Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Music [DB] > Classical and Symphony Bass Playing

Old 04-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Posting Member

Eduardo Barbosa is on a distinguished road
Default Getting into the Groove (Orchestra content)

This is my second season playing with a community Orchestra and I am loving the experience. I've been a professional musician for over 20 years mainly playing jazz. As you know after making so much money playing jazz I can finally afford to play classical music for fun! ;-)
Anyway, being that this is all new to me I have a question.
We perform about between 6 to 8 concerts every season. That is roughly one concert every month and a half.
We sight read the music on the very first rehearsal, which by the way always turns out better than I am expecting.
Then we don't run the piece until the dress rehearsal.
We work on very specific sections, bowing, tempos, intonation, etc.etc.
I feel that with each concert I get more into the groove of the orchestra. But I have been noticing that I take more advantage of the dress rehearsal. Although usually the dress rehearsal and the warm up before the concert become very stressful, because although we have been working on these small little sections we haven't really played together much at all.
I love the dress rehearsal because I get a real perspective of the piece as a total complete unity.
I wonder what everyone else's experience is like.
Maybe more of a balance between practicing the trouble spots but also running the piece could maybe be more beneficial at the end? anyone?
Old 04-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool from Jazz and such to the Orchestra section..

First off, I moved this from the Bull Pit to Classical Music where it should be.

I started back playing about 10 years ago and gradually worked up to going into an Orchestra. I had in the past played about everything you can imagine back in NYC in my 20 years there but I was much younger then.

I did a dress rehearsal last night and the run through was not perfect. There were a few stops along the way in both the pieces we were playing. Rarely to we go through the entire piece without a stop at the Dress. We save that for the Concert where anything can happen.

Being a Professional Orchestra on the smaller scale (converted from an older Community Orch.) we only get 3 rehearsals in total and then the Concert. We get the music about a month in advance. Many have played the music before and some have their own parts saved or in books so it's not totally new to everyone.

Last night we missed an entrance, the entire, ENTIRE Bass section for about 10 bars or so when we heard something we have to play, we finally came in. It sounded so beautiful while we counted our numerous bars of rest that when the Cellos came in, it was so sweet, our brains collectively just listened. I didn't realize until later when we went back over that section at the run-through and realized that WE come in WITH the Cellos there. I turned to my section and said "I know I can miss something or anyone else here but all 4 of us asleep at the wheel at the same time? How did that happen??" It was a big laugh and from that moment on, everyone counted every rest. Don't depend on anyone else to come in or count correctly, ever!

We do 3 hour rehearsals (7-10pm) and on a Friday night, most of us are tired by 8 or 9pm. Right now, I am about to get dressed and ready to go down to the venue and warm up so I will possibly report back here and tell how it went after mentioning how well it didn't go last night!

First though, I have to take my Bass back to the Office and switch it with my Italian as it might ring better for the last minute invite I got last night to do a Jazz Duo with the Piano soloist as his final Encore ending the first half. It's a tune I know but playing with no amp and with an Orchestra set-up on the bass, I need the easiest to play and loudest sound bass I have.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Posting Member

Yeah, I think I still need time learning more repertoire. I think I'll have a better perspective in a few years.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up learning more..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Barbosa View Post
Yeah, I think I still need time learning more repertoire. I think I'll have a better perspective in a few years.
For me, actual learning is doing. I have played various excerpts over the years but until I finally played them with the Orchestra, I really couldn't actually feel them.

Just keep playing as much as you can and the learning will never stop.

Tomorrow I have a one-shot Gig with a band Pop thing in-concert. "Pops goes the Classics' with Pianist Mac Frampton. We do a sound check rehearsal and then the concert. I have the music from a PDF they sent me a few days ago. I will use my German Neuner Bass with pickup and Amp as well as a Smith Burner BSRB Deluxe for a few tunes.

Monday thru Friday I will do the Show 'Fame' on electric bass (the Burner again) and on Sunday, the day before I will go thru the music with a CD the sent me. I already read thru about half of it but for the tempos I need the CD.

On Good Friday the week after I will do Handle's Messiah with a Chamber group. I have a copy on my excerpt disc but they are not doing all of it so until I get the music in the mail, I wont know exactly what they are playing. I already played thru the 2nd and 3rd part reading it off my monitor. We will have one rehearsal the night before and then a Friday 'day' service at one Church about 50 miles away with just a quintet due to budget and then an evening performance a bit closer to home at a different Church with the full Chamber orchestra, however big that is. I wont know till the first rehearsal the size of the group.

I also have a Pops/Orchestra concert in May which I will do with 3 spread out rehearsals prior. The basses alternate weekly rehearsals due to budget.

With all of this music I have to do within the various jobs it comes down to mostly reading and some memorizing what to play and how on the bass as it zooms by before my eyes and under my fingers. Mistakes can happen but the show must go on.

This is a busy month for me but I take what comes just to have some variety in my late musical life. It's fun and it's a challenge.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Posting Member

Thumbs up Unsung heroes!

Wow, that is a lot of work!!!
Every now and then I meet a bassist that does all kinds of work. Electric bass, upright bass, all sort of styles of music etc. etc.
And then I see some cats that are very talented and they are famous. But they only sort of do one type of thing, and outside their comfort zone they can hardly function at all.
Instead of becoming bitter and resentful I would like to make this just an observation.
I do admire some of the famous musicians, but I do admire even more the working musicians that are always reaching out for something new and always growing.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:49 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Barbosa View Post
Wow, that is a lot of work!!!
Every now and then I meet a bassist that does all kinds of work. Electric bass, upright bass, all sort of styles of music etc. etc.
And then I see some cats that are very talented and they are famous. But they only sort of do one type of thing, and outside their comfort zone they can hardly function at all.
Instead of becoming bitter and resentful I would like to make this just an observation.
I do admire some of the famous musicians, but I do admire even more the working musicians that are always reaching out for something new and always growing.
Well, you have phrases like 'Jack of all trades', 'Master of one', 'One trick pony', etc.. All them can be good names or be said in a condescending manner as well. For me, I have many interests musically depending on my mood and my period in life. Then, there are the Gigs I have done just to have a paying job.

Tonight's Concert was in my opinion 'good' but not great. It was a Pianist, elec. Keyboard, Drums, Trumpet/Flugel, regulars of this group and then the hired locals on Percussion including Vibes, Tymp, Elec Keys and everything else and myself on both DB and BG. On the math, that's 4 regulars and 2 subs. We rehearsed about 2 hours with a break in the middle and two sets on the stage. We were fed between Reh. and Show which for me is a major plus. After packing my gear on stage, I found some sandwiches still on the platter backstage.... One for the road.... Then, I packed the car and drove home.

I brought my German Neuner Bass, padded Stool, Bazin Bow, Pickup, cables, EBS 15 Drome Amp, Burner BSR B deluxe and a Guitar stand. I actually practiced switching basses between tunes as needed and went of the book before hand to let the leader know I need time to un-plug, put down and switch basses and re-plug as I used 2 cables, one for each bass. For the Smith bass I unplugged both ends each time to save the battery (just in case) and hung the end on the stand hook. For the Neuner DB, I leaned it on the rib on a chair.

I have played many gigs in my life doubling including one special gig back around 1985/6 in DC for President Regan. Switching basses logistics is part of the job and you have to keep your basses safe and secured as you move them around.

I would put myself in the class of 'Jack of all trades' but not at the head of the class, just in it..