Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 12-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Junior Posting Member

David Newcomb is on a distinguished road
Default How to breathe new life into my old Ken Smith??

Hi!

I bought Ken Smith #041 about 13 years ago on West 48th st in NY and she was well used at that point in time. Add 13 years- 4 of which she got played constantly on stage in a catskills cover band upstate, and many years of unfortunate neglect in the original hard shell case from after I got married.

Her current condition is fair (electronics poor)- desparately in need of a refinish, fret job, and possibly the pickups need to be rewound.

The preamp is kinda shot- dirty pots that cut out and a jack that needs replacement. The preamp is a sealed one piece unit i think with the initials HAZ (its been a while since i had the backplate off).

The pickups are blade humbuckers with WOOD casments (rosewood i think) that make this almost one of a kind instrument.

All told it still sings like a queen- this bass is a slappers delight! It would be nice if i could get her back into full professional condition, but to trust a different luthier might be disasterous- any ideas would be apprieciated!
Old 12-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Send it to Ken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four one View Post
Hi!

I bought Ken Smith #041 about 13 years ago on West 48th st in NY and she was well used at that point in time. Add 13 years- 4 of which she got played constantly on stage in a catskills cover band upstate, and many years of unfortunate neglect in the original hard shell case from after I got married.

Her current condition is fair (electronics poor)- desparately in need of a refinish, fret job, and possibly the pickups need to be rewound.

The preamp is kinda shot- dirty pots that cut out and a jack that needs replacement. The preamp is a sealed one piece unit i think with the initials HAZ (its been a while since i had the backplate off).

The pickups are blade humbuckers with WOOD casments (rosewood i think) that make this almost one of a kind instrument.

All told it still sings like a queen- this bass is a slappers delight! It would be nice if i could get her back into full professional condition, but to trust a different luthier might be disasterous- any ideas would be apprieciated!
Easy......Send it to Ken and have him restore it.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

What Tim said, really. No one else could really do it justice, and Ken might like getting an old beast like that back in his hands for a bit..

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 12-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb he preamp is a sealed one piece unit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newcomb View Post
Hi!

Sorry, but our Preamps are never sealed. Maybe you have a Passive circuit and you are looking at the midrange roll-off which we used back then.

As mentioned here, we do restore Smith Basses but we have to have it here to make any judgments or estimates. Those pickups were made ages ago before we had our own. It would be best to re-route the Bass and put the new ones in IF that have gone bad. The Blade models were made for us by Bill Lawrence from 1979-1982, period. Each batch was slightly different and in 1982 we developed our own Pickup which we still use today, the Soapbar with pole pieces.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default sorry i stand corrected!

you are right, Ken its not a "sealed unit" thats just what some repairman told me who did not want the headache.

I took the backplate off this morning and what i see is a circuitboard and parts and wires- no sealed unit.

Pickups still have some zing, getting a little tired maybe but not dead.

I'm gonna talk to my wife (da boss) and negotiate getting the bass sent for an estimate.

all together, the pots crackle some and have some dead spots, and the series/paralell switch closest to the jack only works in the up position.

Ken I'll send another message requesting the shipping details as soon as I think I can avoid an argument over budgeting at home, thanks!
Dave
Old 12-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb series/paralell switch closest to the jack only works in the up position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newcomb View Post
you are right, Ken its not a "sealed unit" thats just what some repairman told me who did not want the headache.

I took the backplate off this morning and what i see is a circuitboard and parts and wires- no sealed unit.

Pickups still have some zing, getting a little tired maybe but not dead.

I'm gonna talk to my wife (da boss) and negotiate getting the bass sent for an estimate.

all together, the pots crackle some and have some dead spots, and the series/paralell switch closest to the jack only works in the up position.

Ken I'll send another message requesting the shipping details as soon as I think I can avoid an argument over budgeting at home, thanks!
Dave
What Series/Parallel? That's a stand-by switch to turn the Bass ON and OFF. YES, it only has sound one way. That's what it was made to do. The other switch is probably a Phase Switch. With both pickups, when lifted, its the loudest. As you turn the Balance/Pickup blend control in either direction, it goes out of phase with less volume favoring the pickup you turn it to.. Right? The Switch down is normal Balance control use.. Right?

You have this Bass for 13 years and didn't know what the controls did?

I hope you do better with your driving...
Old 12-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Junior Posting Member

I hope so too, as I own a small cab company...

they say ignorance is bliss!! I must be mighty blissfull.