Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Posting Member

Roger Vaughan is on a distinguished road
Default Having Thoughts About Burner Electronics

Hey all,

I got a Burner CR4 in a trade deal, and I really am liking this bass. I've spoken to Mr. Smith about it, and it'll be getting shipped home to PA for a sprucing up. It's got an electronics issue and I can't seem to be able to play it plugged in, which leads me to this:

I have noticed, through listening to youtube and other samples of the Smith sound, that the tone generally appears to be very refined... kind of narrow, clean, and midsy. Sweet, actually! Now I understand that there is actually a range of 'sounds' available via tone knobs, eq and p'up blend; yet I have to say still that I'm generally from the more 'knucklehead' school of rock n' roll as concerns the sound I like to hear coming from my bass- I like a little inherent grind, or dirt in there. Not that I want to go find an EB-0! Been there... but I'm after a little more grunt and grind, a little more 'phat', as opposed to that pristine voice that Hadrien Feraud (for instance) gets. My playing, with that sound, in my own humble opinion, would be a little like a mud-bathing pig wearing an expensive felt hat (I opted off of the 'lipstick verion of that remark, thanks). Then again, maybe it's just not my bag. Probably a better remark!

I love playing the bass, and I really like good music- whatever style it might represent. I don't consider myself a hack-player by any means- I dip into a pretty big bag of influences from Jaco to the Dead Kennedys- I'm genuinely enthusiastic at having procured this nice Smith axe here! Been wanting one since I started playing, 30 years ago.

I just like my sound to be a little thick, a little 'pushy', as opposed to 'polite'. No intent to make a presuming remark... pardon my poor use of descriptive language. I'm just after what I'm after.

So the bottom line is, 1) am I missing the mark here, and 2) in case I'm understood and not missing the mark, what would you guys recommend as a replacement for the stock electronics? There's a ton of stuff out there, including the new Villex stuff- as well as Aero, Nordstrand, Fralin, et al. Mr. Smith? Any thoughts?

Thanks for your opinions and comments!