Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Jazz/Pizz

Old 08-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Junior Posting Member

Adam Booker is on a distinguished road
Default D'adario helicore pizz and the eternal quest

So I've recently started using the D'adario helicore pizz strings. I had 180's on my bass (old German flat-back), but she likes higher tension to crank out the noise. I think these are starting to grow on me. To my ear, they have a rounder tone than spiro weichs, a bit more "oomph" to them with a good amount of sustain. Anybody else have any success with these?

Of course, all opinions in relation to me and strings are subject to a one month trial (that's usually how long it takes until I decide to try something else, which will be spiro mittels).
Old 08-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

I've used many sets of these in the past (hybrids also). I used to be an endorser. I think they are D'Addario's answer to Spiros. They come in 3 gauges, so lights would correspond to weichs, etc.

If you got a good set, they can be fine. My problem with them was the number of sets I had with a funky string here and there, inconsistency. I haven't used them for a while so I have no info on the current runs, but I never felt they were at the same quality level as Thomastiks. They are also a lot less money, so if you like them, that's a good thing.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Junior Posting Member

Yeah, between oliv's and velvets, I've strung myself into the poor house a few times. The price is nice.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool I have..

On my old Tirol Bass I have a set of Helicore Orchestra/Solo gauge tuned to regular pitch. These Bow and Pizz great. The Bass was in need of a lighter tensioned string before I ever owned it and one Luthier suggested these and put them on about 2 years ago. I just got the Bass a few months ago but so far, so good.

I also took these off for a moment and tried them on my Attrib. Cornerless Storioni. They were good on that Bass as well. The gauges measure close to the regular Flexocor 92s if that is of any help to know.

Now they are back on the Tyrolean and work just fine for what ever use I need them. Mostly I just use that Bass to practice at home with for Orchestra but I did take it out on a Jazz gig and was quite impressed with it overall. The Bass was fun to play on with those Strings.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:37 AM
Junior Posting Member

Keith Henderson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post
If you got a good set, they can be fine. My problem with them was the number of sets I had with a funky string here and there, inconsistency.
My ES-1 has a set of the pizz strings. I did have a problem with the "A" string. It had a metallic buzz or "brang" to it. I had it replaced and have had no problems since then.

I am picking up my Christopher Hybrid this weekend and I will be trying Pirastro Jazzers on it.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:12 AM
Junior Posting Member

Stefano Senni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Stefano Senni
Default D'Addario pizz

I think D'Addario Pizz E & A are the best for pizz playing, period. I've been using them for years now. I like their tension, growl and sustian. They also bow more than ok to me. I am matching them with 2 olivs on the G&D (my Italian bass) and with 2 Aquila Thunder G&D (Meisel travel bass).
Old 09-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Junior Posting Member

I was thinking of matching these with Oliv's. Are you using the heavy guage on the E and A.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Junior Posting Member

Stefano Senni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Stefano Senni

no, medium gauge.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Junior Posting Member

Cool, I have an Oliv G on the way. The A and E are great, still to broke for an Oliv D, but I'm happy about getting the G. On further reflection the d'adario G is a little wimpy.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Junior Posting Member

Sergio Netto is on a distinguished road
Default d'addario Helicore Pizzcato medium strings

I was using D'Addario Helicore Pizzcato medium strings in my bass and their sound was pretty good for jazz pizz, but when I bought my first set, the E string broke when I was tunning it. I contacted D'Addario and they sent me another E string. Then when I bought my second set of the same strings and put it on my bass, the same problem occurred with the E string. It has broken at the same place, near the roller.
I read in internet an advice for blending the Spirocore S42 E & A Med. double bass strings with Pirastro Obligato D & G bass strings.
I'm currently using Thomastik Spirocore Solo medium, but I don't like the D and G sound pretty much. I would like to try mixing the Spirocore E and A with Pirasto Obligatos D and G, but it's an expensive experience.
Can anyone help me?
Old 12-31-2009, 04:15 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Netto View Post
I was using D'Addario Helicore Pizzcato medium strings in my bass and their sound was pretty good for jazz pizz, but when I bought my first set, the E string broke when I was tunning it. I contacted D'Addario and they sent me another E string. Then when I bought my second set of the same strings and put it on my bass, the same problem occurred with the E string. It has broken at the same place, near the roller.
I read in internet an advice for blending the Spirocore S42 E & A Med. double bass strings with Pirastro Obligato D & G bass strings.
I'm currently using Thomastik Spirocore Solo medium, but I don't like the D and G sound pretty much. I would like to try mixing the Spirocore E and A with Pirasto Obligatos D and G, but it's an expensive experience.
Can anyone help me?
You posted this twice, so I'll answer you a different way here. I have used Spiro Mittel E and A with Obligatos and I think it is a good combination, especially if you use the bow and want an easier bowing D and G string. I don't think the solo spiro E and A would match up too well with the Oblis as the tension would be very different.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:44 AM
Junior Posting Member

Mark Stefaniw is on a distinguished road
Default D'Addario Helicore Pizzicato extended-E??

Nobody's talking about these strings over at the TB forum, and I am happy to see that we are over here -- albeit a while ago.

Currently, my setup is: Spiro mitt extended-E, spiro weich A/D, Olive G. The A is a bit weak on my bass, and I'm getting tired of having to muscle the E string around with the bow. The Olive-G is glorious, and the D is "meh-OK". I'd like a bit more growl and power on the E and A, and hopefully be easier to bow.

So I want to try a "poor man's" version of this same setup: Helicore Pizzicato med extended-E and A, with Zyex medium D&G on top.

1. Has anybody tried the extended-E helicore pizzicato string?
  2. Would pizz meds be a good combo with zyex meds?
- Mark

www.MarkStefaniwMusic.com
303-679-4437
Old 02-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stefaniw View Post
Nobody's talking about these strings over at the TB forum, and I am happy to see that we are over here -- albeit a while ago.

Currently, my setup is: Spiro mitt extended-E, spiro weich A/D, Olive G. The A is a bit weak on my bass, and I'm getting tired of having to muscle the E string around with the bow. The Olive-G is glorious, and the D is "meh-OK". I'd like a bit more growl and power on the E and A, and hopefully be easier to bow.

So I want to try a "poor man's" version of this same setup: Helicore Pizzicato med extended-E and A, with Zyex medium D&G on top.

1. Has anybody tried the extended-E helicore pizzicato string?
  2. Would pizz meds be a good combo with zyex meds?
- Mark
If you want an Orchestra set-up, stay with bowing strings. Having a modern bass, you will get plenty of pizz from most sets. Using a Pizz string will make bowing very difficult and not pleasing to the ear. To MY ear, Helicore orchestra strings ARE Pizz strings than can be bowed. They are not as mellow as Belcantos of Flexocors and even those Pizz well to my ear as I have used them on several OLD English and Italian basses for Jazz gigs as well as Orchestra playing with the exact same set-up.