Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > English Basses & the British Isles

Old 03-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool This particular bass??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
Got a chance to visit Ken's shop last week. Ken was remarkably generous, hospitable, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic. It is not an evening I will forget anytime soon.

We spent close to five hours, playing and listening to all of Ken's wonderful instruments. They were each very special and noteworthy, in their own unique ways.

This particular bass was simply awe-inspiring, in the most literal sense. When I hit the E string with a bow, it was as close to effortless as I have ever felt. When I first tried the bass, I was definitely over-playing; using too much tension and force, in both arms. The unfortunate result of coaxing sound out of lesser instruments for awhile, I fear.

Per Ken's suggestion, I relaxed and let the bass do the work. the difference was remarkable. One seemingly only needs to stand somewhat near this bass for it to play; rich, full, organ-like tones just roll off of the E and A strings, with virtually no effort. The upper register is full and warm, yet very vocal and piercing.

Playing this bass with Ken's Sue Lipkins bow was one of the most effortless and rewarding things I have ever felt in my bass-playing life. The music just happened, with no thought or effort.

The shoulders didn't seem wide or awkward to me. But then, I am somewhat tall. Even so, the sounds that come out of this bass and the ease with which they magically appear is priceless and, I think, worth a bit of reaching, if one's stature requires it.

I ache when I think of how fun this bass was to play. Somebody will be very happy when they buy this instrument. What a trip it would be to play, day after day.
Eric, thanks for the great mention but, you played the Hawkes Panormo 'copy', the Concert model. Not the Panormo School English Bass. That was still up at Arnold till just a few days ago. If you liked the bottom on the Hawkes, you would die for the bottom on the Panormo.

I used it last night. The sound is so rich and smooth that I think for me at least, the extra size is worth the stretch. I will start working with this bass practicing for my next concert in April. The low end cushion is about as thick as it gets. The upper register is not at all dry like many English basses are. It's sweet and rich with plenty of volume as well. Feels more Italian to me than English in some ways.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Eric, thanks for the great mention but, you played the Hawkes Panormo 'copy', the Concert model. Not the Panormo School English Bass. That was still up at Arnold till just a few days ago. If you liked the bottom on the Hawkes, you would die for the bottom on the Panormo.

I used it last night. The sound is so rich and smooth that I think for me at least, the extra size is worth the stretch. I will start working with this bass practicing for my next concert in April. The low end cushion is about as thick as it gets. The upper register is not at all dry like many English basses are. It's sweet and rich with plenty of volume as well. Feels more Italian to me than English in some ways.
Ah well, yet one more time when I was mistaken...

I lost count, its happened so many times.

Frankly, I can't even imagine what the real thing sounds/feels like. The copy was pretty amazing, in its own right...

Old 05-15-2011, 01:39 AM
Posting Member

Abe Gumroyan is on a distinguished road

Just out of curiosity ... where did the Panormo on the Gallery Strings site end up ... I know where the Filo/Martin Panormo ended up because I get to play it every once in awhile .. boy what a TANK
Old 05-15-2011, 02:32 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Gumroyan View Post
Just out of curiosity ... where did the Panormo on the Gallery Strings site end up ... I know where the Filo/Martin Panormo ended up because I get to play it every once in awhile .. boy what a TANK
That might be a very old sale. Maybe calling and asking them would get your answer.