Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > German School of Basses

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Junior Posting Member

Johannes Felscher is on a distinguished road
Default Any ideas what this bass might be (worth)?

Hello everybody,

first of all this is my first posting on this great forum, and I hope that some of you might have some input!
I was offered a bass which is in good shape, supposedly German and around 80-100 years old. All repairs seem to be done well. The bass has a destroyed German label of "Wilhelm Uebel - violin & bass repairs and...(something like that)", hard to tell if that's the actual builder or someone who did repairs in the past. Another label is from Kolstein (I guess I should go and ask him too after the weekend): Restored in 1999.

I didn't take too many pictures, but you hopefully get the idea. The body seems to be 3/4, maybe even slightly on the small side and sounds puts out a lot of fundamental for it's size, good projection, very articulate and great lows, especially when played pizz. Scale lenght is 42,5".
The asking price is 10k, and even though the bass seems to be a bit more sophisticated than many generic German shop basses I've recently tried (another thread on those to come), I'm not sure if the price tag is justified. I know it's gonna be hard to judge from the very few pictures, but by the time I had it at home for trial I didn't feel like taking too many photos, would become handy now.

Any input on this one?

Johannes

PS: On the picture with two basses it's the one in the front. I hope you don't mind the mess of sheets underneath, didn't expect to make these accessible to anyone. ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	1379
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1773  Click image for larger version

Name:	close_up.jpg
Views:	1085
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	1775  Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	1239
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1776  Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs.jpg
Views:	917
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1777  Click image for larger version

Name:	scroll.jpg
Views:	887
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1778  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bass-ehe.jpg
Views:	1165
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	1779  

Last edited by Johannes Felscher; 08-29-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Additional info