Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 01-18-2018, 08:16 PM
Junior Posting Member

Marc gervais is on a distinguished road
Default Question about tailpieces and endpin

Okay, the bass i bought is certainly no rocket ship but im looking to upgrade certain parts and i need a push in the right direction. First, the tailpiece is metal, my bandmate calls it a bangledesh bicycle fender, lol. Should i replace it with an ebony one? Composite? Does it really make that much difference? And second, the endpin is clearly cheap, i have it extended 5 1/2 inches and on certain notes, or if you accidently bang it when playing it makes a terrible, really loud vibration noise.. any suggestions on whether or not to replace these items, with what and from which company would certainly be appreciated. Much thanks
Old 01-18-2018, 09:02 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc gervais View Post
Okay, the bass i bought is certainly no rocket ship but im looking to upgrade certain parts and i need a push in the right direction. First, the tailpiece is metal, my bandmate calls it a bangledesh bicycle fender, lol. Should i replace it with an ebony one? Composite? Does it really make that much difference? And second, the endpin is clearly cheap, i have it extended 5 1/2 inches and on certain notes, or if you accidentally bang it when playing it makes a terrible, really loud vibration noise.. any suggestions on whether or not to replace these items, with what and from which company would certainly be appreciated. Much thanks
First. get a teacher who is a professional Double bass player that also knows basses and also go to a professional double bass luthier as well. You can ask questions on line all day but we haven't seen your bass or seen you try and play it. Also, you have no idea who knows what on line when getting answers.

Pics of your bass and the right pics as well as pics of you playing it. The pics that can be used to help you with your problems.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:13 PM
Junior Posting Member

Marc gervais is on a distinguished road

Very very valid point. who actually knows who actually knows something is anybodies guess.. i shall heed your advice and take er to my good friends at Myhers Music in edmonton alberta.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:55 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Noo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc gervais View Post
Very very valid point. who actually knows who actually knows something is anybodies guess.. i shall heed your advice and take er to my good friends at Myhers Music in edmonton alberta.
That is a Guitar store. Double Bass Luthier. Memorize that. Or, your bass will never be correct.