Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Strings

Old 03-15-2007, 07:35 AM
Junior Posting Member

Mike O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default string lengths

I've been very happy with the smith slick rounds on a dingwall bass, except that they aren't long enough. The Dingwall has fanned frets and a scale length that runs from 34 on the G string to 37 on the B string. I've bought two sets of slick rounds, one from a local store and on online, because the web site says they have a "37" WINDING LENGTH TO SILK ( +/- 1/2")." But on both sets the strings are too short--on the A the winding is in the nut slot, and on the E and B the winding extends well past the nut over the fingerboard.

Did I get two old or out of date sets? Did I misunderstand the web site? Can I get a set that's really 37 inches before the wrap, or a set that varies the length to fit?

Old 03-15-2007, 08:22 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb "37" Winding Length To Silk ( +/- 1/2")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Malley View Post
I've been very happy with the smith slick rounds on a dingwall bass, except that they aren't long enough. The Dingwall has fanned frets and a scale length that runs from 34 on the G string to 37 on the B string. I've bought two sets of slick rounds, one from a local store and on online, because the web site says they have a "37" WINDING LENGTH TO SILK ( +/- 1/2")." But on both sets the strings are too short--on the A the winding is in the nut slot, and on the E and B the winding extends well past the nut over the fingerboard.

Did I get two old or out of date sets? Did I misunderstand the web site? Can I get a set that's really 37 inches before the wrap, or a set that varies the length to fit?
This is including the Ball end and also the string is silked over the last 1/4" to 1/2" of winding giving it the tolerance mentioned as only approximate. This means that it can be as little as 36 1/4" to the silk adding the Ball and the +/- allowance. When we made them 38" long, too many people complained they were too long so we took off an inch. Maybe we need to have two lengths available. The Slicks and Compressors cannot wrap around the tuning post on the E or B without a strong chance of them breaking. These are made now to the 34" scale Fender Length and not for 35" in general. Your Bass is what I consider a non-standard scale length and can be hard to find strings to fit.

NOTE: I just measured all the Slicks and we have made them recently 3*" winding length with two 'B' length. The shorter 36.5" length being for instruments that can't take the 38" string without wrapping the winding portion around the Tuner Post. All the strings I measured at at least 38" including the Bass up to the start of the purple silk. Does this help you?

I will update our website now to reflect this change as well.

I did a Poll on TB a few years ago but they removed my Sticky. It was about the length of your 'B' String. Maybe I should start that again with a list of the previous results... Ok.. I'll do it..lol
Old 03-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Junior Posting Member

Thanks Ken--so I can find a longer B string, but the E and A will still be short?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool 38"

Quote:
Thanks Ken--so I can find a longer B string, but the E and A will still be short?
38" is the max on both.

Or.. a handmade.. buy a stainless 40" and sand down the edges off by hand.. A true handmade string..lol
Old 03-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Junior Posting Member

So who can sell me a 38 inch B and E?

Sanding stainless steel! No thanks!
Old 03-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb 38"?

Quote:
So who can sell me a 38 inch B and E?

Sanding stainless steel! No thanks!
38" we have. You need 39-40" to play safe. I have measured several today and they are 38" or a fraction more to the silk. This includes the Ball at the end when measuring.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Junior Posting Member

I just measured--I need 37/14 from the nut to the saddles on the low B. A 38 inch unwound length would work on all the strings but the G--could I call you and order a set mixed like that?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Hey, hey!

Quote:
I just measured--I need 37/14 from the nut to the saddles on the low B. A 38 inch unwound length would work on all the strings but the G--could I call you and order a set mixed like that?

Hey, hey, you are in Smith electric bass territory here. No talkin bout those "other" brands!

Old 03-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Hey, hey, you are in Smith electric bass territory here. No talkin bout those "other" brands!
As long as he buys our Strings for it, no harm, no foul...