Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 02-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Junior Posting Member

Pete Reynolds is on a distinguished road
Default Getting ready to restore

I'm getting ready to restore this bass. I would like an opinion about this instrument before I decide how much to do. I can't tell who made it. The only label is the "Made in Chechoslovakia" sticker. Can anyone tell the approximate age? I have owned it since 1958 or so. Played many jazz gigs over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Front.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1472  Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Back.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1473  Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Button.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1474  Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Left Side.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1475  Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Right Side.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1476  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Tuner front.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1477  
Old 02-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool "Made in Chechoslovakia" sticker..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Reynolds View Post
I'm getting ready to restore this bass. I would like an opinion about this instrument before I decide how much to do. I can't tell who made it. The only label is the "Made in Czechoslovakia" sticker. Can anyone tell the approximate age? I have owned it since 1958 or so. Played many jazz gigs over the years.
A "Made in Czechoslovakia" sticker means it was made after WWI and labeled for export. This bass already looks like it was refinished and not such a good job. The varnish on these 'factory/shop-type basses made for export' is usually of low quality. I am sure since the original varnish is gone another better attempt wont be such a bad idea if done to a high violin grade standard.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Junior Posting Member

Ken,
Do you think that it is worth replacing the finger board, tail piece and saddle with ebony? Really, what I spend on the bass depends on a value after repairs. Can you estimate a value range?
Thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool humm?

Quote:
Ken,
Do you think that it is worth replacing the finger board, tail piece and saddle with ebony? Really, what I spend on the bass depends on a value after repairs. Can you estimate a value range?
Thanks
Well, a bass like this is not one for international marketing or even national for that matter. It is something you will sell more locally or just use it yourself. That being said, it is worth what it will bring in your area, not mine. I don't know your exact market or buying range for players there.

On the Bass itself, it has extensive damage to the Back and the Top, both of which look to have been poorly repaired in the past. This will be an expensive restoration to set right. The Ebony parts is not your main expense but rather minor in comparison. To cost to restore this bass might exceed its total value in your area as well as mine. If it were a German roundback of a similar vintage I would say it would hold slightly more value as the Round Back is rarely an issue. Your best bet might be to clean it up as inexpensively as possible and put a new Fingerboard and Nut on. The TP is not important unless it's broken. I had a rosewood type TP on my 18th century Italian bass for 20 years and never thought twice about changing it.

For the Varnish, knock down that gloss and unevenness about it and put some darker coats over it. Don't bother stripping it. It's not worth it and not so easy either.

These kinds of basses sometimes sound better than they look and sound more expensive that they are worth. Get it ready for use and enjoy it.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Junior Posting Member

Thank you Ken. That is about what I expected. It does sound good and I have had a lot of fun with it over the years. I appreciate your time. I have also enjoyed reading several of the threads. It is very educational.
Thanks
Old 02-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Improve existing finish

Ken, How can the existing finish be smoothed out? The finish is an oil based spar varnish.
Thanks
Old 02-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question ??

Quote:
Ken, How can the existing finish be smoothed out? The finish is an oil based spar varnish.
Thanks
Spar varnish? On a musical instrument? Yikes.. Don't know.. Not my expertise. I thought Spar varnish was for boat decks and railings..