Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > German/Czech Shop Basses

Old 12-11-2009, 02:08 AM
Posting Member

Tomas Bouda is on a distinguished road
Default Paesold - what's the deal?

i have a paesold bass that i bought as my first instrument before entering university. i have never met another player who has one, and i can't find much information about them (in terms of reliability, sound etc) anywhere on the internet. i'm basically wondering...what's their deal? has anyone else played/owned one of these instruments?

thanks a lot everyone!

http://www.reverbnation.com/tomassbouda
Old 12-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

A bass instructor around here sells them to students in the area. The couple I've seen/heard seem fine although I haven't really taken a close look or played one. I know he had a big problem a few years ago with a number of them he sold to the local high school, cracking in the winter, I think the school expected him to repair them gratis, but I figure that was due to low school humidity and not the basic quality of the basses, although who knows?

EDIT- Now that I think of it, one of my former students got a "master" grade Paesold which he brought in for a few lessons. Beautiful wood and sounded nice, too. Pricey, I think his parents paid over 15k for it.

Last edited by Eric Hochberg; 12-11-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:51 AM
Posting Member

alright, thanks for the info. mine's great! anyone else got something to add/offer?

thanks again!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Bouda View Post
alright, thanks for the info. mine's great! anyone else got something to add/offer?

thanks again!
Did you try Google?
http://www.paesold.com/

That head on the home page is beautiful. I hope the basses sound as good as that head looks. The ones I have seen were typical German factory type Basses. Stanley Clarke has one as an Endorsement that he takes on the road sometimes. Makers like Wilfer and other brands similar or associated with that family of shops are along the same line.

Read their history on their webpage. "In 1981, the Paesold company was integrated into the Boosey & Hawkes group."

I have read on one dealers website that they are made in the Hofner factory. I am in contact with them as I am posting here as I am interested to find out as well. They seem to be a quality company from what I can see.

Last edited by Ken Smith; 12-14-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: new info found..
Old 12-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ok..

I emailed back and forth and received some very good and helpful information which I will be glad to share here and now to settle any confusion about this company or other similar brands..

"Hofner and Paesold are two independent companies but they had been under one roof in the time (1994 – 2004) where both companies were under the umbrella of Boosey&Hawkes or later The Music Group.. To a certain extent the range of products is different and marketing is completely different. Of course both companies use the same or similar suppliers and in some markets the distribution is done by the same company, e.g. in Europe Hofner is the distributor for the Paesold range as well.

The back design (we call that purfling work “Blume” – flower ) is traditional Frankonian (Northern Bavarian) and is not only used by makers in this region, but pretty much 100% of the basses coming from Bubenreuth and vicinity have a Blume. Our German made basses are 100% made in Germany and the Chinese line is labeled Andrew Schroetter in order to make things very clear"

I must say it was very nice of them to share this information. This coming directly from Mr. Friedemann Pods, Sales & Marketing of Paesold.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:25 AM
Posting Member

thanks for the info ken - the part about the purfling design was an added bonus. thanks again.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Stephen Candib

Hofner makes Hofner and Paesold at its facility in Hagenau, Germany.
Hofner went back to private family ownership in 2004.
Since then, Hofner has been distributed in the USA by CMI, out of the Chicago area.
From then until recently, Paesold was distributed in the USA by Eastman.
Paesold is now distributed in the USA by CMI.