Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Bows (and Rosin etc)

Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Junior Posting Member

Brandon Tuomikoski is on a distinguished road
Default So what is really different between french& german

I know some people like a french bow or a german bow the best.

But what are the advantages and disadvantages of each? I use french, and want to try german, but the way I hold my bass, seems hard to be able to use a german bow with it.

Not looking for the answer that this one is better than the other because it is.

I want to know the differences in playing and skill that each does.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Posting Member

Nathan Parker is on a distinguished road

My understanding of it is most basic, and maybe wrong. I chose german style because I heard it was easier to get a good sound with. Since I only use arco in a practice setting, I wanted to be able to get a sound as quick as possible.

Don't know if that's actually the case, that's the knowledge I grew up with. I'm sure a serious arco player can enlighten you more.

Edit: I should add that the teacher I wanted to study with played German, so that was the most influential of factors in my decision.

Last edited by Nathan Parker; 03-24-2009 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Add more info
Old 03-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb loaded question here..

I don't know if it is something related to ones body structure but to me, playing German is like walking with one leg tied to my back. I suck at it. French Bow is as natural to me as shaking a friends hand. German is like a fist fight with my hands tied up in a canvas bag. Not very comfortable in the least.

GET A PROFESSIONAL ORCHESTRA PLAYER/TEACHER WHO KNOWS BOTH BOWS. He will help you choose what is best for you. Playing of poor grade French bows is NO reason to play German so you can over press the strings when bowing.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

I played French for years and have played German for the last 5 or 6. I changed because of a hand injury (which I now think was caused by too much downward pressure - something I don't do anymore). I bow a lot. I don't claim to be an expert, but these are my thoughts. French is easier to access the E string when standing and certainly makes string crossing feel easier. German somehow seems to produce a darker sound that I like and is probably easier to get volume with. For me, it is a little kinder on my right hand.
To be honest, I like both bows and recently thought of getting a French and using both and having two bow holders on my bass - like that early shot in Gladiator where Maximus is riding his horse into battle and has two swords!
I suspect that it's probably good to spend a little time with both bows but, like strings, when you find the one that works for you, stay with it and don't waste time with 'what ifs'.
I remember being in a school years ago and walking past a practice room where a student was having a double bass lesson. He seemed to be making this wonderful sound that I can't describe; but I can always hear when I think of that day. I knew I wanted to get that sound on my bass. I looked in the room - he was playing German. Ah, but who knows!
With practice, either bow will work well.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:25 AM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

One of my former teachers put it well by saying that "A good German player is better than a poor French player, and vice versa."

I know some folks who play both and use them in different situations, German for solo, French for orchestra, or vice versa.

I have only used French, having started on 'cello, and frankly, am not that good with that, these days...

I have always heard what Ken said, that it has a lot to do with how one's hand and arm fall at one's side, naturally, and what teachers are available.

I would talk it over with your teacher. I find that teachers who can talk meaningfully about this are those who are making a living with the bow (read: professional orchestral players) or someone who has worked and trained in that world.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Myself, I changed from French to German when I was 17, because I started studying with a German player and also realized that the teacher I wanted to study for later on also played German. This was so early into my career that it didn't worsen my sound; on the contrary, I quickly started sounding better, because I was able to learn playing from scratch without making a habit out of my beginner's mistakes. But now when I went to Germany I realized how many small but oh so important mistakes I still do - a careful teacher is alpha and omega, at all times! I would not recommend playing another bow than your teacher. And, most players are specialized in one or the other. If you have really made up your mind about this bow business, find a teacher that suits you. And no, don't explore German all on your own. It just won't do you any real good, maybe apart from some fun.

As for the differences, well, of course there are some. But there is nothing that one bow can do that the other can't. If you can't play the E with German, you probably hold the bass too tilted towards your body, which is for another topic. If you want to encourage yourself to keep playing French, check out Francois Rabbath. He has made some DVDs which I am ashamed to admit that I don't own myself - yet! - but I understand that these are hallmarks for double bass playing and learning in general.