Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 06-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Junior Posting Member

Chris Holsopple is on a distinguished road

March 15, 1997. I walked into Chuck Levin's to buy a new 5 with no particular bass in mind. Never heard of Smith then. I played all sorts of pricey basses that day (some twice the price of the Smith I bought) and couldn't find "the one". We were about to leave and the salesman asked me to wait and he'd go get me a few Smith's to try. I looked at my cousin (who is also a bassist) and we shrugged our shoulders and figured they couldn't be any worse than what I'd already tried.

From the minute Brian opened that first case, I knew it. This was it. I picked it up, played a few notes and looked at my cousin again and he was grinning just as much as I was. I tried 3 different Smith 5's that day and bought that first one that I played. A BSR5M, ash body, black hardware. Unreal tone and playability. I sold the bass 3 years later to fund a BSR5P. For over four years now, I have tried unsuccesfully to find the bass and buy her back. Maybe someday she'll come home...
Old 06-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Posting Member

Dennis Michaels is on a distinguished road

April '06. I was on the road with "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" and I went to a Sam Ash in Indianapolis INd. I was only going to buy strings that day for SR5 and my Warwick 5. I was browsing as we all do and there it hung on the used wall. Brand new '03 new Stock. She was a tiger maple 5M with dead strings but I had to play it... I did this only to prove that "designer basses" were NOT ALL THAT and my trusty pre CBS Fenders at home and the 2 basses I had with me were as good. So I brazingly plugged it in to the Hartke combo (which was the only amp plugged in). I played about 6 notes and spent a week trying to strike a deal and I did. The following June I ordered my Sm Fretless in walnut from Ken and picked it up in on Nov. 7. I have not looked back. These are the best basses I have ever played. PERIOD.

www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Tone matters so play the best through the best.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Great Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Michaels View Post
April '06. I was on the road with "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" and I went to a Sam Ash in Indianapolis INd. I was only going to buy strings that day for SR5 and my Warwick 5. I was browsing as we all do and there it hung on the used wall. Brand new '03 new Stock. She was a tiger maple 5M with dead strings but I had to play it... I did this only to prove that "designer basses" were NOT ALL THAT and my trusty pre CBS Fenders at home and the 2 basses I had with me were as good. So I brazingly plugged it in to the Hartke combo (which was the only amp plugged in). I played about 6 notes and spent a week trying to strike a deal and I did. The following June I ordered my Sm Fretless in walnut from Ken and picked it up in on Nov. 7. I have not looked back. These are the best basses I have ever played. PERIOD.

Couldn't have said it better myself, great story!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Posting Member

Dennis Michaels is on a distinguished road

My biggest thrill was go to pick up my fretless when it was done. Having the opportunity to meet Ken and crew while picking up my soul was one of my finest musical memories. My fiance' and her daughter came with me for the "Big day" and Ken was a sweatheart to all of us. I learned more about a lot of stuff hanging with Ken for 2 hours and even my step daughter is still talking about that trip.
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Tone matters so play the best through the best.