Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Amps, etc. [DB]

Old 01-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Posting Member

Dave Martin is on a distinguished road
Default Double Bass Preamp

Hey, folks,
My Fishman Platinum Pro died last night between the acts of the play I'm doing (Apparently it doesn't like having coffee with cream poured into it). So I'm soliciting opinions about other possibilities for a bass pre/DI. What are you using, and how do you like it? I'm using a Fishman Full Circle on my Juzek, which seems to work better than any of the other pickups I've tried, including those from Gage, Underwood and the older Fishman.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

You might like the discontinued Fishman 2 band parametric pre/DI. I found mine used and like it a lot. I prefer the flexibility of the parametric to the graphic on the Platinum Pro, which I used for a while. One caveat, it eats batteries, so you need to wall wart it.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Posting Member

Jeremy Darrow is on a distinguished road

I've been pretty happy with the LR Baggs para acoustic DI. It sounds good, is pretty flexible and is not too expensive. If your show is in town, you're welcome to borrow it to try it out.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow Db pa?

Get the portable P.A.P.A. Pre Amp.

The frequency points can be altered inside with the DIP switch. I have used this and it makes your bass sound so good, you can just use this and the P.A. system.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:23 AM
Posting Member

Well, here's the thing - For my current theatrical run (and with my swing band), I'm playing the bass through a Fender Bassman TV12, and when I lost the Fishman preamp between acts of the play, I just plugged directly into the amp and had the sound guy take a direct off the back of the amp (drastic problems require immediate solutions). After today's dress rehearsal (at a 2000 seat venue in South Carolina), the FOH guy came back to compliment me on my bass sound. Specifically, he said that it had been a long time since he could just push up a fader and get what he needed - no EQ, no compression, no nothing. I may just keep plugging into the amp, since that's one less battery to deal with...

But at the end of the run, I'll start trying the preamps mentioned above - and any others y'all suggest.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

Clearly it isn't bass specific, but I've had an ART "TubeMP", the Studio V3 version, for a couple of years now and it is a handy bit of gear and inexpensive too. Works well in most any setup for warming up the sound and getting levels right - plus it has phantom power and 1/4" and XLR in/outs which comes in handy. Thing is built like a tank too. Might be worth a look.

edit - I originally got it for my Rhodes stage piano, but have used it just as much for mics, bass/guitar and as a DI.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
Clearly it isn't bass specific, but I've had an ART "TubeMP", the Studio V3 version, for a couple of years now and it is a handy bit of gear and inexpensive too. Works well in most any setup for warming up the sound and getting levels right - plus it has phantom power and 1/4" and XLR in/outs which comes in handy. Thing is built like a tank too. Might be worth a look.

edit - I originally got it for my Rhodes stage piano, but have used it just as much for mics, bass/guitar and as a DI.
I know the ART stuff, Thomas - I seem to remember reviewing it for Recording Magazine a few years ago.

I'll most likely end up buying another Fishman, though since mine passed away, I've just been plugging my bass directly into the amp (with the sound guy taking a DI from the back of the amp). I'm not thrilled with the resulting sound, since the 3 band EQ on the amp doesn't really seem to fit my needs - but it's certainly workable for the run of this show, and for the live gigs we've been doing on the show's dark night each week.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb eq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
I know the ART stuff, Thomas - I seem to remember reviewing it for Recording Magazine a few years ago.

I'll most likely end up buying another Fishman, though since mine passed away, I've just been plugging my bass directly into the amp (with the sound guy taking a DI from the back of the amp). I'm not thrilled with the resulting sound, since the 3 band EQ on the amp doesn't really seem to fit my needs - but it's certainly workable for the run of this show, and for the live gigs we've been doing on the show's dark night each week.
As I posted on deaf ears above, the P.A.P.A. has switchable frequencies for each of the 3 bands inside the unit, 4 positions for each!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
As I posted on deaf ears above, the P.A.P.A. has switchable frequencies for each of the 3 bands inside the unit, 4 positions for each!
No, it didn't fall on deaf ears, Ken - and it looks quite interesting. But when I looked at your link, the PAPA seems to be an EQ and pre, but not a DI - that is, it seems to lack an XLR output. This would either necessitate another box on the floor so that a balanced signal can go to the house or (worse, at least from my perspective) the need to use the built in XLR output on my amp, which seems to be post gain/post EQ. I would also rather have an onboard PS, but that's a minor quibble).

I tend to use fairly mild EQ settings (I figure if I need dramatic equalization to get a usable tone, there are other issues which need to be addressed) and don't use any sort of compression on live gigs, so I have little doubt that the PAPA EQ would work great. But I would also prefer that the preamp be usable for PA purposes without the need for a separate DI.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool ok..

Quote:
No, it didn't fall on deaf ears, Ken - and it looks quite interesting. But when I looked at your link, the PAPA seems to be an EQ and pre, but not a DI - that is, it seems to lack an XLR output. This would either necessitate another box on the floor so that a balanced signal can go to the house or (worse, at least from my perspective) the need to use the built in XLR output on my amp, which seems to be post gain/post EQ. I would also rather have an onboard PS, but that's a minor quibble).

I tend to use fairly mild EQ settings (I figure if I need dramatic equalization to get a usable tone, there are other issues which need to be addressed) and don't use any sort of compression on live gigs, so I have little doubt that the PAPA EQ would work great. But I would also prefer that the preamp be usable for PA purposes without the need for a separate DI.
We opted for no direct box as it would make the box bigger and more expensive. If we did, it would be a bigger, upgraded more expensive unit. Everything we did was top notch so it's not cheap. Most people that want a preamp do not need the direct out. I can usually do that from the Amp as it takes the signal you feed it.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:15 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
We opted for no direct box as it would make the box bigger and more expensive. If we did, it would be a bigger, upgraded more expensive unit. Everything we did was top notch so it's not cheap. Most people that want a preamp do not need the direct out. I can usually do that from the Amp as it takes the signal you feed it.
I agree that adding a DI would make it bigger and more expensive, though I'm not opposed to paying well for the perfect tool for a given task (the reason I have those old Neumann and RCA microphones in the studio...). Is this a preamp that you sell direct, or would a KSB dealer stock such an item?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb

Quote:
I agree that adding a DI would make it bigger and more expensive, though I'm not opposed to paying well for the perfect tool for a given task (the reason I have those old Neumann and RCA microphones in the studio...). Is this a preamp that you sell direct, or would a KSB dealer stock such an item?
We can sell it direct and if a dealer has them, he can sell it as well. The Price is set and published. We have only sold them to a few dealers. We are not pushing this that hard to the dealer market. If it gets that way in time, so be it.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Posting Member

Dave Whitla is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old post, but it's an interesting topic- preamps for bass. Mostly I just use the line out of my Acoustic Image Coda amp, which is a very clean signal for any sound man I've had to deal with (following the K.I.S.S. rule).

If I'm blending with a mic, I use the blender box that came with my SD Systems mic. That doesn't have a DI, though, so it's still through my amp.

Occasionally I use an EBS Microbass, particularly if I have to play electric as well (rarely!). http://www.bass.se/2009/microbassII.htm
Works pretty well, although I haven't used it enough to really know it. I've noticed a lower volume level through my amp when using it, but maybe I just need to crank the volume on the box all the way up.

Did you end up going back to the Fishman, Dave?