Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > German/Czech Shop Basses

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Junior Posting Member

Pete Wood is on a distinguished road
Default My German 3/4. Love to here you thoughts

I've had this german 3/4 for about 16 years. I played it through a music degree and then in orchestras, pits, at church, in jazz bands, in neo-swing band with a punk drummer and pretty much everything in between. The body is really very small and it doesn't do much fundamental under C on the A string. However, it's been pretty good to me and only suffered one crack in the belly in the whole time I've had it. It was restored by John Ferwerda in Melbourne just before I bought it. I was told at the time that it was dated to the 1920s, but the seller couldn't be sure. Love to hear your thoughts on when and where you think it was made. There are no markings or labels anywhere on the bass so it's a bit of mystery really.

Belly. A bit rough round the edges and the bass side has sunk a little, but it seems to be stable.

Back. Amazing flame maple.

Ribs. These are slightly waving in a few spots and have one repair but seem good aside of this.

Headstock and gears.

Neck. This is pretty much the nastiest thing about the bass. This repair was done who know's when, but it wasn't done all that well. I suspect that it probably need a graft. However, again, it's been stable and hasn't moved. It's just not very nice is all. The shop that sold it to me cheekily told me that it needed a new neck when I wanted to trade it some years back... grrr. Anyhow, I ended up keeping it.

Inside.

Love to hear your thoughts on it.