Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 05-31-2009, 01:45 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default epi-what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
Ken, good luck.
Just a little thing though, I noticed you've been doing a little bit of episodic posting on this thread. Please keep multiple posting for the bull pit, where it belongs.
Oh, and I'll keep an eye on Tim while you're away.
Lol.. Richard, what am I to do with you??
Old 05-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Lol.. Richard, what am I to do you you??
Are you asking some guy called 'you you'? Sounds like someone out of The Mikado.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Ken, what basses will you be displaying?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool My Display..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Ken, what basses will you be displaying?
Arnold, I posted this a short time ago, post #15;
Quote:
We will be in Room 117, near the Esber Recital Hall in the School of Music Building, sharing the large Room 117 with one, perhaps two other vendors.

This is not where most of the other exhibits are but it's near the Recital Stage area in an adjacent building. Maybe we will be able to use the Stage to demo Basses, who knows?

The line-up at this time is;
Samuel Gilkes, London 1814
John Thomas Hart, London c.1830
Attr. English Gamba, c.1780
Oreste Martini, Mantova 1919
Oreste Candi, Genoa 1936
Peter Hamilton-Box, Kent 2008

We will also show a collection of fine French model Bass bows as well as our affordable KSB Bows in French (stamped C.Loveri) and German (stamped B.Fendt).
As of now, I still plan on bringing the same 6 Basses. What are you bringing?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Posting Member

Craig Regan is on a distinguished road

Here is a picture of Ken and his basses at the 2009 ISB.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Play it Ken.....

Very cool pic!

Old 06-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Senior Posting Member

Who is the guy standing next to Ken? Did Ken give him a turn?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool lol..

Quote:
Who is the guy standing next to Ken? Did Ken give him a turn?
Give a turn? Of course. I only played the bass for the picture. Most of the time I just watch them play and answer questions about the basses. That is the Martini by the way that I was playing in the picture.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Posting Member

Craig Regan is on a distinguished road
Default Ken @ ISB convention, photo II

Another photo from the Convention.

Last edited by Craig Regan; 06-11-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Great pic!

Great pic!

Old 06-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Senior Posting Member

Yes, great picture.
Is the G string set at 5mm?
Old 06-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool 5?

Quote:
Yes, great picture.
If that's the Martini, I will measure it. Probably closer to 4mm under the 'G'. That bass plays like a dream..

Stefano Sciascia played the Martini today as well as most of my other basses and asked if I play it a lot as he commented that it was more 'open' than the Gilkes or Hart. I told him it is one of my favorite basses to play. He also liked the Candi as well. What a player he is or rather I should say, what a musician. Also, he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. At the same time I had the world famous Italian Luthier Sergio Scaramelli there also playing the Basses.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:07 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
If that's the Martini, I will measure it. Probably closer to 4mm under the 'G'. That bass plays like a dream..

Stefano Sciascia played the Martini today as well as most of my other basses and asked if I play it alot as he commented that it was more 'open' than the Gilkes or Hart. I told him it is one of my favorite basses to play. He also liked the Candi as well. What a player he is or rather I should say, what a musician. Also, he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. At the same time I had the world famos Italian Luthier Sergio Scaramelli there also playing the Basses.
Great to hear you're having so much fun, my friend. May it continue!
Old 06-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up ok..

I am back home, finally. This was a long week. I packed up basses on Thursday and Friday, loaded the van on Saturday and drove up Sunday. I set up Sunday and Monday and the exhibits that were supposed to start on Tuesday started on Monday for us. Why? because our room was in the Music building where the Solo competition was being held. As people emptied out from the theater, they wandered into my room. I was also sharing the room with Bow dealer Chris Brown who is also a top notch bassist. He is the Principal with the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra and formerly played with both the Pittsburgh and Detroit Symphonies.

So, what does one do working all week long with a bassist of that caliber? Ask for a Lesson, of course.. I also got a lesson with another bassist that I have known for years (Doug Mapp) but didn't know he was as good as he is. he is currently the Principal of the Reading symphony and has subbed and toured with the Philly Orch as well. I knew he played in the Reading but never knew about the Philly job.

Now I have some work to do. Besides the two semi-formal lessing in which I played a bit and then took comments and correction as well as what to do to work on things to fix the problems, I was able to watch up close and personal some of the best players in the world play my collection of basses.

Example.. Just before dinner last night, Arnold Schnitzer (a bassist too.. don't kid yourself), my friend Kevin (a Philly pro and teacher at UArts) and myself were playing a Bass trio jazz tune. Paul Ellison walks but and hangs out to listen. Then as I am about to take a solo, John Clayton walks by and I call out, "John, come help me with this. I don't know the tune".. (joking slightly). He takes "Big Ben" from my hands (Arnold with the Martini and Kevin with the Candi) and starts playing some chords. Then Arnold hands me the Martini and I bow the bottom till we finished... Just another day at the office.. lol

There were so many top players there I felt like I was a beginner. Leon Bosch came by several times each day and played my basses. He is so so good I can't begin to tell you. I don't think I can play as good as him if I live another 200 years..

Folks, JOIN the ISB and ask for a copy of the Program of this last show that ended today. You will not believe how many great and famous players where there. The Basses on exhibit were just a drop in the bucket as compared to the music played and the people there.

I met Linda McKnight while finishing up dinner and than sat next to Bert Turetsky while watching Ron Carter in concert.. Just a small sample of an evening at the ISB.. Oh, and I walked from dinner to the concert with Stefano Sciascia as we just happen to be walking out of the same restaurant.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up 4mm..

Quote:
Yes, great picture.
Quote:
f that's the Martini, I will measure it. Probably closer to 4mm under the 'G'. That bass plays like a dream..

Stefano Sciascia played the Martini today as well as most of my other basses and asked if I play it a lot as he commented that it was more 'open' than the Gilkes or Hart. I told him it is one of my favorite basses to play. He also liked the Candi as well. What a player he is or rather I should say, what a musician. Also, he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. At the same time I had the world famous Italian Luthier Sergio Scaramelli there also playing the Basses.
Ok, confirmed, 4mm but it may have risen a little since in the heat and humidity. I will leave it as it is for now because the Martini is the Bass I practice on and play the most. 5mm is about the highest I play it at under the G. The heights increase about a millimeter or so per string down to the E in case you were wondering.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Ok, confirmed, 4mm but it may have risen a little since in the heat and humidity. I will leave it as it is for now because the Martini is the Bass I practice on and play the most. 5mm is about the highest I play it at under the G. The heights increase about a millimeter or so per string down to the E in case you were wondering.
Thanks Ken, and I'm glad you had such a good time at the ISB.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Example.. Just before dinner last night, Arnold Schnitzer (a bassist too.. don't kid yourself), my friend Kevin (a Philly pro and teacher at UArts) and myself were playing a Bass trio jazz tune. Paul Ellison walks but and hangs out to listen. Then as I am about to take a solo, John Clayton walks by and I call out, "John, come help me with this. I don't know the tune".. (joking slightly). He takes "Big Ben" from my hands (Arnold with the Martini and Kevin with the Candi) and starts playing
Yeah, first I was attempting to bow the melody to "My Romance". I look up and Paul Ellison is standing next to me. I exclaim, "Paul, I don't really do this!" (play the bass). Then the three of us are playing a fast blues, and I open my eyes because I notice the guy next to me is SMOKIN! And it's John Clayton! Holy crap!!! What key were we in? Only at the ISB...

Here's my John Clayton story. I hope he reads this.

It's 1976 or 77. I just finished a week at Blues Alley in D.C. with Gap Mangione (Chuck's older brother). We have a night off before we fly to Seattle for our next engagement. I go into the club to try and hit on Susan, a gorgeous air-head of a waitress. The band starts up. Monty Alexander with Jeff Hamilton and John Clayton. I stop my flirtation in mid-sentence as my jaw will not rise from the floor. My goodness, it sounds like Ray Brown on the bottom end, but with something else, a slightly different bounce to the notes, a little more aggressive feel. Then he takes a solo! I left my place at the bar and went to hang by the bandstand. After a couple tunes, I started drinking. A lot. "I'm finding another line of work", I told myself. In the end I did find another line of work, and that's going just fine.

John, you are a mother$^%^$ of a musician and a wonderful guy to boot. It was a thrill to hear you in 76/77 and to play a few choruses with you in 2009.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Wow..

Wow, too cool!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 06-14-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Speaking of "too cool"....

Speaking of "too cool" and "wow"....if you haven't seen or heard this; check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&h...&v=7vfHTn_4SFw

Old 06-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Ken or Arnold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Speaking of "too cool" and "wow"....if you haven't seen or heard this; check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&h...&v=7vfHTn_4SFw
Ken or Arnold, what do you know about the DB John is playing in this clip (....in addition to the fantastic sound he projects)?