Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 04-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Posting Member

Abe Gumroyan is on a distinguished road
Default Maggini and da Salo

Hi Gents,

I'm curious if the Maggini's and Gasparos double basses around have labels or inscriptions ?.... Or are these instruments attributed to these makers ?
Old 04-30-2009, 12:19 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool humm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Gumroyan View Post
Hi Gents,

I'm curious if the Maggini's and Gasparos double basses around have labels or inscriptions ?.... Or are these instruments attributed to these makers ?
That is a very good question. I can say this though. Neither of them ever put a date on their labels so if you see one that is dated, it was either added later, the label forged or the bass and label a total wannabe..

I would venture to say that the labeling would be the same for all the instruments that they both made from the Violin up thru the DB. They both used labels and many labels have been taken out so some might have them and some not.

Most Maggini and d'Salos are attributed I would imagine. Also, most that are attributed are done so falsely from what I have seen. Also, some of the later d'Salos were actually made by Maggini when he worked in the shop.

Also, in the list of instruments from the 2007 fair in Brescia, there is a maker listed as Francesco d'Salo who was the son of Gasparo so there's another name besides Maggini that worked in the shop.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Posting Member

Have you played a Maggini or Da Salo ?.... I totally agree with the false attributions with these instruments. As far as Liebermann's Maggini bass, I second the English theory. Looks very Lott-esque.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool yes..

Quote:
Have you played a Maggini or Da Salo ?.... I totally agree with the false attributions with these instruments. As far as Liebermann's Maggini bass, I second the English theory. Looks very Lott-esque.
I think that around 1971 while on tour and passing thru Chicago, I want into a shop and they brought out this tiny Bass and said it was the Dumas Maggini. The Ribs were 'shot', split thru and thru, up and down and were buckled. I was told the bass needed $1500 of restoration work with new Ribs made included (1971 dollars) but was for sale as-is.

I called several years later and was told it was purchased by a Chamber player. A few years ago it was back for sale in Chicago for about 80-85k. This is a very small Bass, maybe half sized at best. It was also shown at the Brescian fair two years ago.

On d'Salo, I was possibly in the same room with one at Kolstein's shop in the early-mid '70s. Sam said it was from Toronto and belonged to the State. That may be the same Bass from the Elgar book. I am told it is not a confirmed d'Salo but a very old Bass, possibly Brescian and possibly d'Salo. Another dealer tells me that Bass is a Fendt. My other source that has studied the Bass in person highly refutes that statement.

So, I held the Dumas (I was told that WAS the Bass by another authority) and I saw a possible d'Salo.

So as far as actual Double basses go, I have not actually played either.

I own two Basses that sound so good I would have to play one of these to see if mine stacks up or not. One of them is my attributed Storioni cornerless Bass. The attribution is highly doubted but is the name the bass is known by to many in the last 30-40 years. The owner of one of the real Maggini's that was on display in Brescia also played my Bass and was Very interested in it. That to me tells my that the sound 'stacks up' with the likes of his Maggini. Maybe different but good enough to interest a Maggini owner.

I know some people that have played the Draginetti d'Salo. One of them compared it to a Bass that I actually have played and said it was similar but the d'Salo was even bigger sounding.

I was invited to the Brescian fair by one of the organizers and encouraged to do so 'if I intend to be in this business as this is the first and last time in our life time that these Basses will be in the same room' so he put it. I was not able to go and missed out on it. I do however have an open invitation to play the Maggini of the player that played my Cornerless anytime I'm in the neighborhood. That is more of a possibility being it's well within driving distance.

On the Lieberman Bass, it looks British to me from the pictures but who's to say from just pics.

Now remember this, there are more British Basses in professional Orchestras than most people know. Many of them are referred to as Italians. The players that have them love them so much that they are rarely sold. The London Orchestras are proud of their home grown product. I own 4 English Basses currently (one modern) and sold a 5th a few years back as well as having playing several others. Each of them were top notch Basses so if the Lieberman Bass is British, so what? If it's that good that it can pass for a Maggini (to some) then it must be a great bass.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:21 AM
Posting Member

Ken,

The Maggini that you're talking about wouldnt be the one in the NSO would it ?... That was my teachers old bass that he found in Avignon, France on tour awhile ... pretty awesome instrument if I may say so myself.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:13 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool Nso..

Quote:
Ken,

The Maggini that you're talking about wouldnt be the one in the NSO would it ?... That was my teachers old bass that he found in Avignon, France on tour awhile ... pretty awesome instrument if I may say so myself.
I looked above and didn't see my NSO reference but yes, that's the one that was in Brescia on display that's in DC, Rick's bass.