Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 10-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jamale Davis is on a distinguished road
Default bass players... nicest people in the world?

Time and time again, i heard this statement made by musicians from all over: " bass players are the nicest people.... most down to earth... always willing to help fellow bass players, etc.

my question is basically do any of you guys agree with these statements? If so, can you explain why bass players are in fact the nicest people one can ever meet?

I'll start with one reason I've heard from a piano player from my last gig- his opinion was that the reason bass players are so nice is simply because there's plenty of work! we don't have to fight for jobs like sax players... anyone care to join in?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

I discussed this once with some drummers.... But seriously, we aren't the "Stars". We are usually just sidemen, so there is a bit of humbleness that comes with the territory. It is fairly true in Atlanta that we often sub for each other and try to help find gigs, etc. The musician network here is good in general, but truly, the local bassists are golden.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Junior Posting Member

HughFosterWood is on a distinguished road

hi-- I'm a new guy here, been lurking awhile. Gotta agree we're the nicest. Never seen it quite the same way with other instrument players but then again I'm biased.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool "Bass players are the nicest people.... most down to earth"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamale Davis View Post
Time and time again, i heard this statement made by musicians from all over: " bass players are the nicest people.... most down to earth... always willing to help fellow bass players, etc.

my question is basically do any of you guys agree with these statements? If so, can you explain why bass players are in fact the nicest people one can ever meet?

I'll start with one reason I've heard from a piano player from my last gig- his opinion was that the reason bass players are so nice is simply because there's plenty of work! we don't have to fight for jobs like sax players... anyone care to join in?
"Bass players are the nicest people..... most down to earth".....hmm.....Do I agree with these statements?.....While I am certain there are some exceptions.....

Sounds like someone is blowin some low-note-sunshine up someones shorts . Well, this is the first time I have ever heard this. Maybe I wasn't listening. Oh well, wouldn't be the first time.

I would say this: Whether you want to work or better your social skills; it would be in your best interest to be kind and bring a good attitude to the table; whatever it is you do or whatever the instrument is you play.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 11-26-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Junior Posting Member

HughFosterWood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
I would say this: Whether you want to work or better your social skills; it would be in your best interest to be kind and bring a good attitude to the table; whatever it is you do or whatever the instrument is you play.
sure thats what SHOULD happen but we're saying that bass players manage to do that more often than others
Old 11-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jim Gullen is on a distinguished road

I'd have to agree that...in my experience... bass players tend to be pretty easy-going. I think it relates to the instrument itself. Someone opined on TB that essentially every single thing about playing (and maintaining) the contrabass is a pain in the a$$. We put up with all of this because it's what speaks to us...or it's what we hear...or whatever it is that drives us stick with it. But having to deal with all the "idiosyncrises" of the instrument tends to be humbling. It makes it easier to deal with other people, I think.

On a somwhat related note: I was speaking with a colleague last night at rehearsal about service he had recieved sometime ago at a local shop that basically didn't want to work on basses or bass bows but rather than just say that, they gave my friend lousy service...evidently to ensure he'd never come back. We were talking and really confounded a violist when we agreed that we'd much rather just have a shop owner tell us that they don't want to work on our stuff. In fact, we'd UNDERSTAND that 'cause we know what a pain they can be! :-) He couldn't believe that we'd understand...even appreciate...someone saying they didn't want to work on our instruments if that's how they really felt.

Just a few thoughts...best regards!

Jim