Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 05-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Junior Posting Member

Brian Holtz is on a distinguished road
Default Rosewood BSR

Hi,

I'm considering buying one of a few different Smith basses I've found on the market. One of which is a 5 string BSR Elite with rosewood top/walnut back. It appears to be made in 2002.

I'm just wondering if anyone (Ken?) knows anyghing about this specific wood combo? Not that it really matters, but on this bass I will be playing a lot of gospel and a good deal of jazz. I kind of want that classical gospel Smith tone. I have a few traditional Fender type basses...so thats not really what I'm after with this bass.

It looks like a great bass, as do most of the other I've seen.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Rosewood Top?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Holtz View Post
Hi,

I'm considering buying one of a few different Smith basses I've found on the market. One of which is a 5 string BSR Elite with rosewood top/walnut back. It appears to be made in 2002.

I'm just wondering if anyone (Ken?) knows anything about this specific wood combo? Not that it really matters, but on this bass I will be playing a lot of gospel and a good deal of jazz. I kind of want that classical gospel Smith tone. I have a few traditional Fender type basses...so thats not really what I'm after with this bass.

Who told you the Top is Rosewood and if so, what kind of Rosewood is it claimed to be? Please show me some pics and get me the serial #. Then I could possible solve the riddle..
Old 05-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Hmmm....

Quote:
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone (Ken?) knows anyghing about this specific wood combo? Not that it really matters, but on this bass I will be playing a lot of gospel and a good deal of jazz. I kind of want that classical gospel Smith tone. I have a few traditional Fender type basses...so thats not really what I'm after with this bass.

This sounds familiar. Where are you seeing this bass? Are you sure the top is not Morado? I am curious, can you elaborate more on the other woods used in this bass (i.e. the core, and laminates)? Most of the sound comes from the top, however, depending upon the set-up of any bass and rig used, that will have much influence on what comes out.

Based only on the info you have provided, there are a few ways you can go with this: Just to name some of my faves...and I'm sure you would be happy with any of these for your application:

1. Walnut T&B, Maple or Mahogany Core...
2. Cocobolo T&B, Maple or Mahogany Core.....
3. Maple T&B, Walnut or Magogany Core.....
4. Etc.

By the way, wood selection DOES really matter, depending on your taste for the sound you are seeking. If you ever decide to order new from Ken, I am sure he can help you and fix you right up!

Either way.....good luck!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 05-17-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Junior Posting Member

I want a new bass...but I can't afford one! I just cant justify the cost of a new bass...yet. Maybe someday...

Anyways, check the bass out...it's at the www.thelowend.net and is the only smith under the "used" section.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Ahh yes....

Quote:
I want a new bass...but I can't afford one! I just cant justify the cost of a new bass...yet. Maybe someday...

Anyways, check the bass out...it's at the www.thelowend.net and is the only smith under the "used" section.

Ahh yes, that's where I saw it.

Well, depending on the overall condition, $3,599. could be a good price. If you do it, make sure the overall condition is clearly understood! Looks like a nice bass and I don't think you would be disappointed with that wood combo. By the way, based on what I can see from the pic, the core is Maple and the Lam is Mahogany.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Moradooooo.......................

Ok, the Serial # is listed which is a huge help. Because Morado, the Maples and Mahogany are all spelled with 'M' we use the letter 'R' for Morado in the wood codes for ID. Morado is also known in Slang as Bolivian or Santos Rosewood so generically it has been called Rosewood in the past but just isn't. The Back on this looks like Morado as well. We have not mixed Morado and Walnut for Top and Back for over 15 years. The grain is straighter than the Top is but still, you can see the red hues mixed with browns and black grain lines which is not something you see on Walnut especially with the tight closed Ebony-like grain pores unlike porous Walnut.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Ahh yes, that's where I saw it.

Well, depending on the overall condition, $3,599. could be a good price. If you do it, make sure the overall condition is clearly understood! Looks like a nice bass and I don't think you would be disappointed with that wood combo. By the way, based on what I can see from the pic, the core is Maple and the Lam is Mahogany.
any idea what morado typically sounds like?
Old 05-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Sounds like....

Quote:
Morado is in the "heavier" class of woods (I would not ever let that be a factor). The lows would be on the warm/smooth side with nice highs. Again, based on what you are looking for, refer to my previous response.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Smooth Low End w/ High End Clarity

Quote:

Sounds like... looks like.. feels like.. tastes like..