Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 11-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Posting Member

Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols
Default bridge adjustment

I noticed on the back of my bridge, there are screws that are somehow attached to springs. Can/should those ever be adjusted? I was trying to set-up the action on my 5EG, to have the same feel as my 5TN (since I've been playing the 5TN for years, I'm most comfortable with that feel).
Old 11-30-2013, 04:00 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool intonation..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols View Post
I noticed on the back of my bridge, there are screws that are somehow attached to springs. Can/should those ever be adjusted? I was trying to set-up the action on my 5EG, to have the same feel as my 5TN (since I've been playing the 5TN for years, I'm most comfortable with that feel).
I start with the Scale length on the G string (or high C), measuring the vibrating length at 34". Then I pull back the D a bit (1/16" or 1mm) and each one the same behind that putting the saddles at that angle, each thicker string longer than the one before it. Depending on the thickness of your string, your string height and the bow in the neck/relief (no matter how slight), this can vary.

People cannot play a bass perfectly in tune. As soon as you press the string down, you are pulling it sharp over the fret or to the side. There is no way to intonate a bass perfectly when you can easily play it out of tune. I am talking slightly here in a way that most cannot hear the difference unless you can hold each note in the heat of passion and meter it. I set-up a bass so it sounds and playes in tune for me. Some people re-adjust it so they 'think' it's better in-tune. I use a tuning fork, Not a machine. It's how I learned and nothing beats vibrations, the beats. Also, harmonics are slightly flat to the closed note and setting it up to play the 24th fret in tune will leave the lower notes flat. This is my experience. The next time you listen to a recording, try and pick out the notes that are out of tune between the lower and upper register. The music and passion while playing and listening covers it up pretty well.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Posting Member

I was trying to lower the action a tad bit, and now I notice I have "dead spots" on the higher parts of the neck. I think I need to bring it in so you can reset it.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Posting Member

Danny Hernandez is on a distinguished road
Question

So any luck getting the bass up and running?

I just purchased my 1st KSB 6EG neck thru, and currently have been able to set up my current non KSB bolt on after taking in it to a so called professional that returned the bass in worse playing condition that I took it to him!

It would be cool if Ken or any of the guys here that have owned KSB would do like a instructional setup video. I wonder if the setup process would be the same for the Neck-thru vs. Bolt-on construction?

I don't thrust sending my current bass to anyone never the less the new Addition!
Old 12-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Exclamation dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols View Post
I was trying to lower the action a tad bit, and now I notice I have "dead spots" on the higher parts of the neck. I think I need to bring it in so you can reset it.
The string needs room to vibrate and breathe. If not, you are choking the sound and the pickups will pull on the stings making it worse. It's needs to be played like a bass so the wood can vibrate, not like a guitar.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Attention Musicians!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Hernandez View Post

I just purchased my 1st KSB 6EG neck thru, and currently have been able to set up my current non KSB bolt on after taking in it to a so called professional that returned the bass in worse playing condition that I took it to him!

It would be cool if Ken or any of the guys here that have owned KSB would do like a instructional setup video. I wonder if the setup process would be the same for the Neck-thru vs. Bolt-on construction?

I don't thrust sending my current bass to anyone never the less the new Addition!
For me, the set-up is different for every bass. How it vibrates determines how it feels. How it feels determines how I set it up. Not with measurements but with feel. I can close my eyes and set-up a bass and tune it by vibration by ear with a tuning fork. Not by machines or with rulers. We are supposed to be Musicians. So, use your hands and ears to adjust your bass, just like the way you play and make music, not with machines!!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Hernandez View Post

To be honest, I just put it aside and im playing my 5TN for now. Ill deal with it when I get to it.