Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Amps, etc. [DB]

Old 04-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow New Product in the Wings!

For the past few years we have been toying with an idea that I'm going to share with you now. Although it is not yet ready for Market, it IS in the final stages of Design.

The Product is an outboard B.M.T. Preamp with a Practice Amp feature built in as well.

It is the exact same Preamp as used on our Basses but has been physically re-designed to fit in a small Box that can be clicked on and off with a foot switch.

With so many passive Fender type Basses on the market today, this will give you a Smith Preamp without needing any modifications to the Bass. Currently when a person installs a new preamp (ours or some other) it is IN the Bass. When you sell that Bass for whatever reason, taking it out might not be a good thing to do especially if it leaves unused holes that were added for the modification. In addition, the Bass you sell may not fetch any higher higher price due to the modification done to the instrument. With the Preamp outboard, you can sell the Bass and KEEP the Preamp to use with any other Bass you like.

With the D.I.P. switches inside the Box, this can also be used for the Double Bass that has a Pickup on it or even a Guitar. Actually, you can probably play Trumpet thru it as well as anything else you like since the EQ frequencies span such a broad range.

Taking a trip by Car, on a Bus or Train somewhere? Sit in the back seat (of the Car, recommended ) and plug your instrument in, hook up your head phones, use the PreAmp/Practice Amp on batteries or plug it into the DC charger (normally used for phone, GPS or lighter.. 'don't smoke') and practice while the other person Drives... Even with a Smith Bass, you can use this product if for nothing else but to practice with on a trip or late at night at home, in your Dorm room or even back stage on your Gig Breaks because it has the headphone feature.

So, do you guys think this is something you can find a use for?

Your thoughts? Questions?

The name of the Product? Well, it has a name but you will see it printed on the box when it comes out..
http://www.kensmithbasses.com/parts-accessories/papa/
Old 04-15-2009, 02:45 AM
Posting Member

Steve Alcott is on a distinguished road

This sounds like a cool idea. One question, though; why do the DIP switches have to be inside the box? Could they not be more readily accessible?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Testing completed..

I just finished the last basic test with the headphones. Everything up to that point had been tested and approved.

I hope to have a working proto-type to show in early June at the upcoming Double Bass convention (ISB) being held at Penn State (June 8-13) which is only about 3 hours drive from my shop.

Those of you that are attending the show are welcome to come by, say hello, try whatever we have on display (DBs for DB players only, lol) and even visit the shop the following week if you are still in the area.

After the first few units are completed, I will post some pictures as well as a full listing of all the features and specs.

Although I have had a few requests or suggestion as to what to put in this box, we will have to stay with our original plan to keep the board designs and box size originally planned as well as to keep the cost down.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Done>>

The Smith P.A.P.A. Is done. I have the first two units on my desk. I have a small sample batch coming in a few more days and then we will start producing them for the market.

The unit is $449. list. The Street price which is a discounted price will be published shortly. It will be a similar net price to just the Smith 18v circuit with Jack and Knobs but this Unit had much much more.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Arrow (page coming soon)

P.A.P.A. ™
The Smith Pre-Amp/Practice Amp
For all Amplified Musical Instruments:
Featuring the New Smith 18v 3-Band EQ System powered by 9v batteries or adapter. The Pre-Amp includes our DIP system, Active/Passive By-Pass Foot Switch, separate Volume Controls for Pre-Amp and Practice Amp features and more.. http://www.kensmithbasses.com/parts-accessories/papa/

Old 07-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Page up..

The P.A.P.A. page just went up. It is not yet complete but will be in a few days or so. At least for now, you can see the various applications the unit can do.. http://www.kensmithbasses.com/parts-accessories/papa/

It links directly from the Button on the Home page as well as from the 'What's New' section.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:30 AM
Junior Posting Member

ED LOZANO is on a distinguished road
Default Saving my money

Hell yeah! Am looking for cost cutting measures around the house to justify the acquisition, so momma can't complain. I'm excited Ken!
Old 07-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Junior Posting Member

Joseph Lubinsky Mast is on a distinguished road

This product looks great!
Do you have any advice as to how one could use this in conjunction with a second audio source? I would love to be able to play along with a record, itunes or even a metronome through the headphones while using the headphone amp as well . Do you think that a simple Y-adapter would be sufficient? Would that sacrifice the sound quality to much?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Lubinsky Mast View Post
This product looks great!
Do you have any advice as to how one could use this in conjunction with a second audio source? I would love to be able to play along with a record, itunes or even a metronome through the headphones while using the headphone amp as well . Do you think that a simple Y-adapter would be sufficient? Would that sacrifice the sound quality to much?
I don't really know. It is quite versatile so the only way to know is to try. I have a few in stock till the next batch is done sometime within the next month or so.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:36 AM
Junior Posting Member

Rannakad C. is on a distinguished road

It's the great preamp/practice amp. I love its mid tone.

One thing, I'm just wondering. What is the normal position of master volume should be?

I have it one. Normally, I turn the volume to 12 o'clock and play. but the sound is dropped from I plugged my bass directly to the amp (also preamp and bypass preamp). I'm, not sure I have to turn master to maximum level as it is 0 dB or not?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:32 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rannakad C. View Post
It's the great preamp/practice amp. I love its mid tone.

One thing, I'm just wondering. What is the normal position of master volume should be?

I have it one. Normally, I turn the volume to 12 o'clock and play. but the sound is dropped from I plugged my bass directly to the amp (also preamp and bypass preamp). I'm, not sure I have to turn master to maximum level as it is 0 dB or not?
You have a Smith PAPA? That was fast. I only shipped a few of them to my Japan distributor Hajime where yours came from. As far as the Volume goes, you put it up as much as you want to hear the sound. I would set the level from the passive mode first and the kick in the EQ.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Posting Member

Jason Mendelson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jason Mendelson Send a message via MSN to Jason Mendelson

So I finally got around to playing around with it! It sounds great... Nice to just sit and play without having to hook up my amps...

It really brings out the sound of my P-Bass and Jazz Bass Frettless... Gives them more presence, and an overall stronger tone!

Good job
Old 08-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mendelson View Post
So I finally got around to playing around with it! It sounds great... Nice to just sit and play without having to hook up my amps...

It really brings out the sound of my P-Bass and Jazz Bass Frettless... Gives them more presence, and an overall stronger tone!

Good job
Good report. Thx Jason!

Old 09-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Junior Posting Member

ED LOZANO is on a distinguished road
Default Awailable?

If I was to call the shop on saturday, would these be available to wail on?
Old 09-12-2009, 12:52 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED LOZANO View Post
If I was to call the shop on saturday, would these be available to wail on?
What Shop? Ours? We are not usually here on Saturday. I can be by appointment if available.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Junior Posting Member

Antonio Martinez is on a distinguished road
Default Question, anyone?

Hi, has anyone tried the P.A.P.A. with the KSD bass ? If so, how did it sound?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Martinez View Post
Hi, has anyone tried the P.A.P.A. with the KSD bass ? If so, how did it sound?
I haven't, but given the KSD bass has only the bass and treble to shape your tone, running it through the PAPA could only enhance your sound, because you would have the mid control included with the PAPA. The mid's are where you better shape your tone and stand out more in the mix.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Oh, and BTW..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Well, I think the question is more about the P.A.P.A. than the KSD. That's just the Bass he wants to use it with. I think iot should stay here but thanks for the suggestion.
I tested the P.A.P.A. right here in the office. I even took pics of it on the PAPA page. I think it does just what it's supposed to. Enhance the Bass. The other feature not mentioned as often is the Practice Amp use. That's part of the reason it was designed in the first place.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up PAPA in action..

Tonight for the first time ever, I used my own PAPA on a gig. It was an outdoor park venue in Philly with a 5-pc combo. The leader emailed me yesterday and said to save schlepping I could leave my amp home and just go through the sound system. I brought the PAPA so I could EQ it to my liking and boost or cut volume or EQ if need be between tunes. I worked out great. I tested it in the office with the bass I was bringing but was surprised how great it sounded live, outdoors and without an amp near me.

By the way, I left the DIP settings on the normal default which is how they are set in the Smith basses. It works just fine with a 3/4 Czech bass thru a portable sound system. They all said the bass sounded good and there was plenty of it as well.

My fingers don't hurt hardly at all after 2 sets in a park without an amp..
Old 10-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up PAPA at Guitar Con

At this weeks show in NJ I ran into Jazz Guitarist Frank DiBussolo who was scheduled to do a solo Show each afternoon. When I read on-line that he was scheduled to play I called him before driving down to let him know I would be there with Bass in hand. We had done a few gigs together before getting busy with the local Orchestra work about 5-6 years ago.

Well, there was a sound system set-up on the small stage so I used my PAPA, plugged it into the system (Frank did as well) and EQ'd the bass as needed and just played. The Bass sounded great on stage and according to the audience as well.

Because I had the PAPA and a nice set of head phones, I didn't bother bringing an Amp for the show to demo the Smith basses either. I knew that the PAPA could work just as well if I needed to demo the Basses on display.

The last concert I played I had my 3/4 old Bohemian bass. This time I brought the 7/8 Mittenwald which I have used for some Jazz tunes within a Classical Concert but never thru the PAPA.

I have to tell you that the more I use this PAPA, the more I see how valuable it can be. The EQ is clean and pure sounding.

I had a borrowed AMP in the booth each day but plugged into the sound system direct with the PAPA, the Amp as not missed at all!

When it got loud from all the Guitars blasting their licks, I used the headphones to practice my orchestra music which I had brought along as well. I felt almost like I was in another place..