Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 05-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Junior Posting Member

Ray Evans is on a distinguished road
Default Ken Smith Burner 4

Hi. I'm in the process of making a trade for this Ken Smith Burner 4 String. I've never owned a Smith, but am very exited to get my first. I'm not sure on alot of the details of this bass and neither is the owner. Could anyone give me an estimated value just by looking at the pictures i have listed?

Ray

Old 05-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Value..

That Model was discontinued at least 10 years ago if not more as far as the white color goes on the Standard model which it is. The List price ranged from about $1200 - $1500 when that model was made between 1989 - 1995 or so. Tell me the serial # and I will tell you the year!

Read this as well; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/bsrb/bsrb.html

Burner Basses sold from 20% to 40% off list depending on where and when you bought the Bass and the dealer and his needs as well. Foreign sales could range higher.

Read the reviews as well here; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models...timonial4.html
Old 05-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Junior Posting Member

Wow. That was fast. Thanks Ken. I will let you know the serial # as soon as I recieve the bass.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Junior Posting Member

Ken, The Serial # is 904034.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool That would be....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Evans View Post
Hi. I'm in the process of making a trade for this Ken Smith Burner 4 String. I've never owned a Smith, but am very exited to get my first. I'm not sure on alot of the details of this bass and neither is the owner. Could anyone give me an estimated value just by looking at the pictures i have listed?

Ray

Quote:
Ken, The Serial # is 904034.
Ray, looks like a nice one. A 1990 Burner-4 in great condition could yield between $600. and $700. on the market (a great buy for the buyer as these are really nice basses for the $'s).

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 06-08-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Junior Posting Member

Thanks Tim!
Old 06-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks Tim!
Hey Ray! Just wanted to jion in to say congrats on your first Ken Smith! I just received my first from Ken a few months ago, and I can say I'm a very happy camper.

Have a great time playing your Burner, man!
Old 06-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Junior Posting Member

thanks ronson.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Junior Posting Member

Santiago Bideberripe is on a distinguished road
Default ken smith burner V date...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
That Model was discontinued at least 10 years ago if not more as far as the white color goes on the Standard model which it is. The List price ranged from about $1200 - $1500 when that model was made between 1989 - 1995 or so. Tell me the serial # and I will tell you the year!

Read this as well; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/bsrb/bsrb.html

Burner Basses sold from 20% to 40% off list depending on where and when you bought the Bass and the dealer and his needs as well. Foreign sales could range higher.

Read the reviews as well here; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models...timonial4.html

hello ken, I was looking here in Argentine a KSB. is a burner V, maple neck whit two walnut stripes, mahogany? center body whit maple top and back. Two jazz bass pups. I dont know the year of construction and the place of construction (usa or japan) the serial number is 941127AM5. thanks a lot ken!!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Link..

( 4, 5 & 6 String Basses made in Japan & USA combined)

That serial # is the Artist model which was the top Burner model. It was handmade but carved and finished in Japan. We cut the body tops here and shipped them over. We also supplied Fingerboard blanks for most of the Burners as well as Figured maple and Walnut for the Custom models. Ash was usually bought there for the Basses but we did ship them some. After 1992, all Circuits were installed here in the shop.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default helps a lot..a few more cuestions...

Quote:
( 4, 5 & 6 String Basses made in Japan & USA combined)

That serial # is the Artist model which was the top Burner model. It was handmade but carved and finished in Japan. We cut the body tops here and shipped them over. We also supplied Fingerboard blanks for most of the Burners as well as Figured maple and Walnut for the Custom models. Ash was usually bought there for the Basses but we did ship them some. After 1992, all Circuits were installed here in the shop.

I hope this helps.
thanks a lot ken, but what is the year of construction of the bass ?? are diferent the circuits after/before 1992?? can you tell me what is the price of the bass today??? do you hace a link of the artist model????thanks again ken...

Last edited by Santiago Bideberripe; 09-19-2007 at 09:01 AM. Reason: I need more answers..
Old 09-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago Bideberripe View Post
thanks a lot ken, but what is the year of construction of the bass ?? are diferent the circuits after/before 1992?? can you tell me what is the price of the bass today??? do you hace a link of the artist model????thanks again ken...
It is a 1994, '94' in the beginning of the number plus, inside the back plate should be the #, date and my signature hand written on the foil.

The circuits after 1992 are similar in function but higher quality made in USA. There are no pics of the Artist model but it is the same as the Custom except it has 5-pc laminated body wings. I don't know the prices today as we don't make them and we don't judge the values of used Basses. They were several hundred dollars more than the Custom when they were being sold, that's all I can remember.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default one last cuestion

Quote:
It is a 1994, '94' in the beginning of the number plus, inside the back plate should be the #, date and my signature hand written on the foil.

The circuits after 1992 are similar in function but higher quality made in USA. There are no pics of the Artist model but it is the same as the Custom except it has 5-pc laminated body wings. I don't know the prices today as we don't make them and we don't judge the values of used Basses. They were several hundred dollars more than the Custom when they were being sold, that's all I can remember.
wow, what fast... first to all, thanks for your time ken, I apreciate to much...
las cuestion..how I make (o find) a finger ramp to put beteween the pickups??thanks again ken...I hope in the near future can visit Usa (and you amazing shop of course) sory for my bad english...
Old 09-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Ramps?

Quote:
wow, what fast... first to all, thanks for your time ken, I apreciate to much...
las cuestion..how I make (o find) a finger ramp to put beteween the pickups??thanks again ken...I hope in the near future can visit Usa (and you amazing shop of course) sory for my bad english...
Sorry, I don't make those.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default remplace circuit...

Quote:
Sorry, I don't make those.

the circuit of the burner is noisy. how much cost one circuit for the burner V?? thanks!!
Old 09-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb cost..

Quote:
the circuit of the burner is noisy. how much cost one circuit for the burner V?? thanks!!
The USA Circuit that goes in the Burner with 4 knobs (Bass and Treble) is $140. plus shipping. We ship only by UPS so figure that in your cost as well.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default circuit cuestion

Quote:
The USA Circuit that goes in the Burner with 4 knobs (Bass and Treble) is $140. plus shipping. We ship only by UPS so figure that in your cost as well.

ok, thanks again. that usa circuit is the only that can fit on the bass?
Old 10-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Junior Posting Member

Default circuit cuestion

Quote:

ok, thanks again. that usa circuit is the only smith pre who that can fit on the bass?
Old 10-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool which circuit..

Quote:
ok, thanks again. that usa circuit is the only smith pre who that can fit on the bass?
Well, the body is drilled for 4 knobs so that is the circuit that fits. The 5th knob for the mid control might fit with some extra work but only as a 9v unit. Drilling into a poly' or lacquer finish is not easy but I have done a few. Hard finishes are prone to chipping if not done carefully when drilling additional holes. Plus, with a tight cavity like the Burner, there is letting room for error. It must fit just right.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Junior Posting Member

Ryan Reed is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Burner

First of all, i just wanted to say thanks Ken for making my burner. I've had it since 98 and most people drool when they pick it up. I am a little upset now because every other bass i play just isn't as fun. I also wanted to know if you could give me a little history of my bass if you happen to know. Its painted black and the sn is 95 1339.
I'm currently building an accoustic bass and used the neck and other dimensions of the burner for this one.
Thanks again