Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 12-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Default Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy jones View Post
That really puts KS bass owners between a rock and a hard place IMO. I don't doubt the quality of your work but it would be hundreds of dollars to ship a bass back and forth. I would defiantly consider it for major repairs, upgrades or if I lived near you but some of this should common knowledge to fix IMO.

Have you ever considered putting up youtube videos for stuff like maintenance and minor repairs? Do you have any sort of resource or manuals for repairs?
I think Ken is just trying to tell you to be careful who you get to make repairs. I can certainly understand this as I'd probably be the same way if it were my bass. He's right.....I would add: There are self-proclaimed luthiers, technicians, etc. out there that are a dime-a-dozen. You don't want a simple fix, such as your case, to turn into a more major issue. I'm sure you know that though.

Report back when you get your battery cap replaced. I am expecting a good report.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Junior Posting Member

jeremy jones is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
I think Ken is just trying to tell you to be careful who you get to make repairs. I can certainly understand this as I'd probably be the same way if it were my bass. He's right.....I would add: There are self-proclaimed luthiers, technicians, etc. out there that are a dime-a-dozen. You don't want a simple fix, such as your case, to turn into a more major issue. I'm sure you know that though.

Report back when you get your battery cap replaced. I am expecting a good report.
I will keep you guys posted..

This maybe a silly question.
Shouldn't I solder the wires that I splice together? Is there anything I should disconnect before I solder the wires together? Besides the obvious ..not having the guitar plugged into the amp

Ken S. - Thanks for your time on the phone I really appreciated that! I definitely want you to service my bass sometime soon. The next time I'm in DC or Philli I will try to set something up for sure.

After talking with Ken today.. I think he made a good point..this bass probably sat around for a long time without being played with a battery in it maybe for years. This is a 2000 model and its like bran new the guy that sold it said it came from his "vault" and was originally purchased for his collection.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Senior Posting Member

Default Well....

Quote:
....This maybe a silly question.
Shouldn't I solder the wires that I splice together? ....
Well, only you know how good you are with a solder gun. If you can do it carefully and cleanly, go for it. Just make sure the exposed wires are wrapped/insulated well when you finish. Otherwise, maybe small wire connectors would be easier.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Junior Posting Member

jeremy jones is on a distinguished road

Well this repair was a success.. I spent about $10 on a batter connector, solder and heat shrink tubes. I was able to solder on a new battery connector and my bass works prefect now.

Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up BadaBing....

Quote:
Well this repair was a success.. I spent about $10 on a batter connector, solder and heat shrink tubes. I was able to solder on a new battery connector and my bass works prefect now.

Thanks for all your help guys!
BadaBing! You did good. Just what I was expecting to hear. Glad to hear all is well now.