Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 03-02-2014, 11:28 PM
Junior Posting Member

Nicholas Feigenbaum is on a distinguished road
Talking Double Bass Mayhem!

Hey guys, hows it going.

So I happen to be in the market of a new bass. And I am doing some thinking.

My current bass is a Gary Karr Upton from 09, but its a hybrid, and there are some tonal things I want to get rid of by upgrading to a fully carved bass.

Currently my options are-

Romano Solano Bass from David Gage (Bass No. 2508)

An Upton Concord (Reduced price for plywood sides but carved top and back)

and thats really it.

Where else should I be looking, or what else should I be looking at? Im really digging the solano, but I am truly a busetto man at heart (If I could find a good busetto in the price range I would be so happy! the range is aprox 8-9k but I want to get the Upton bent endpin block on it, so wiggle room would be nice)

Thanks!

-Nick
Old 03-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Posting Member

Adam Linz is on a distinguished road
Default Yes!

Come to the midwest, you can get a whole lotta bass for 8-9k. Good luck, fun to always be in the market.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Junior Posting Member

I wish I had the means to get out there.

Hey Ken mind weighing in please
Old 03-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool oops..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Feigenbaum View Post
I wish I had the means to get out there.

Hey Ken mind weighing in please
I was hoping to avoid talking about a particular company that you mentioned.

But, if you come here, we can discuss it. To go into slight detail, you are shopping shortsighted at the least. Also, your price range limits you to shop-made basses in the carved design and some of them can cost a fortune to properly restore if they are older or neglected with old and common damages.

But, I happen to have a mid 20th century German bass here that would fit your needs and price that is in very healthy condition. I was going to have some work done on it with the set-up before putting it on the market.

As far as the names you mentioned in your first post, I would rather not discuss any negativity on-line. I have however seen two Solano's in the Orchestras I play in and they were nice for the money. Romano is Italian and a professional player as well. His basses vary in model and materials a great deal. One reason I was told by one owner was that he will make a bass of most any model and at a price the buyer can afford or something like that. So, you will find variation in that regard.

I have also 2 carved Romanian basses here that are new, never owned and I have also sold many of these from this shop. Never ever had a problem with them and they are in your budget.

As far as your busetto (lower rounded corners) mention, that is merely a decoration and not a feature in which to shop for. I have a 1970 Busetto Pollmann at home that I practice on. Near mint condition but, way out of your current shopping range. This is a very fine handmade bass with a sound so match. It is the 2nd I have owned. This a 3/4 and by date it's from the father (Gunther) and the last one I had a 7/8ths by the elder son (Michael).

On the bent endpin thing, Gary Karr never needed one nor did anyone else till recently. Every bass I get in with that extra hole, I plug up. By the way, that German bass I have here, has that hole drilled so if you get here before it goes into set-up, you can keep the hole. Otherwise I'm gonna plug it up. It make the bass down-fire and loose sound. I've done a test so it's not just a theory.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:51 AM
Junior Posting Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I was hoping to avoid talking about a particular company that you mentioned.

But, if you come here, we can discuss it. To go into slight detail, you are shopping shortsighted at the least. Also, your price range limits you to shop-made basses in the carved design and some of them can cost a fortune to properly restore if they are older or neglected with old and common damages.

But, I happen to have a mid 20th century German bass here that would fit your needs and price that is in very healthy condition. I was going to have some work done on it with the set-up before putting it on the market.

As far as the names you mentioned in your first post, I would rather not discuss any negativity on-line. I have however seen two Solano's in the Orchestras I play in and they were nice for the money. Romano is Italian and a professional player as well. His basses vary in model and materials a great deal. One reason I was told by one owner was that he will make a bass of most any model and at a price the buyer can afford or something like that. So, you will find variation in that regard.

I have also 2 carved Romanian basses here that are new, never owned and I have also sold many of these from this shop. Never ever had a problem with them and they are in your budget.

As far as your busetto (lower rounded corners) mention, that is merely a decoration and not a feature in which to shop for. I have a 1970 Busetto Pollmann at home that I practice on. Near mint condition but, way out of your current shopping range. This is a very fine handmade bass with a sound so match. It is the 2nd I have owned. This a 3/4 and by date it's from the father (Gunther) and the last one I had a 7/8ths by the elder son (Michael).

On the bent endpin thing, Gary Karr never needed one nor did anyone else till recently. Every bass I get in with that extra hole, I plug up. By the way, that German bass I have here, has that hole drilled so if you get here before it goes into set-up, you can keep the hole. Otherwise I'm gonna plug it up. It make the bass down-fire and loose sound. I've done a test so it's not just a theory.
Hey Ken, let me touch on a few things

1. I know, I know. I do have a relationship with them so I thought maybe Id throw it in there. Ive never had a bad experience myself with them.

2. My price range is kind of stuck as is. Im a poor college student, who could gather up this much.

3. As for the Solano, I am going to get more information today about it by calling up and getting the low down. Finding how it was made, what its made of, and whatever else. It looks to be a slab cut top of spruce, and maple back and sides. It could very well be a consignment that has just been around a while, or priced for a quick sell.

4. I am looking to buy this summer specifically, as I will be doing a lot of bass, and have a chance to transition into it.

5. Thinking about it now, youre right about the busettos, i figured I would throw it in there just to throw it in. I do like them but I am much more focused sound wise. The sound is where its at!

6. My take on the endpin is, it was created by someone who had back issues and found a way to solve them. I have been suffering from back pain and Ive tried everything (sitting, standing, sitting on a high stool, sitting on a low stool, Ellison style sitting, more outward sitting,low endpin, high endpin) and at the end of the day my back and shoulder pain dont go away. I figured at least giving it a try couldnt hurt. I know KC strings and Upton both make and add on to the bottom of a bass that doesnt include drilling a hole. I could NEVER see myself drilling like that.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such an awesome response Ken. I truly appreciate it!

If you wouldn't mind could you tell me what I should look for, or at least a guide on what to go on with.

the places Im going to call today are

Gage
Upton
Bass Garden
Shank
Arnold Schnitzer
Kolstein

Im not buying anything today, but I do plan on asking for sound clips and then if I hear anything I like (like a blind audition) Ill go and try them in April.

Ill try and call or at the very least email today after rehearsal!

Thank you again!

-Nick
Old 03-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ok..

On your shopping list, and as far as the work that's done on basses for sale and how they are represented, I think Arnold is your first stop and the Bass Garden is your second on that list. Arnold I know does some of his work. I don't see how you can go to Shanks and not stop off at my shop on the way. From your town, straight down 81/476 and off at the Quakertown exit and you are at my place in a few minutes.

Sound clips? You can make anything sound good with a recording and good basses can sound bad as well. Hearing thru a speaker and in a room is two different things. I think sound clips are a waste of time. You have to play the basses. Second, I doubt any shop will bother with that request. I for one will not, for sure.

What if a bass does sound good on a clip and it is the sound you want but, when you go play the bass, it doesn't feel comfortable at all, the condition is worse than expected and the previous work inside is even worse? There goes your sound clip shopping.. lol.. Like a mail order bride maybe.. lol