Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 05-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Junior Posting Member

Dan Berkowitz is on a distinguished road
Default Is a Corsini a Corsini?

I've read some posts about Ken's Corsini basses. My recently-acquired Matthias Kriner is also labeled as a Corsini. Is this a generic label or a name that describes specific traits and design elements?

If it helps, mine is fully carved, likely Romanian. Spruce top with round poplar back and poplar sides, violin corners, mensure around 41.25".

Here is a link to some photos:

Matthias Kriner bass

I understand this bass was set up initially in the Kolstein shop but not sold by that shop. The endpin was changed out to a New Harmony carbon fiber model and the tailpiece was changed from a Kolstein to a conventional model.

Last edited by Dan Berkowitz; 05-25-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: update photo links
Old 05-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Corsini..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Berkowitz View Post
I've read some posts about Ken's Corsini basses. My recently-acquired Matthias Kriner is also labeled as a Corsini. Is this a generic label or a name that describes specific traits and design elements?

If it helps, mine is fully carved, likely Romanian. Spruce top with round poplar back and poplar sides, violin corners, mensure around 41.25".

Here is a link to some photos:

Matthias Kriner bass
I would have to say that the use of the name Corsini is just that, the use of it. There was an actual maker of Violins from Rome in the early-mid 20th century named Giorgio Corsini. I can only assume that the Calin Wultur shop just borrowed or adapted that name for one of their models. I don't know of any actual Double Basses having been made by the actual real Corsini from Rome. Just like the Kriner name on your bass which is either borrowed or made up being that this family of makers are from Germany and not Romania having worked in various parts of Germany in the 18th and 19th centuries.

This is done with most factory/shop made instruments today from the Eastern countries as well as the far East in China. There are actual Romanian and Hungarian makers using their own names in instruments and one from China that I know of that has production which is Shen.

Almost all makers use famous proven names to make, design after and/or market their products after. In the case of Wultur, it is a Corsini 'model', clearly stated. What that is exactly I would like to know. Recently a modern Italian bass from the 20th century came into a shop for repair. I received a phone call from the Luthier telling me how much it looked in design to my imported 'Amati' models I brought in from China recently.

So, I guess there is no copyright on using the name Corsini. After all, it's just a name. In the case of Mathius Kriner, there you have an actual maker of which I have seen 2 real Kriner basses and they look nothing like a Romanian Corsini model. What's in a name? Go figure!
Old 05-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Junior Posting Member

Thanks for the info, Ken.

As I read your post, I noticed that not even the name Matthias is standardized :-)
Old 05-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default Matt...

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Ken.

As I read your post, I noticed that not even the name Matthias is standardized :-)
In one of my books I find two makers, different centuries with one spelled Matthaus with the .. over the 'a' and also a Matthias from the 18th century as you spelled it but also listed "his violins are very rare". My spelling above was maybe a Typo but someone somewhere might use that. Also the first one listed, the 19th century maker also spells the last name Krinner as well.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

That scroll and maybe the varnish remind a Romanian factory bass I used to have; I forget for sure when it was made though. Probably in the mid Seventies.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
In one of my books I find two makers, different centuries with one spelled Matthaus with the .. over the 'a' and also a Matthias from the 18th century as you spelled it but also listed "his violins are very rare". My spelling above was maybe a Typo but someone somewhere might use that. Also the first one listed, the 19th century maker also spells the last name Krinner as well.
I've also seen a recent maker label as Mathias Thoma – only one "t" in the first name – just to introduce yet another variation.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
That scroll and maybe the varnish remind a Romanian factory bass I used to have; I forget for sure when it was made though. Probably in the mid Seventies.
Thomas...did you Romanian bass have a maker name?
Old 05-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Posting Member

Sam Sherry is on a distinguished road

Those Romania labels can be tricky . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wine Romaina 98 Med4.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1638  
Old 05-27-2010, 02:39 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thomas...did you Romanian bass have a maker name?
Sorry Dan, I honestly don't remember; all I do know is that it was Romanian and a pretty ordinary factory bass. I've seen a few others like it around; I'll have a look and see if I can find one. It's probably not even relevant though; I just saw that you said "Romanian" in the first post and noted that the scroll looked familiar.