Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 12-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Junior Posting Member

jeremy jones is on a distinguished road
Default BSR4EG Electronic issue? Need Help!!

I'm having some strange things happen with my BSR4EG.. It started cutting out like the battery was dying. It sounded like alot of static and the bass volume would go up and down.

I took off the back panel and replaced the battery.
Now when I plug my bass in no sound comes out at all.. unless I pull up the volume knob then it sounds perfect.

I took the battery back out and there was some crud on the contact so I cleaned it off. It worked until I unplugged it from the amp and replugged it in. Now the same thing is happening! It seems like the contact on the battery might not be working right. Its def not my amp or any cords.. I tried several different ones with the same results..

Any suggestions?
Old 12-16-2010, 05:21 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Question Hmmm....

Have you cleaned and/or checked out your input jack on the bass?

Old 12-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up Makes sense.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy jones View Post
.... unless I pull up the volume knob then it sounds perfect.
This makes sense: This will bypass the pre-amp and put you in Passive Mode and explains why you are getting sound.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:36 AM
Senior Posting Member

Lightbulb Crud?

Quote:
....I took the battery back out and there was some crud on the contact so I cleaned it off....
What exactly does this "crud" look like? Makes me wonder if there was a bad battery leak at some point. I would check out the battery wiring and surrounding areas carefully and determine if there is any corrosion damage.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Junior Posting Member

Thanks Tim!

Ok here are some pics..If i touch the battery contact while its plugged in it makes static noise.. It even came back on once and then died again.

I think the wiring may have gone bad on the connection. You can see the bluish green corrosion and also a brow ring around the negative side. I do have a soldering iron.. this seems like it could be an easy fix
Old 12-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up Yep...

Ahh, that's what I suspected. I would replace the battery cap and wiring. It is an easy fix and if you are comfortable doing it, you'll be good to go before you know it.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Junior Posting Member

So cleaned off the contact with a machinist stone and they defiantly need to be replaced...The connections are all loose but I got it working again..the connections seem really touchy.

I think I'll take it into a local shop and have them solder it I don't have the tools to do this.

Thanks for looking into this for me!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb ??

First off, be careful when you take it into a 'shop' as they are not trained on this circuit. They can only fix the obvious. How is your Jack? Some cabels wear out the inner spring from having oversized tips. Then, normal jacks are loose and cut out from the inner spring being stripped. What brand cable have you used most with this bass?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
First off, be careful when you take it into a 'shop' as they are not trained on this circuit. They can only fix the obvious. How is your Jack? Some cabels wear out the inner spring from having oversized tips. Then, normal jacks are loose and cut out from the inner spring being stripped. What brand cable have you used most with this bass?
The jack seems Ok its not loose all all. The connection is tight and makes a click noise when you plug in the cable like its seating into the jack. I don't see any crud or build up inside the jack so I would say its clean from what I can see anyway.

Im not sure how one would clean an input jack?

I just bought this bass used and its a 2000 model so I have no idea what cable(s) have been used on it. I use the fender cables myself though.

What cables do you recommend using?

Do you have a list of shops that know how to work on your basses?

Thanks Guys!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Senior Posting Member

Default Soldering?

Quote:
So cleaned off the contact with a machinist stone and they defiantly need to be replaced...The connections are all loose but I got it working again..the connections seem really touchy.

I think I'll take it into a local shop and have them solder it I don't have the tools to do this.

Thanks for looking into this for me!
Why not just locate a new battery cap with new wiring?

All you would need to do is cut far enough behind the damaged battery cap (including a determined amount of the original wire behind the damaged cap). Then just splice on the new cap and new wiring to the good/remaining wires. Make sense? It would be a very easy fix, however, if you are not comfortable doing this, then find someone qualified that is.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Senior Posting Member

Smile

Quote:
The jack seems Ok its not loose all all. The connection is tight and makes a click noise when you plug in the cable like its seating into the jack. I don't see any crud or build up inside the jack so I would say its clean from what I can see anyway.

Im not sure how one would clean an input jack?
Based on what you have described and with the pics to support it, I'm not convinced it's the input jack just yet. However, you should clean your input jack and 1/4 cable plug ends on occasion with a good Contact/Control Cleaner & lubricant. You can get this at Radio Shack and it will last you a lifetime. How to? Don't spray it into and inside the input jack, just spray some onto your 1/4 cable plug-end (not dripping) and insert it into and out of the input jack a few times. Do the same thing to the inputs of your amp. This will remove any dirt and oxidation that may be there. Afterwards, wipe your 1/4 plug-ends dry.

While you are at Radio Shack, buy a new battery cap.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 12-16-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Senior Posting Member

Smile Cables?

Quote:
...I just bought this bass used and its a 2000 model so I have no idea what cable(s) have been used on it. I use the fender cables myself though.

What cables do you recommend using?
Ken is referring to Monster Cables as wearing out the inner spring of his input jacks. He does not recommend using Monster Cables with his basses.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Senior Posting Member

Question Where do you live?

Quote:
....Do you have a list of shops that know how to work on your basses?
Where do you live? Are you close enough to Ken where you could take your bass in and have him check it out for you?

Old 12-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Why not just locate a new battery cap with new wiring?

All you would need to do is cut far enough behind the damaged battery cap (including a determined amount of the original wire behind the damaged cap). Then just splice on the new cap and new wiring to the good/remaining wires. Make sense? It would be a very easy fix, however, if you are not comfortable doing this, then find someone qualified that is.
That sounds like an easy fix I'm willing to try.. As long as I dont have to solder anything! I thought I had to take the wire off and re solder a new one to the circuit board.. I think I can handle splicing the wire!

Ill pick up some cleaner too while I'm at radio shack!

Is it better to use the gold coated cables? I always see those at the guitar store but never pony up the extra money for them. I didn't know monster cables were bad to use thanks for letting me know!

I'm in Newport News, VA so PA is really far for me to travel.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Senior Posting Member

Default Gold coated?

Quote:
....Is it better to use the gold coated cables? I always see those at the guitar store but never pony up the extra money for them....
Not necessarily. Just make sure the one you have is in good working order.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
Do you have a list of shops that know how to work on your basses?

Thanks Guys!
No, I have a list of those that have screwed them up but I can't give this out. Working on a Smith Bass is not like working on a Fender. Working on a Rolls Royce is not like working on a Ford. Owning tools and having a shop does not qualify one to do repairs in my book. No one but us has the exact parts for replacement or knows the ins and outs of the working of a Smith Bass as everything in the Bass is custom.

When basses get shipped here for repair, they are fixed correctly and fixed once. take it to 'Joe blow geetar repairz' (fictitious name) and prey they wont totally kill the bass.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Senior Posting Member

Lightbulb Bad?

Quote:
....I didn't know monster cables were bad to use thanks for letting me know!....
I've been using Monster Cables for years and have had no issues, but then I am VERY careful with my gear. Again, Ken is not recommending them for use with the Smith Basses/Input Jack.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
No, I have a list of those that have screwed them up but I can't give this out. Working on a Smith Bass is not like working on a Fender. Working on a Rolls Royce is not like working on a Ford. Owning tools and having a shop does not qualify one to do repairs in my book. No one but us has the exact parts for replacement or knows the ins and outs of the working of a Smith Bass as everything in the Bass is custom.

When basses get shipped here for repair, they are fixed correctly and fixed once. take it to 'Joe blow geetar repairz' (fictitious name) and prey they wont totally kill the bass.
That really puts KS bass owners between a rock and a hard place IMO. I don't doubt the quality of your work but it would be hundreds of dollars to ship a bass back and forth. I would defiantly consider it for major repairs, upgrades or if I lived near you but some of this should common knowledge to fix IMO.

Have you ever considered putting up youtube videos for stuff like maintenance and minor repairs? Do you have any sort of resource or manuals for repairs?
Old 12-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

I have a degree in electronics engineering, so I'm more than qualified to repair a bass.. Having said that, would you hire some random guy to touch up the Sistine chapel if you had access to Michelangelo? Any time it becomes necessary for work to be done on my Smith, Ken's shop will be the ones doing it.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 12-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb

Quote:
That really puts KS bass owners between a rock and a hard place IMO. I don't doubt the quality of your work but it would be hundreds of dollars to ship a bass back and forth. I would defiantly consider it for major repairs, upgrades or if I lived near you but some of this should common knowledge to fix IMO.

Have you ever considered putting up youtube videos for stuff like maintenance and minor repairs? Do you have any sort of resource or manuals for repairs?
It's not rocket science. I just see repair people ordering parts and making mistakes. Some of these guys think they know everything. I try teaching what I can but somethings can't be done on-line or on the phone. Would you go to a doctor for a procedure that he learned on line or on the phone? People DO visit us on occasion and learn things. This is something we cannot control.

Basses come in here set-up and adjusted by who knows and in an hour, we un-do and re-do it right. Some amount of feel and talent is required. It's not all Plumbing.