Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Strings

Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Posting Member

Kirk P Brosius is on a distinguished road
Default new strings, again

Hello all,

I've just taken delivery on my second set of Smith Compressors (M/L guage) and they went right on the 5MW and straight to a gig. I know that this is a big "OOPS" but I was eager and, what the heck?, I have a goo tuner! Just for good measure, I put in a new KS jack since I've been using a Monster for a few years and the stock was getting a bit loose.

Love the feel, tone and overall playability.

Just my thoughts, Kirk
Old 10-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Question "big OOPS"???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk P Brosius View Post
Hello all,

I've just taken delivery on my second set of Smith Compressors (M/L guage) and they went right on the 5MW and straight to a gig. I know that this is a big "OOPS" but I was eager and, what the heck?, I have a goo tuner! Just for good measure, I put in a new KS jack since I've been using a Monster for a few years and the stock was getting a bit loose.

Love the feel, tone and overall playability.

Just my thoughts, Kirk
Not sure what the "big OOPS" is about. Is it because of different gauge strings or something else?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

I'm assuming due to the strings stretching and going out of tune during the show. That's the only issue I'd worry about anyway.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 10-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Well.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
I'm assuming due to the strings stretching and going out of tune during the show. That's the only issue I'd worry about anyway.
That would be an easy fix though; just stretch the strings. On the other hand and to my point, changing gauges changes tension on neck. This could require a neck adjustment and/or a re-set-up, which would take way more time (something you would not want to do right before a gig).

Old 10-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Posting Member

Kirk P Brosius is on a distinguished road

Hello all and a "+" to Tim Bishop,

My new set was the same guage as the first so I didn't have any set-up issues. My main concern was staying in tune. I have found that the Smith strings are stable and hold tune very well. The gig went well, also, and there were no issues with staying in tune. I usually don't wire my tuner into my signal path at gigs, I just park it on my Markbass and check tuning before each set.

I cleaned the old set in de-natured alcohol and put them on my back-up bass which I bought to use while I sent my Smith in to Ken for some work. I really wish that I could have afforded a Smith as back-up but just couldn't put the funds together. There's a great looking KS 5 on the 'bay for $2500 but....
I did all the necessary (and more) research and bought a HumanBase 5str. It is a worthy substitute but....
The 34" scale, 3-up/2-down tuners made string swap easy and it plays well but...

Anyway, there's my story for this morning.

Regards, Kirk
Old 11-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Posting Member

Greg Lorisco is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

When you change your strings you should also check the intonation and neck relief as these due change with new strings, changing humidity, etc. So if you really want it in tune (meaning it sounds great all the way up to the 24th fret) you should check this when changing strings.

But if you don’t have time, and you are using the same string type and gauge, a good trick is to change one string at a time instead of taking them all off and then restringing. Changing one at a time does not allow the neck to relax much and tends to keep things the same, in tune, etc.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:16 AM
Junior Posting Member

johnadamcotter is on a distinguished road

i suggest when you change the strings before a show, put em all on, tume um up, then pull hard where the pickups are, then halfway down the neck, repeat on each string. should put you about 1-1.5 steps low, retune, and do it again, gently. Then tune it up and it will stay in tune. if one keeps going out, pull it again. be sure not to overlap the windings on the uh..winders? or it will never stay in tune.