Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 08-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Junior Posting Member

Ben Rose is on a distinguished road
Default Playing your Smith in a more vertical position

Does anyone here play their Smith in a more vertical hanging position (between 1:00 and 2:00), or when sitting place the bass between both legs instead of sitting on the right leg?
Like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVjupa9tVYk
Or this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZVoj0Q1iVk

If so, have any pics?

I'm just trying to get a sense of where the upper horn would be in this position (especially on the BSR or Fusion style bodies). It works on some other instruments I have that have the strap button nearer the neck and the 10th fret, but of course, they don't sound like a Smith.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Wink Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Rose View Post
....I'm just trying to get a sense of where the upper horn would be in this position (especially on the BSR or Fusion style bodies). It works on some other instruments I have that have the strap button nearer the neck and the 10th fret, but of course, they don't sound like a Smith.
Hey Ben, the upper horn on the BSR extends further than the BT body cut. Whether it's the Fusion cut or not is irrelevent. The BSR is VERY well balanced on a strap. In fact, you have good flexibility in selecting how you want the bass to hang regardless of body cut (i.e. fusion or otherwise). The upper horn cut has more to say about balance on a strap.

The BT cut on the other hand has a shorter upper horn and as a result you will feel more neck dive (i.e. on a strap, the neck may rest closer to 3 o'clock). However, you can deal with this by simply positioning your arm accordingly over the upper body wing in order to help balance to your desired playing position.

As far as sitting, while the BT body cut would be the better choice for a bass player that likes to sit and play, I could sit and be thoroughly happy with the BSR or BT body cut. I actually have no problem with either the BSR or BT body cut as far as balance or feel, whether on a strap or not. They are both excellent cuts and to the player it's a matter of what feels best to them.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Junior Posting Member

Hi Tim,

I play that way more for wrist angles than balance. (Also, I rarely slap). What I'm wondering is if the placement of the upper horn on the bsr will make it so the strap has to wrap around my neck if I play it in this position, or alternatively, how far it will shift the instrument to the left (from the players point of view).

This question can probably only be answered by picking one up and trying it, but I thought I would ask it anyway in case someone else on this forum plays like that. One more reason to visit the shop or a local dealer.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Well....

Quote:
Hi Tim,

I play that way more for wrist angles than balance. (Also, I rarely slap). What I'm wondering is if the placement of the upper horn on the bsr will make it so the strap has to wrap around my neck if I play it in this position, or alternatively, how far it will shift the instrument to the left (from the players point of view).

This question can probably only be answered by picking one up and trying it, but I thought I would ask it anyway in case someone else on this forum plays like that. One more reason to visit the shop or a local dealer.
Well, it's difficult to determine what "position" your playing preference is, however, I think you're right. It would be best if you were able to test-drive your particular scenario. I cannot recall ever having any issue with a strap cutting into my neck when I play (BT or BSR).

I did just try to replicate what I think you are saying. With the neck in an extreme vertical position (not quite 12:00 but close), the strap does come into contact with my neck. I like to play my bass fairly high up (about mid-chest high), so, that may be something to consider as well, as we all don't have the same body-shapes. Maybe it will just come down to what strap works best for you?

Old 08-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Senior Posting Member

Question Shift to left?

Quote:
Hi Tim,

....or alternatively, how far it will shift the instrument to the left (from the players point of view)....
Not certain what you mean by this but I will tell you the BSR is very well balanced and centered on a strap.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Senior Posting Member

Talking Have you....

Have you considered an upright?

Old 08-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Junior Posting Member

Actually, I'm considering selling my upright to get a Smith

Thanks for trying it out. I think with the right strap I'll be able to make it work, but the proof is in the pudding.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Posting Member

Anton Hasias is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Actually, I'm considering selling my upright to get a Smith

Thanks for trying it out. I think with the right strap I'll be able to make it work, but the proof is in the pudding.
Hi Ben,
Just for my understanding; I suppose you are not playing the upright like an electric bass guitar, so why playing the electric bass in the way upright plays (vertical)?
I would play both but each in its way.
Best regards
Old 08-31-2010, 10:25 AM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Hasias View Post
Hi Ben,
Just for my understanding; I suppose you are not playing the upright like an electric bass guitar, so why playing the electric bass in the way upright plays (vertical)?
I would play both but each in its way.
Best regards
It's not about trying to play like an upright at all; it is entirely about ergonomics. Keep in mind, we're not talking about vertical (12:00), just more vertical than usual (1:00-2:00). Nothing radical. This position allows my shoulders to remain level and arms and wrists relaxed. Every playing position has compromises, this position just has the fewest compromises for me, or at least the ones I am willing to make.

I would play it in a more horizontal position if any of the following were true:
- most of the time I played with a pick
- most of the time I plucked with my thumb or slapped
- most of the time I plucked near the neck
- the scale length was a few inches shorter
- I was taller and/or had a longer left arm and a shorter right arm