Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne holmes View Post
for my 2cents-brace it--anything that will help it keep its shape -a break in the wood is going to be vulnerable to loose its shape and come apart as many do that I have seen-good luck-good question
The Angle Break at the top to loose its shape? I don't think there is much stress there at all. Mostly what I have seen is at the lower bouts on a flatback with the wider part of the wood is trying to breathe and when it moves, something somewhere gives.

I have never seen any problem develop in an upper Angle break within MY time. I have seen old basses with problems and repairs but I think it takes a long time or an accident for something to happen. If the wood is very thin or the break cut or bend poorly done or ill-supported than maybe it will fail sooner than later. This IS the original way Bass instruments were made as developed by D'Salo from the Viol.

On the original Posters question we are not totally sure if he is making a Bass and asking how to do the Back or fixing a Bass new or old. Of course making a bass, roundbacks of any arch from shallow to severe if done fairly well will see less problems over time than a flatback, period.

For me, I prefer a Roundback with low arch and a semi-center brace as well. In place of the angle break I prefer some type of gradual bend towards the neck. I don't see how cutting across the back for an upper bend is a good thing for the long hall regardless of how well its done.