Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > Modern Handmade Basses

Old 02-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeong Cham View Post

Are those English Baker tuning machines?

I'm asking because all the Baker style tunings machines that I've seen here in London have screws on the other side of the cheek to hold the cog in place. Would you please share how do they work (without screw) on your bass?
They are copies from Gallery Strings in England. If you look closely you'll see that the sides of the large gear are angled, which holds them in place via the pressure from the worm gear. I strongly prefer not to drill through the opposite side when installing gears. The scroll is considerably stronger this way, and less likely to break or split.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Junior Posting Member

Yeong Cham is on a distinguished road

Hi Arnold.

Thank you for sharing. Looks like the "Healey" model. Yes?

I feel the same about not drill the opposite side. Another thing about the Baker style tuners that I don't quite like is that in most cases the gears and screws/washers (on the other side) don't sit flat on the cheeks.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool flat on the cheeks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeong Cham View Post
Hi Arnold.

Thank you for sharing. Looks like the "Healey" model. Yes?

I feel the same about not drill the opposite side. Another thing about the Baker style tuners that I don't quite like is that in most cases the gears and screws/washers (on the other side) don't sit flat on the cheeks.
Yes, that is usually true with most gears of that style. However, I have never heard of anyone replacing 'real' Baker gears. They seem to last for ever, about two centuries going on three! For a Gear that good, I can live with the looks of the screw.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Senior Posting Member

Ken, care to share any news about this bass?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Ken, care to share any news about this bass?
Yes, sure, why not.

After careful consideration and a few players falling over it emotionally, I decided to sell it to a professional Orchestra player so it could get the attention it needs.

Being that I own the original and a dozen or more other old relics, I thought it would live best in the hands of a full time player.

Had ALL of my old basses sold before hand, I would have been more than happy having this as my one and only main bass. That NOT being the case, I offered it to sale as soon as the question popped up for a new Schnitzer Bass by a person trying this out, but not right away. I did have to think about it for a week or two to ease my own mind on the subject. Either way, I think he would have ordered one just like it as both him and another Orchestra Pro with him agreed that it didn't sound like a new bass and the low end was killer. Also, it played so easy it taught me for the future what I should look for in maximum comfort.

Now that this bass has been made and tried, I am even more spoiled in playability concept than I had been in the past.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Senior Posting Member

Matthew Tucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew Tucker

Well done both of you! So is there going to be a name for that "model"?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Smile name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
Well done both of you! So is there going to be a name for that "model"?
Maybe; Ex-Riccardi Cornerless Bass Copy (formerly attributed to 'Storioni')

You think it's catchy enough or a mile and a hlaf too long maybe for Marketing purposes?

They can just ask Arnold, 'that model you made for Ken'!

Ask Arnold, maybe he has a name. 'Lorenzo' maybe? Yes, we will call it Lorenzo as it was copied from a bass that was known as a Storioni (Lorenzo) whether it was/is or not. Also, if I sell a few basses here, I just might have him do it again within 98% or so and play around with woods and stuff. Just something for the 'bucket list' kinda thing..
Old 03-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Posting Member

Adrian Juras is on a distinguished road

I didn't think you would sell that bass Ken, but you are definitely right. Having it in the hands of a full time orchestra bassist is a good thing. It will be great to see the original when its fully restored. I'd love to hear it!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool yes,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Juras View Post
I didn't think you would sell that bass Ken, but you are definitely right. Having it in the hands of a full time orchestra bassist is a good thing. It will be great to see the original when its fully restored. I'd love to hear it!
I really wanted to hear them side by side but we will have to just rely on our memory. This happened before as well with my Dodd as it was sold before the Hart, Gilkes and Gamba basses were restored so I never got compare them to the Dodd either. The other 3 I did compare. All 3 were completely different sounding bass. As different as they looked, were built and as they measured.

The Original Cornerless (former Storioni Attr.) will ether be hidden away (for my use and/or break-in period) or due to its price, only be shown to buyers shopping in that range. I don't think I will have it on the rack for general visitors to play or demo.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Maybe; Ex-Riccardi Cornerless Bass Copy (formerly attributed to 'Storioni')

Bass With Corners Inspired By the Ex-Riccardi Cornerless Bass Formerly Attributed to Storioni Currently in the Ken Smith Collection
Old 03-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb but..

Quote:
Bass With Corners Inspired By the Ex-Riccardi Cornerless Bass Formerly Attributed to Storioni Currently in the Ken Smith Collection
I think you left out "with Tear Drop Button added"..

Oh, and.. "Round back instead of Flat"..

Or maybe just name it "Lorenzo" ?

Just brain storming here.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

"Freaking Awesome Bass With Corners Inspired By the Ex-Riccardi Cornerless Bass Formerly Attributed to Storioni Currently in the Ken Smith Collection"
Old 03-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up yup..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post
"Freaking Awesome Bass With Corners Inspired By the Ex-Riccardi Cornerless Bass Formerly Attributed to Storioni Currently in the Ken Smith Collection"
All true!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

How about:

"Freaking Awesome Bass With Corners Inspired By the Ex-Riccardi Cornerless Bass Formerly Attributed to Storioni (currently in the Ken Smith Collection); designed by Arnold Schnitzer and Ken Smith, built so beautifully by Arnold Schnitzer that it has been deemed sinful, and/or possibly illegal, to not be played nearly continuously by a professional Orchestral Bassist"

Last edited by Eric Swanson; 03-22-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
How about:

"Freaking Awesome Bass With Corners Inspired By the Ex-Riccardi Cornerless Bass Formerly Attributed to Storioni (currently in the Ken Smith Collection); designed by Arnold Schnitzer and Ken Smith, built so beautifully by Arnold Schnitzer that it has been deemed sinful, and/or possibly illegal, to not be played nearly continuously by a professional Orchestral Bassist"
Can you fit that on a bumper sticker?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
How about:

Lorenzo it is.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:07 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Talking ok..

Quote:
Lorenzo it is.
Great idea Arnold.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

"Figlio de Storioni" (son of Storioni)?

Last edited by Eric Swanson; 03-23-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Junior Posting Member

Robert J Spear is on a distinguished road

I hope this bass will find its way to the ISB Convention in Rochester in 2013. I'd love to see it. I have not closely followed the chatter on cornerless basses, but there seems to be a prevailing theory that they sound better. Of course, I ask if the sound is better because they are cornerless, because they are a few hundred years old, because they were made by guys who knew what they were doing, or because time has weeded out all the clunkers?

I can tell you that modern acoustical research has shown that there's a lot of bending going on in the center bout region of bowed string instruments. My feeling is that the presence of corner blocks acts to stiffen the center, but without any good evidence as to whether this is a good or bad thing. There's a good bit of evidence that the violin evolved from the viheula, a small Spanish guitar, which makes me wonder why we don't see more cornerless instruments. The bass, on the other hand, is perhaps a different breed. Anyway, get cracking, Arnold, and lobby Ken to let us see this puppy when it's done.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J Spear View Post
Anyway, get cracking, Arnold, and lobby Ken to let us see this puppy when it's done.
Robert, the Bass (copy) was completed shown at the last VSA in Cleveland. Shortly after, the C-Extension was added and then delivered to me. After playing only a single rehearsal with the bass, it was Sold to a professional Orchestra player. I never got to use it on a Gig myself. By the time it was Sold, the original was restored and ready to use. It is a great bass and the sound had some age right out of the box, so to speak. I am sure it will come to develop as one of the great early 21th century basses.

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/double...hnitzer-smith/ ..Sold..

Arnold Schnitzer

New York, 2010
SOLD

Last edited by Ken Smith; 10-29-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Robert Spears' 5ths Tuning/ISB '13 topic mentioned was split off into another thread in 'Double Basses'