Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > New Forum Member Introductions

Old 03-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Junior Posting Member

blas moya is on a distinguished road
Default Blas is here and new to this forum

Hi to everyone,
I'm new to this bass forum and looking forward to learn about everyone's experience with Ken Smith basses and others.

I've been playing bass for over 25 years now and have been with many great bands throughout the US. Originally from Spain, but ended up in the US at an early age of 10. My first real experience with music was in vocal choirs for most of my early age. I learned how to play guitar in 1964 and quickly joined a local garage band doing Creedence Clearwater and misc rock tunes. Throughout my mid teen, I was involved with several money making bands that traveled across California (usually small venues) until we moved to North Carolina (step fatther was in Air Force). But that didn't stop me in forming a local band which also performed out in venues.

I joined the Navy and did a little travel within the US, and everywhere I ended up, a band soon followed. After military (4 year), I joined a great funk group in AZ doing cover tunes as a lead vocalist and some rythm guitar. I eventually converted to Bass playing once I joined a soon to be local great band in Phoenix called Friends.. My influences are Mario Mantese (Heatwave), James Jamerson, Luis Johnson (Brother's Johnson), and of course Stevie Wonder. This is where I got my real experience having to learn tough songs (at the time) with slapping and all that. My first bass was the Ken Smith which I still own (1983 BT4 Custom). This bass has got to be the best instrument around period. I own Tobias 1992 (which I love) and a Ken Roscoe LS3005 but nothing compared to the rich sounds and slapping abilities with my KS.

I'm always experimenting on different sounds and techniques but I can't seem to get the old 70's Moog bass sounds. I do own a Moog instrument and have played it many times in gigs, but it sure would be nice come up with electronics on the bass that can replicate that. About 5 years ago, I bought a Cirrus 4 and 5 string bass (I still own) to experiment using a VBASS setup (GK2b). It did not even come close and was frustrating to use - programming took a lot of time, and eventually is now collecting dust.

I'm now located in Livermore, CA doing wine gigs with my local band, Chubby Dog. www.chubbydogband.com

Anyway - hello to everyone
Let's JAM!
Old 03-06-2008, 03:11 AM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Wine gigs? I like chardonnay!