek to listen to the the magic of James Jamerson, you can pick up the DVD or the CD at you local Wally World (better known as Wal-Mart)

If you are one of those bass guitar lovers who can't seem to get enough of the "Bass Masters" like Mr. Jamerson, I recommend a music book called "Standing In The Shadows of Motown: The Life and Music of Legendary Bassist James Jamerson (Hal Leonard Publishing)." It was compiled by a gentleman out of Philly names "Dr. Licks." I ran to the local sheet music store (Southern Music here in the Alamo City) and bought it years ago when it first flew off the presses!

The book features recorded comments and performances (I got two one-hour cassetes in my book, they later were produced with CDs) by James Jamerson Jr., Paul McCartney, Anthony Jackson, Jimmy Haslip, Pino Palladino, Bob Babbitt, Marcus Miller, Gerald Veasley, Chuck Rainey (one of the most famous Ken Smith users there is), Willie Weeks (when I was a teenager, Willie's bass solo on Donny Hathaway's live album made me swoon), "Ready" Freddie Washington (another big time Ken Smith guy), and a whole lot more.

The book tells the riveting story of Mr. Jamerson & The Funk Brothers, and goes into detail about their recording sessions in Detroit. It even has original chart music in it!

If you love James Jamerson, you've got to add this book to your collection!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Junior Posting Member

Tim Brosnan is on a distinguished road

I was made to love her, Beat me to the punch, Going to a go go, and The Happening. The Happening has such a swinging bass line! I was hooked the moment I heard it.

I consider James Jamerson to be the Godfather of electric bass.

Oh, almost forgot-his upright line on My Guy!

Last edited by Tim Brosnan; 02-03-2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Brosnan View Post
I was made to love her, Beat me to the punch, Going to a go go, and The Happening. The Happening has such a swinging bass line! I was hooked the moment I heard it.

I consider James Jamerson to be the Godfather of electric bass.

Oh, almost forgot-his upright line on My Guy!
+1 to this reply.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:59 AM
Posting Member

frederic vidal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
If you are one of those bass guitar lovers who can't seem to get enough of the "Bass Masters" like Mr. Jamerson, I recommend a music book called "Standing In The Shadows of Motown: The Life and Music of Legendary Bassist James Jamerson (Hal Leonard Publishing)." It was compiled by a gentleman out of Philly names "Dr. Licks." I ran to the local sheet music store (Southern Music here in the Alamo City) and bought it years ago when it first flew off the presses!

The book features recorded comments and performances (I got two one-hour cassetes in my book, they later were produced with CDs) by James Jamerson Jr., Paul McCartney, Anthony Jackson, Jimmy Haslip, Pino Palladino, Bob Babbitt, Marcus Miller, Gerald Veasley, Chuck Rainey (one of the most famous Ken Smith users there is), Willie Weeks (when I was a teenager, Willie's bass solo on Donny Hathaway's live album made me swoon), "Ready" Freddie Washington (another big time Ken Smith guy), and a whole lot more.

The book tells the riveting story of Mr. Jamerson & The Funk Brothers, and goes into detail about their recording sessions in Detroit. It even has original chart music in it!

If you love James Jamerson, you've got to add this book to your collection!
+ 1 !

hours and hours of good work with a genius bass line and good players.

I worked on it i remember... souvenir souvenir
Old 02-05-2010, 05:51 AM
Senior Posting Member

Lightbulb DVD also....

There's also a DVD (2 disk) that was produced titled "Standing In The Shadows of Motown" back around 2002. I Highly, HIGHLY, HIGHLY (did I say HIGHLY) recommend searching and finding it. You won't be disappointed. Many of the orginal Funk Brothers are part of this story and it's simply fantastic. I came across this DVD at Blockbuster a few years ago and I am so glad I did: It was the only copy they had and it was in-and-among other DVD's in a box they had a "Sale" on.

One of my MANY favorite parts of this DVD is towards the end where Joan Osborne is on stage with the Funk Brothers doing a remake of "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted" - Wow!

Just find it and get it! You'll be thanking me later.