Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > The Bull Pit

Old 02-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow RIP Whitney

I wanted to express my sorrow and respect for Whitney Houston, her family and loved ones in her sudden passing. I was about to post this the moment I heard the news but because my Bass was on stage with her for about 15 years with Ricky Minor, her Musical Director, I didn't want this at all to come off as anything commercial.

Currently I am watching TV, MSNBC with Lawrence O'Donnell and Ricky Minor was just introduced. Looking her up in Wiki just now I saw this;

Whitney Houston performing at Good Morning America in Central Park on September 1, 2009.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sept. 1st is my Birthday, I was 57 that day and when asked my age I would say all that year 'Heinz' from "Heinz 57 Varieties" as a joke, but true.

Getting back to Whitney, they came to NYC back in the 1990s and played at Radio City. That was the Tour where her mother directed the Church Choir on a number (or two?) and Ricky conducted one number I think in Tux and Tails, putting his Bass down and handing the Bass chair over to Freddy Washington for that one song. That was probably the best tour musically that she did combining her current music along with her roots, her Mother's Church Choir where she started.

One day with my Radio on at home, I heard a song come on and this voice, it stopped me in my tracks. It was Whitney, and I said to myself, that's a HIT! It was her first of many to come and the rest is history.

Rest in peace.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Posting Member

Lou Laurenti is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks Ken

Ken that was a very well stated. Glad you posted it for all of us to read.