Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Music [DB] > Member Bass Clips [DB]

Old 06-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Posting Member

Eduardo Barbosa is on a distinguished road
Arrow Jazz arco!

YouTube - ‪There is a small hotel‬‏

This is from last night.
and just for the record I hate to play with with a bow, but chick singers sometimes really insist, "...maybe you could do something with the bow..."! yeah, I am sure I could do something with the bow!!! :0

anyway, those are Pirastro Obligatos, about almost 4 years old. I am also only using a Golden Trinity mic, going into a 210 GK ( club amp).
The bow is a carbon fiber, as I refuse to bring a wooden bow to a jazz gig! lol
The bass is a Fantasia model by Linear. It's a 3/4 size with a 40 inch string lenght. Other than that the dimensions are pretty standard.
Thanks for watching.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:47 AM
Posting Member

Terry McDougal is on a distinguished road

Why do you hate playing with the bow Eduardo?
Old 06-19-2011, 02:22 AM
Senior Posting Member

Bin Hire is on a distinguished road

Nice phrasing Eduardo.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Posting Member

@Terry, I have playing Jazz with the bow, or any pop music I guess...
I feel that is really hard to get the articulation right. The accents on 2 and 4, an on the upbeats of 8th note phrasing. I also feel a lack of inspiration because 99% of jazz bassists have the same problem, on top of having some real bad intonation problems.
Also, if you noticed I have to hold the bow at a bit of an angle. When I play jazz I have the bass a little lower than when I play classical, because I feel like I can dig in more and transfer more of the weight of my arm into the pizz. That makes bowing especially challenging.
Trouble is... as I started doing it on some chick singer gigs I developed a taste for the damn thing!
Anyway, there is yet another aspect about it that I hate. Many times at rehearsal and/or recording sessions some chick singer will turn to you and ask "what if you tried something with the bow?" . But turns out they dont' have any idea of what they want or even what they are about to hear. And it is pretty much a novelty act.
Amazingly anything I play with the bow gets positive audience reaction, which sort of infuriates me. it's a little like I just finished playing Giant Steps on electric bass and the next thing is some dumb tune in Em, and I play a stupid slap solo with pentatonics, and sure enough, people will go crazy for it!
I hope that as I get better doing it, as I am committed to start practicing syncopation with the bow more often, maybe I will enjoy it more.

@Bin, Thank you!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:03 AM
Posting Member

Terry McDougal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Barbosa View Post
I feel that is really hard to get the articulation right. The accents on 2 and 4, an on the upbeats of 8th note phrasing. I also feel a lack of inspiration because 99% of jazz bassists have the same problem, on top of having some real bad intonation problems.
Eduardo, if they're playing out of tune with the bow, I'll bet they're playing out of tune pizzicato too.
Hey, no offence to your playing meant, I enjoyed the solo.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry McDougal View Post
Eduardo, if they're playing out of tune with the bow, I'll bet they're playing out of tune pizzicato too.
Yes, you are absolutely right. And I didn't mean to sound pretentious, I am the first one to have have poor intonation, but I just think that the bow brings it out a lot more.
The bow makes play different. For instance when I am playing Orchestral music, I work on the same passages forever. So I got enough time to figure out fingerings, and many times I start working on a passage at less than half of the speed that it needs to be played.
But when I am improvising, I find myself sort of like sliding onto the notes, and using more vibrato than I have to in order to make it work. And that's not my thing, it feels a little like I am cheating.
But hopefully as a practice more this type of playing I might be able to address those issues and enjoy it more.
Thank you.