Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 04-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Junior Posting Member

Willie Williams is on a distinguished road
Default Just Ordered New Bsr Gn 5 String Bass

I don't think I have ever been this excited about spending this much money. About an hour ago I ordered a new BSR GN 5 string bass. I am getting a Bubinga top and bottom with a Walnut core. I like the way the dark woods look and sound. This will be my 4th Smith, but my first neck through. I play gospel, and my slap tone is very important to me. I was looking for a aggressive articulate tone (hope I nailed it with this combination). The hard part is going to be waiting the 4 to 6 month period. This is the first time in 12 years I have not had a Ken Smith bass on hand. I sold my 6 string a few weeks ago. What can I say, I am a 5 string kind of guy, but I at least had to give a 6 string a try.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Congrtats.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williams View Post
I don't think I have ever been this excited about spending this much money. About an hour ago I ordered a new BSR GN 5 string bass. I am getting a Bubinga top and bottom with a Walnut core. I like the way the dark woods look and sound. This will be my 4th Smith, but my first neck through. I play gospel, and my slap tone is very important to me. I was looking for a aggressive articulate tone (hope I nailed it with this combination). The hard part is going to be waiting the 4 to 6 month period. This is the first time in 12 years I have not had a Ken Smith bass on hand. I sold my 6 string a few weeks ago. What can I say, I am a 5 string kind of guy, but I at least had to give a 6 string a try.

Congrats! You will not be disappointed!

I am a "neck-thru" player all the way and I have played both designs. So, given that.........

Because you are going to a neck-thru from a bolt-on design (oh you are going to love it!), you may find an adjustment on your part is necessary because the neck-thrus play oh-so-much-sweater! Actually, I would say it would be a more noticeable adjustment if you were going to a bolt-on neck from a neck-thru.

For me, no comparison in feel: I will never go back to a bolt-on neck. But then again, that's why you are paying the bigger bucks!

Old 04-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Junior Posting Member

The wait is going to be tough. It is cool that I can order just what I want. On the other 3 I bought what they had available not really knowing the ins and outs of the different models. The 6 string I just sold was an "M" model which from what I understand is more of an entry level bass. What saved me was it had an exotic cocobolo top which added value to it when selling it. That is why I am not taking any chances this time.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool The wait.....

Quote:
The wait is going to be tough. It is cool that I can order just what I want. On the other 3 I bought what they had available not really knowing the ins and outs of the different models. The 6 string I just sold was an "M" model which from what I understand is more of an entry level bass. What saved me was it had an exotic cocobolo top which added value to it when selling it. That is why I am not taking any chances this time.

Cocobolo, Maple, and Walnut are probably my favorite combinations of woods used in a bass.

Among others, I have a 5EG: Cocobolo Top and Back, Tiger Maple Lams, and Walnut core. A BMT6 7&7: Cocobolo Top and Back, Tiger Maple and Walnut Lams, with Tiger Maple Core. Without hesitation, I would say these are my favorite wood combo's of all my Smiths.

The wait will be worth it, I promise!

Old 04-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road
Default "Entry-Level?" Hmmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Cocobolo, Maple, and Walnut are probably my favorite combinations of woods used in a bass.

Among others, I have a 5EG: Cocobolo Top and Back, Tiger Maple Lams, and Walnut core. A BMT6 7&7: Cocobolo Top and Back, Tiger Maple and Walnut Lams, with Tiger Maple Core. Without hesitation, I would say these are my favorite wood combo's of all my Smiths.

Tim, I'd like to "chime in" here for a moment:

While I believe that there is a marked difference in a neck-thru versus a bolt-on necked Ken Smith bass, and with all due respect to Willie (glad to meet you, Willie!), I'm going to have to say that I don't believe I just finished paying literally thousands of dollars for an "entry-level" Ken Smith!!

Of course, I'm certainly no expert (yet) on Ken Smith basses; however, my BSR5MW Cocobolo top and back beauty with its Tiger Maple core sounds, in a word...great!!! It may not have a "neck-thru" sound or sophistication, but..."entry-level?" I think not!!

I think some other adjectives may be more appropriate!
Old 04-17-2007, 12:17 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool "entry-level" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post

While I believe that there is a marked difference in a neck-thru versus a bolt-on necked Ken Smith bass, and with all due respect to Willie (glad to meet you, Willie!), I'm going to have to say that I don't believe I just finished paying literally thousands of dollars for an "entry-level" Ken Smith!!

Of course, I'm certainly no expert (yet) on Ken Smith basses; however, my BSR5MW Cocobolo top and back beauty with its Tiger Maple core sounds, in a word...great!!! It may not have a "neck-thru" sound or sophistication, but..."entry-level?" I think not!!

Ronson, I'm sorry, where did you see the words "entry-level" written in my post, or any of my posts for that matter? The $'s you spend are relative to the model purchased.

One day when you spend a few more $'s on a neck-thru (and I suspect you will......remember, I'm first in line in your Will......), you will better understand where I am coming from. In the mean-time, enjoy what you have (as I'm sure you will... ) because $ for $ there's nothing better on the market!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 04-17-2007 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:43 AM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:

Let me clarify what I meant. When I said entry level I was saying entry level in the Ken Smith line, and not entry level in the bass world. In the bass community BY NO MEANS WILL ANY KEN SMITH BASS BE CONSIDERED ENTRY LEVEL, but within the Ken Smith line most of the basses cost more. I was mainly saying that I would not have sold or traded a higher end model on a lower priced one if I had known more about the different models.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Posting Member

Quote:

Quote:
Ronson, I'm sorry, where did you see the words "entry-level" written in my post, or any of my posts for that matter? The $'s you spend are relative to the model purchased.

One day when you spend a few more $'s on a neck-thru (and I suspect you will......remember, I'm first in line in your Will......), you will better understand where I am coming from. In the mean-time, enjoy what you have (as I'm sure you will... ) because $ for $ there's nothing better on the market!

No, Tim. You didn't post it - Willie did, and you responded to that particular post!

And while I agree with you in general, I have to take the position that the neck-through basses have a "different" and specialized timbre and tonal feel, but not necessarily different to the point that distinguishes a bolt-on instrument as an "entry-level" instrument (Willie's description, not yours).

In fact, for the sake of friendly argument, it may be a safe assumption to say that there might be some folks out there who - dare I say it - prefer the sound of a bolt-on Ken Smith to a neck-thru, for whatever reason (now, you KNOW I don't know from personal experience yet, but...)

For Example: There could be some distinct tonal qualities in a BSR Pro Series Bass (bolt-on with graphite inlaid bars) that really is desirable with some player, no?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Let me clarify what I meant. When I said entry level I was saying entry level in the Ken Smith line, and not entry level in the bass world. In the bass community BY NO MEANS WILL ANY KEN SMITH BASS BE CONSIDERED ENTRY LEVEL, but within the Ken Smith line most of the basses cost more. I was mainly saying that I would not have sold or traded a higher end model on a lower priced one if I had known more about the different models.
I hear you, Willie. Point taken!
Old 04-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Well said....

Quote:

Well said Willie.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Well...

Quote:
No, Tim. You didn't post it - Willie did, and you responded to that particular post!

Ahh, I see said the blind man!

And while I agree with you in general, I have to take the position that the neck-through basses have a "different" and specialized timbre and tonal feel, but not necessarily different to the point that distinguishes a bolt-on instrument as an "entry-level" instrument (Willie's description, not yours).

I'm sure Willie meant "entry-level" price-wise.

In fact, for the sake of friendly argument, it may be a safe assumption to say that there might be some folks out there who - dare I say it - prefer the sound of a bolt-on Ken Smith to a neck-thru, for whatever reason (now, you KNOW I don't know from personal experience yet, but...)

Well, I would agree there are those out there that haven't played a neck-thru yet. And yes, you don't know yet, but you will! Don't forget: B (that's B as in Bishop) comes before S (S as in Smith).

For Example: There could be some distinct tonal qualities in a BSR Pro Series Bass (bolt-on with graphite inlaid bars) that really is desirable with some player, no?
Ummm, well, alrighty then. When you get your first neck-thru, let's re-visit.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 04-17-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Entry Level?

Entry Level into the Smith handmade models would be in this order;

J, J-MW, M, MW and then the P b4 getting into the NTs. So the MW is quite a bit up the ladder model-wise and has all the NT features except the Graphite and the NT itself. EB FB and other options are often added to Ms and MWs as well. If we never made more than the MW they would sill have a place on the Map in the Boutique Bass world. Many other Boutique makers ONLY Make BOs. We are one that offers both with all the high-end features many of which we introduced or developed over the last 28+ years.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Entry Level into the Smith handmade models would be in this order;

J, J-MW, M, MW and then the P b4 getting into the NTs. So the MW is quite a bit up the ladder model-wise and has all the NT features except the Graphite and the NT itself. EB FB and other options are often added to Ms and MWs as well. If we never made more than the MW they would sill have a place on the Map in the Boutique Bass world. Many other Boutique makers ONLY Make BOs. We are one that offers both with all the high-end features many of which we introduced or developed over the last 28+ years.
Well, Alright, Ken! You said it, and I feel good!

Tim, until I get my first NT (probably a Black Tiger Elite), you & Willie won't mind if I re-assume my self-imposed position as Ken Smith Bass Owner/King Of The World, will you? My wife & daughters have already accepted it (they roll their eyes from time to time, but, no matter...)

Of course, when the Black Tiger hits my house, I'll be glad to re-adjust my title!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

I have to say, nothing I've ever played feels like my BSR4EG. More than any other bass I've played, it feels like a solid, whole instrument. It feels like an extension of myself.

That heelless joint can't be beat for playing in the high registers either..

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 04-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Junior Posting Member

BobWankowski is on a distinguished road
Default I prefer bolt on.....

.......for some applications.

I have both.
My fretted is a neck thru and my fretless is a bolt-on.
My next Smith will be a 6MW Walnut which will give me 2 bolt on's and one neck thru by choice.

I find the neck thru and bolt ons to be opposite sides of the same
coin and for slap and fretless, I greatly prefer the feel and response of the bolt-ons.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:43 AM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWankowski View Post
.......for some applications.

I have both.
My fretted is a neck thru and my fretless is a bolt-on.
My next Smith will be a 6MW Walnut which will give me 2 bolt on's and one neck thru by choice.

I find the neck thru and bolt ons to be opposite sides of the same
coin and for slap and fretless, I greatly prefer the feel and response of the bolt-ons.
I have heard that before from others. From a money stand point I have always been able to come up with the cash for a bolt on. This is the first time I have had the means to get a new neck through model. Most of the gospel bass players I listen, and get frustrated trying to learn their licks all have neck throughs. That is why I am giving that a try this time around.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Posting Member

Dennis Michaels is on a distinguished road

I would just like to say that I have 2 "M" series basses. A tiger maple fretted 5 and a walnut fretless 5. I have always prefered the punch of a bolt on. It just feels right to me. Would I ever get a NT? I would never rule it out especially in a 6-7 string. But Ken builds slammin' basses with a choice. He as a luthier realizes that there is more than one way to build a perfect bass.For me BO's are the bomb. For others NT is the deal. Ken offers a choice of monster basses so let's agree to disagree.
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Tone matters so play the best through the best.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Let's agree to disagree....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Michaels View Post
Ken offers a choice of monster basses so let's agree to disagree.

Works for me!

Old 06-28-2007, 11:37 AM
Posting Member

Dennis Michaels is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Works for me!

All in favor?
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Tone matters so play the best through the best.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

I disagree with your agreement to disagree!!

My band's site:
Delusional Mind