Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 07-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Posting Member

Jeff Moote is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Moote
Default The Bass in Fifths

We have a 5 string bass thread, so I thought I'd start this one. I'm currently still tuning in 4ths but I'm seriously considering the change depending on the outcome of some discussion with a few teachers.

To begin discussion:
  • Do any of you currently tune in 5ths?
  • Have any of you tried it and gone back? If so why - was it the left hand challenges, or was it lack of acceptance by your peers or teacher(s)?
  • For those who are tuned in 5ths: What strings are you using? Who have you studied under - did you keep your teacher at the time, or did you find another (who was either more open minded or a 5ths player themselves)?
  • For those who've never tried it: What are your thoughts? Have you heard someone tuned in 5ths perform live?
I'll be posting in this thread as I continue the path toward fifths (or turn back running at some point ). I've had email exchanges with a few players, and I'm constantly researching any info I can find in the way of who is using this tuning, how/why, what books are available, string choices, etc.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down 5ths?

The concept has been around for centuries. It takes a great player to do this and be able to play all the material and play it in tune. The Bass is hard enough to play in tune in fourths, so why make things even more difficult.

I think the 5ths thing is interesting but thinking about it and doing it for real are not the same thing!
Old 07-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Posting Member

edit: Ken posted while I was writing this, so my later post and not this one is a response to his.

I'll begin with how I came to be interested in fifths tuning. I think the first time I heard anything about it was in reading about Joel Quarrington who I'm sure you're all familiar with at this point. I read his website and various comments on the message boards. I quickly learned of all the other people who are tuning their basses this way, as well as the history behind it (3 string basses tuned GDA, etc.)

Last year I heard Mr. Q premier the Harbison concerto, which was commissioned by the ISB but the fact that Quarrington would be playing it did have some influence in its composition (open strings, harmonics, etc.) as did the fact that some might use orchestra tuning and some solo.

More recently I heard Joel perform the Bottesini Gran Duo Concertante, but by this time I'd already become interested in the tuning as something I might want to try.

Recently I've become increasingly frustrated with intonation issues on the bass. Intonation that coordinates well with the other string instruments (all tuned in fifths) is one of the benefits usually presented by a defender of this tuning. Another that usually comes up right away is the open, sonorous texture that the bass takes on - this is what really got me. I recently tuned my E down to a D to grab the low note for a certain passage. In doing this the overtone series that was created really did something for the sound of my bass, as did the slightly lower tension (and yes, you don't need to get on me about using some lower tension strings than my favoured Original Flexocor)

All this combined with my desire for the contra C (which I'd otherwise get an extension for) really makes fifths tuning appeal to me. The fact that I'm young and not too far in my education, but far enough to handle the bass alright also means that I'm at a good point to be re-learning the instrument.

Right now my biggest obstacle is finding an appropriate teacher. My most recent studies were with a player from the Toronto Symphony and it was a very fruitful time for my learning. I'd love to continue those studies but for now school and location get in the way of that. The problem is that all the TSO players and in fact many of the pros in Ontario all studied under the same teachers - specifically under Tom Monahan (then principal of the TSO) at the University of Toronto. All of these guys are very strong on their idea of the "right" way to play the bass - that is: french bow, std tuning with a C ext (many using machines still) and a very conservative Simandl left hand technique. While this is a great way to play the bass for much of the orchestral repertoire, it has its limitations.

I've got a few names and the list of pros tuning in fifths grows as students of people like Joel head out into the world.

That's all for now, but like I said, more later as I learn more and get closer to making the switch...

Old 07-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The concept has been around for centuries. It takes a great player to do this and be able to play all the material and play it in tune. The Bass is hard enough to play in tune in fourths, so why make things even more difficult.

I think the 5ths thing is interesting but thinking about it and doing it for real are not the same thing!
Interesting that you say this. I agree entirely that it is a huge challenge to re-learn the instrument, and certainly to gain the left hand proficiency required. It does take a great player to do this well, but in tune?...

Playing in tune would not be a challenge I think fifths presents, as for each individual string the intervals are all the same. The increased shifting does add a degree of difficulty, but shifting is not the biggest cause of intonation problems for most players (tuned in fourths) anyway.

Still, your thoughts are valid and the challenges are very real. It certainly is something else altogether to actually do this and play the bass in fifths but like I said above the advantages are really appealing to me right now...

Old 07-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question Factors...

Jeff, on your comment about "3 string basses tuned GDA, etc." do you have the G-string on top or bottom in 5ths? I think in England at least it was 3 of the 4 strings we have now with the A on the bottom all in fourths. Over 99% of the Orchestra players in the world (maybe less) use fourths with or without an Ext. or a 5er to Low B or C. If this 5ths thing was a better option, more than just one or two players would have switched by now.

Next factor is the Bass. Many of the Basses we play today with 4 high tensioned steel strings in fourths were originally made for 3 lower tensioned Gut strings in 4ths or some other combination.

Many Basses today have sunken Tops from the extra pressure of 4 steel strings. Joel has a fine old Bass but I'm am not sure if it is a G.P. Maggini, a Santo Maggini (not related) of some other nice old Italian or even English made Italian copy. Regardless of who made his Bass, it is a 'smokin' instrument. I don't know if all the Basses out there could be successfully converted to 5ths and hold up structurally. Playability is the other factor. The Bass is hard enough to play as it is. Many a concert I shook my hands afterwards from fatigue.

I did recently and a long time ago as well tune my Bass in 5ths to give it a try. I was LOST!!

On d-tuning, I have also tuned down to Eb, D, Db and C on occasion and it was no picnic. I had to put fingerings in the music to remind myself where to play the notes up to the Ab before crossing over, etc. Also, I had to tune down and up during the music and count the turns on my tuner that I rehearsed. I look like the guy in the section fumbling with his Bass when in actuality, I'm the guy that is actually playing the written part correctly.

Currently I am working out this summer on my 5er to get ready to play Beethoven's 6th the Storm movement. It is only for a few passages I need the 5er being that the Extension is a lot of jumping and intonation is just about impossible. It is more likely that I will get injured trying than not. The 5-string is most likely what the piece was written for and not a 4-string tuned in 5ths, I think..
Old 07-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb Intonation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Moote View Post
Playing in tune would not be a challenge I think fifths presents, as for each individual string the intervals are all the same. The increased shifting does add a degree of difficulty, but shifting is not the biggest cause of intonation problems for most players (tuned in fourths) anyway.
Shifting not a cause for intonation problems?

I beg to differ... No, I don't beg, I just differ!
Old 07-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Posting Member

Ken, I really appreciate your input since you like my teachers have the advantage of experience I couldn't hope to have at this point in my life. That's what it's all about...

We should probably give others a chance to discuss or we might as well be talking privately, but anyhow..
Quote:
Jeff, on your comment about "3 string basses tuned GDA, etc." do you have the G-string on top or bottom in 5ths? I think in England at least it was 3 of the 4 strings we have now with the A on the bottom all in fourths.
Yes, I'm aware of the practice you speak of in England at the time (4ths up from A the same as our current A string). As far as I know though, some of the first examples of tuning in fifths were from the G on the bottom - basically that was the best they could do with the strings at the time. Now with 5 strings being the norm in some circles, we have B/C strings available that make CGDA tuning a reality.

Quote:
Over 99% of the Orchestra players in the world (maybe less) use fourths with or without an Ext. or a 5er to Low B or C. If this 5ths thing was a better option, more than just one or two players would have switched by now.
I don't know how literally you meant "one or two" but there are more than that (and the number is growing fast, as naturally all the students of these players are following). Of course the figure of 99% playing in 4ths either with an ext or 5th string is probably close to the truth. Old habits don't die quickly, but things change over time. At one time Viennese tuning was popular, and it's now making a comeback (mostly for solo use). What I'm getting at is that most players are using what they do because that's what their teacher used. The bass is such a young instrument (in its current form) that it really doesn't have the same background in tradition that the other string instruments do, so naturally players follow what tradition we do have.

Quote:
Next factor is the Bass. Many of the Basses we play today with 4 high tensioned steel strings in fourths were originally made for 3 lower tensioned Gut strings in 4ths or some other combination.

Many Basses today have sunken Tops from the extra pressure of 4 steel strings. Joel has a fine old Bass but I'm am not sure if it is a G.P. Maggini, a Santo Maggini (not related) of some other nice old Italian or even English made Italian copy. Regardless of who made his Bass, it is a 'smokin' instrument. I don't know if all the Basses out there could be successfully converted to 5ths and hold up structurally.
Joel's bass is indeed a 'smokin' instrument as anyone who has heard it will tell you (have you? You should make an effort to if not - he really is a wonderful soloist!). Do you think his students all have a fine old bass like that though? With careful selection of strings, the tension doesn't have to be high at all. For example the strings Joel uses have a total of 276.7 lbs of tension according to Thomastik's figures. A set of regular gauge Flex 92s (notably lighter than my current strings) have 271.4 lbs of tension. I don't think structurally the bass is at risk in the least. Now for generating tone, that's another question, but we face that challenge regardless of tuning.

Quote:
Playability is the other factor. The Bass is hard enough to play as it is. Many a concert I shook my hands afterwards from fatigue.
Alright, we can all relate to that. Playing the bass isn't easy, but I don't feel that fifths make it impossible by any means. I'm not misled to thinking it's easier in any way. This is just one of the factors that must be weighed against the benefits when considering the switch.

Quote:
I did recently and a long time ago as well tune my Bass in 5ths to give it a try. I was LOST!!

On d-tuning, I have also tuned down to Eb, D, Db and C on occasion and it was no picnic. I had to put fingerings in the music to remind myself where to play the notes up to the Ab before crossing over, etc. Also, I had to tune down and up during the music and count the turns on my tuner that I rehearsed. I look like the guy in the section fumbling with his Bass when in actuality, I'm the guy that is actually playing the written part correctly.
When I tuned to D it was not for a passage in a work I was performing, but an excerpt I was working on (for an audition). Having to switch mid-performance would be deadly, and is a good reason to use one of the choices available (C ext, 5 string, 5ths tuning). About getting confused... I didn't find it too bad at all. I wasn't sight reading, but I didn't need to include extra fingerings or anything to learn it. Perhaps my mind just works well for this kind of thing... engineering school must be good for something. This is clearly a technical task for the mind, not a musical one, so it can be overcome fairly easily.

Quote:
Currently I am working out this summer on my 5er to get ready to play Beethoven's 6th the Storm movement. It is only for a few passages I need the 5er being that the Extension is a lot of jumping and intonation is just about impossible. It is more likely that I will get injured trying than not. The 5-string is most likely what the piece was written for and not a 4-string tuned in 5ths, I think..
Funny you mention this - I'm performing the last 2 movements of the 6th next week. I don't have an ext so I'm just playing the low notes up (or not at all in the really fast bits). Luckily our conductor is a past cellist and understands that a lot of creative liberty can be taken with that part in terms of how much playing goes on vs. faking the notes. It is supposed to sound like a storm after all I don't think it matters what bass you play that on - 5 string or ext (or fifths) - Beethoven could never have intended for each note to be played with precision.

Quote:
Shifting not a cause for intonation problems?

I beg to differ... No, I don't beg, I just differ!
I didn't say it wasn't a cause - just not the biggest. Not in my mind anyway. It certainly is a factor in achieving good intonation, but it's usually the big leaps or shifting in upper positions that cause this. Fifths tuning even eliminates some of the big shifts, though everyone admits that more shifting is required period. I never said this was going to be easy...

Old 07-05-2007, 05:40 AM
Senior Posting Member

Matthew Tucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew Tucker

I heard Toronto bassist Andrew Downing last week in a small club. He played a german/czech bass tuned in fifths. He played solidly, at a variety of speeds, in tune all the way. Great player.

I don't understand how intonation should be any more of a problem than tuned in fourths? surely it depends what you are trying to play. In fifths, you play 10ths across three strings in the shape we would normally play octaves. In fact, probably a better way to get an in-tune 10th than spanning 4 strings like we do?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:26 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool 10ths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
I heard Toronto bassist Andrew Downing last week in a small club. He played a german/czech bass tuned in fifths. He played solidly, at a variety of speeds, in tune all the way. Great player.

I don't understand how intonation should be any more of a problem than tuned in fourths? surely it depends what you are trying to play. In fifths, you play 10ths across three strings in the shape we would normally play octaves. In fact, probably a better way to get an in-tune 10th than spanning 4 strings like we do?
I can see 10ths for Jazz playing but the Bow doesn't bend that way..lol

Try playing some of the Beethoven parts or even Mozart. At that point you are working twice as hard as the Cellos. Longer and thicker strings with a bigger body and heavier bow. Jumping octaves with the Bow would actually be more awkward I think especially for the left hand.

In Jazz, you can play any note you like moving the line around. In Classical, you can't. It is 'Jail' as far as that is concerned. A Bass tuned in 5ths to Low C is just another method of avoiding playing a 5-string Bass. I think!
Old 07-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up Food 4 thought...

I just pulled up a page from Joel Quarrington's website. Have a look at it and lets talk about this some more.

Currently as of an hour ago, I have two Basses in the shop tuned in 5ths using the regular strings for experimental purposes only. They are my Batchelder with Superflexibles and a Corsini with Helicore Orchestra Strings.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up FAQs..

I just emailed Joel and then found his FAQs which answer some of my questions..oops!
Old 07-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Posting Member

I have read through Joel's site extensively. For more thoughts from pros using fifths tuning, check out:
http://www.silviodallatorre.com/
http://www.dennismasuzzo.com/

Masuzzo has a method book out (one of, if not the first for fifths tuned bass) which I'm told is great but fairly elementary. Joel is working on one which he tells me is close to being ready.

Quote:
Currently as of an hour ago, I have two Basses in the shop tuned in 5ths using the regular strings for experimental purposes only. They are my Batchelder with Superflexibles and a Corsini with Helicore Orchestra Strings.
Just curious, did you tune the E down to C or put a different string on? G up to A can work but is really tight, and A down to G is usually not too floppy.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Tuning..

Quote:
I have read through Joel's site extensively. For more thoughts from pros using fifths tuning, check out:

Masuzzo has a method book out (one of, if not the first for fifths tuned bass) which I'm told is great but fairly elementary. Joel is working on one which he tells me is close to being ready.

Just curious, did you tune the E down to C or put a different string on? G up to A can work but is really tight, and A down to G is usually not too floppy.
I tuned the regular Strings Up and Down as needed to be in Fifths, Low C to High A. That 'party' is now OVER for good for me... Both Basses have been tuned back to normal 4ths.

I have played in 4ths for 42 years. I have 4-string Basses with and without GREAT working C-extensions and I have a 5-string Bass that plays easily and has a Huge sound. Probably my loudest Bass presently.

For me, it's 'fourths' all the way with or without an Ext. or 5er.

By the way, many players have worked their entire life in a professional Orchestra with only a regular 4-string, no Ext.!

'Old dog, NO tricks..
Old 07-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up Update..

Quote:
I just emailed Joel and then found his FAQs which answer some of my questions..oops!
I just heard back from Joel. Super nice guy. His email was at least as long if not longer than the one I sent him. I will stay in touch with him as he is writing a 5ths method currently. I will also learn more about his re-learning process in 5ths over time but I don't wanna bug him too much as he's a busy guy in great demand. I am thankful enough he replied at all. I was not expecting it so soon and not as much info either. We even discussed his Bass a little and talked about some of mine as well. A real down to earth guy from what I can tell.

This 5ths thing is something serious to look at but it is not a casual one at all.!
Old 07-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Question Dalla Torre?

Quote:

Is Dalla Torre also tuning his Orchestra bass, (the Grancino?) in 5ths as well?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
I just heard back from Joel. Super nice guy.
He sure is. He wrote me back very promptly as well and invited me to a masterclass he's giving in August. Unfortunately the registration deadline is passed, tuition is reasonable but money I don't have, and I probably couldn't get the day off work anyway.

Quote:
Is Dalla Torre also tuning his Orchestra bass, (the Grancino?) in 5ths as well?
I'm really not sure as I'm not particularly familiar with him actually - just his website which I find gives a nice overview of the different tunings for someone who doesn't know the history of the instrument (i.e. trying to explain it to your friends who play cello or violin etc.)

Quote:
This 5ths thing is something serious to look at but it is not a casual one at all.!
That's for sure! I'm glad though that you've taken a look at it and read what people like Joel have to say. I think everyone should at least know about this tuning, even if it remains that 99% play in fourths. I think though that at or near the beginning of one's education is a great time to start with fifths since there isn't too much to "un-learn" in terms of repertoire.

So reading about you taking your std tuning set up and down to achieve a crude CGDA tuning, I did this just for a few minutes tonight so that I could see how both sight reading and reading a familiar piece went. Not too bad I found... I played the tricky spots from the Trout quintet which I'm preparing for a performance in a couple weeks. There was indeed a little more shifting, but mostly short ones that could be pivots. Not too many bad notes Sight reading was not quite as great, but better than expected, so I'm really feeling good about the reading part of re-learning anyway. All that's left is to find a good teacher and the right set of strings (I think I'll go with Joel's preferred Dominants with Spiro low C, at least at first).

Old 07-13-2007, 01:58 PM
Junior Posting Member

Andrew Downing is on a distinguished road
Default my experiences in fifths.

Hi.

First, let me just say thanks to Matthew for your kind words about my playing a few weeks ago in Toronto.

I stumbled upon this thread doing the obligatory search for 'bass in fifths' that one does when one tunes ones bass in fifths. I just wanted to share some experiences with any interested parties about how it has worked for me.

I have been a double bass player for about eighteen years now. I mostly play improvised music, jazz, and some new music, but play the bass with the bow a good percentage of the time. I decided to experiment with fifths tuning about three years ago, mostly just to try it out and see if I like it. Lucky for me, I live in Toronto, and Joel Quarrington teaches here. I went to him for a few lessons, already having bought some appropriate strings and messing around at home in fifths for a while. After spending a few hours with him I was more intruiged than before, and decided to pursue it a little more seriously. Shortly thereafter, I got called to do a fairly prestigious teaching stint at the Banff Centre, which also afforded me the opportunity to play with Dave Douglas and Jeff Parker. I decided that I wasn't really ready to play in that situation in fifths, so switched back to fourths for a while for the sake of comfort. Then, I received a grant from the Canada Council for the Arts to do some study, so I decided to take a few months off performing to seriously pursue the fifths with Joel.

Joel's method is very complete, and he even convinced me to switch from French bow to German, which I love. He is an incredible and very involved teacher. He has compiled a technique and a practice routine that is very different from what I was used to - I had studied mostly 'Simandl-style' technique up to that point. I worked through the first little bit of Joel's work-in-progress book with him at those lessons, and I really look forward to it being published.

After three months of study with Joel, I started playing gigs again, and had to really concentrate hard on every note while performing to make sure I wan't a tone or two off in either direction depending on the string I was playing. All of the old technical tricks I had accumulated over the years didn't work any more, and I was required to think a lot about simplicity and melody to attempt to sound good. I continued to study with Joel for about another three months, and used both the lessons and experience playing 'in the real world' to develop comfort in fifths. Thankfully, I continue to feel like I'm learning more every time I play, and every day continue to feel more comfortable.

I have two instruments that I play. One is an average-sized 3/4 German bass from the early 1900s, and the other is a New Standard Cleveland plywood bass with a removeable neck for travel (note : it is an incredible bass - plywood never sounded so good!). On my German bass, I have been using Obligato fifths-tuning strings since they came out a few years ago. I currently have it strung, though, as an experiment with Velvet fifths-tuning strings. The Obligatos are really great sounding strings, but tend to 'roll' with the bow, making it a challenge to play cleanly all the time, especially arco at fast tempos. They also tend to unwind at the bridge from time to time. The Velvet strings sound really amazing with the bow - very clean and crisp - and allow the bass to let the low end come out quite nicely. They are maybe not so good for jazz playing, though. They are a bit metallic sounding and don't quite have the body that the Obligatos do, so I will likely switch back to Obligatos soon. On the New Standard, I have an Obligato A string on the top, a Velvet Anima D and G (well, an A tuned down to a G) and an Obligato low C. This combination really sounds great on that bass. I know it's a bit strange to have different 'middle strings', but the obligato actually matches very well with the Anima both pizz and arco. I am constantly experimenting with strings, though, so my setup changes from time to time.

Now, to the difference in sound. I can only really comment on how fifths and fourths differ from one another on the German bass, as I have only recently acquired the New Standard, and only know it in fifths. In my experience, it's true what they say - playing in fifths does change the tone of the bass. It did, however, take a while. My hypothesis is that the bass has to 'get used' to the fifths before it can take advantage of them. Now, I may be wrong about that - it may in fact be the player that has to get used to it, but I'm sure both aspects affect the transition. I feel like my bass has 'opened up' in a beautiful way. The tone of it seems a bit brighter and more focused, and it 'rings' in a way that I never noticed in fourths (I played Obligatos in fourths as well, so I know that different strings aren't the reason for it...). Although my basses are either smallish or made of plywood, they both really sound great all the way down to the low C. Musicians I play with have also noticed the same things - I get a lot of comments on how loud and ‘open’ my basses sound.

Technically, the fifths have also opened a lot of things up in my playing. I can't really comment on being an orchestral bassist, although for my own enjoyment I play a lot of classical music at home. In response to some comments about tenths and octaves, all of those ‘shapes’ that we learn can be relearned and rethought. For example, an octave ‘shape’ in tenths is just a backwards octave ‘shape’ in fourths, with the first finger playing the higher note two strings over from the fourth finger playing the lower one. It does take some time to get used to these things. As for the shifting, fifths is more easily manipulated using pivots on the thumb, extensions and stretches, but isn’t too cumbersome to get used to. Certainly the left hand does ‘move’ more than in fourths, but not to the extent that it becomes a big problem.

Being a bassist who usually doesn’t play in a bass section, I can’t really comment on the question of acceptance by peers. My musical community here doesn’t seem to have any sort of problem with what I’ve done, and in the creative and improvised music scene, individuality and personal style are the things you strive for anyway. It also means, for better or worse, that ‘sitting in’ is a bit difficult in either direction - others on my bass or me on other basses.

So, there you have some thoughts. I don’t think fifths is for everyone, just the same as fourths isn’t for everyone. I really enjoy the sound and the feeling of playing in fifths, and for me it’s the right thing to do right now. If you have the ‘itch’ to try it and can afford the time to do it with some seriousness, I highly suggest it - even if it isn’t for you, it’s worth a try.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb info..

Andrew, thank you for that long detailed explanation. Perhaps you could put an edited version in your Profile as it is currently blank.

On your Basses in 5ths, please tell us what the string lengths are for each Bass. Also, if you happen to know please tell us the string length on Joel's Bass as well. Thx..
Old 07-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Posting Member

I don't know how into podcasts you folks are, but if you look up NACOcast (put on by Chris Millard, principal Basoon of the NAC Orchestra) there's a great interview with Joel about fifths (though it's not done with bassists as the intended audience). He talks about his bass a bit on there.

http://www.nac-cna.ca/en/multimedia/podcasts/index.html: it's the 04.10.2006 NACOcast episode

Joel is playing regular 3/4 Dominants, so I'm guessing his string length is somewhere around 41-42" - anything longer than about 42.25" won't really work with those strings as far as I know.

As a side note, I've talked to my prospective new teacher and I will be starting studies though my university in the fall with him. He is a 4ths player though and through, but we talked a bit and he said if I want to try 5ths that he'd go with it. We agree on a few big tuning independent issues (use of extension fingerings/pivots, the amount of thought that should be given to Simandl, etc.) so I think it will go very well.

I'm hesitant still, but if I'm going to do it I should do so before I learn all the repertoire in fourths, and while I'm young and can learn quicker... we'll see!

Old 07-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Junior Posting Member

Andrew Downing is on a distinguished road
Default string length.

I've just added a small amount of stuff to my profile. The string length on my German bass is just over 42", and the New Standard's string length is pretty close to that as well. I've never played Joel's bass, so I'm not sure what the string length is on that.